“a good experience”

Ranked #2 of 49 Hotels in Victoria
Hedingen
“a good experience”
Reviewed 13 June 2014

The Hotel Magnolia is an ideal Location to visit and explore Victoria. Very friendly and service mindet staff, clean and Relaxing rooms and Hotelambiance. Nice and rich Breakfast with fine food Quality.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

MagnoliaHotelGM, General Manager at Magnolia Hotel And Spa, responded to this review, 13 June 2014
Dear Martin,

Thank you so kindly for the lovely feedback following your recent visit.
I am so pleased to hear you enjoyed the hotel and the breakfast.
It was a pleasure to speak with you in the lobby, and I truly hope
we have the opportunity to welcome you back again.

Best Wishes,

Bill Lewis

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (357)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Reviewed 12 June 2014

Booked before and liked the location & service ....but this time when we booked through Expedia.ca....the continental breakfast was not included because of booking through expedia.ca....had no service upon arrival...had to retrieve my luggage my self and place it on a trolly....phoned prior to having our car reading and when it was time to go... the car was not ready....poor communication between front desk and the person retrieving the car....they didn't get the car until we were standing there asking where the car was...had to ask the maid for more water for our rooms. Sheets had some stains... was not impressed...had the harbour view with bird poop on the window....getting to be a run down old hotel that charges it's customers too much especially around June.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Angelien M
Thank you for your recent stay with us at The Magnolia Hotel & Spa.

I am very sorry for the issues you faced during your visit with us. The issues you mentioned are clearly not at the level you should expect at The Magnolia Hotel & Spa. This is truly disappointing to hear and I have reached out via private message and hope we can be in touch further.

With respect to breakfast, I am also very sorry to hear how this impacted your stay and any confusion about being included. The Magnolia Hotel launched a new breakfast & brunch program in January. Breakfast is not included in all rate plans and packages. The hotel makes every effort on our website to ensure that all policies are very clear. We also have a wonderful team of service professionals available by phone to answer any reservations questions at any time.

The entire team at The Magnolia takes great pride in delivering an exceptional and personalized boutique hotel experience, including keeping the hotel in pristine condition. I was surprised you felt the hotel was “run-down” given our extensive room renovation last year in a building that is only 15 years old.

Thank you again for your business with our hotel. I hope that we can be in touch further and see you back again with us in Victoria.

Tel: 250 412 8480
Email: GM@Magnoliahotel.com
Denman Island, Canada
Reviewed 12 June 2014

I've stayed in the Magnolia a number of times before and always enjoyed it. Great central location. I do recall that on a previous visit I was thinking that it could do with some refreshing. Well they have done just that, updating the rooms & giving it a nice new vibe while maintaining the comfort & elegance that had always brought me here before. My husband & I stayed in a really lovely corner room (#402) which actually had a nice harbour view and four windows which brought in a wonderful amount of light (and sunshine in the afternoon which made the room a very nice spot for an aperitif before going out for dinner). The King bed & plump pillows were comfortable, the bedside lamps now have plug-ins so you can charge your phone or iPad easily without having to find a wall socket. The small marble topped bar with hidden fridge underneath & newly upgraded Keurig one-cup coffee/tea brewer is great. A nice Green touch is the use of large, elegant stoppered glass carafes filled with water which replace the previously used plastic-bottled water provided. Also a nice touch are the two wine glasses provided on the bar. The service here is excellent, both rooms & lobby. A nice touch was that when they mistakenly brought around the wrong car from the garage one afternoon they comped the Valet Parking fee for that night - much appreciated. We also loved the latest incarnation of the restaurant - now Catalano. The Italian-style tapas, "cicchetti" were excellent & the rest of the menu sounded good as well. My husband loved the Catalano burger with the Gorgonzola (but warns you must love Gorgonzola!) & fabulous duck fat frites with piquillo aioli. We each had excellent wine by the glass (the Argento Malbec is very good value) & their choices are interesting. The restaurant is also the stage for your complimentary Continental breakfast (with the option now to upgrade to a more substantial one). I think the new restaurant serves a much better Continental than the previous one did. While the selection is smaller, the fresh French pastries are more interesting, the greek yogurt & jam packed in little Mason jars is to die for, and the coffee is much better than before (thank you!). I also had the pleasure of a spa session in the serene & well-appointed spa. Still love the Magnolia, love the changes they've made & will definitely return.

Room Tip: Corner rooms on the harbour side get afternoon sunlight & are delightfully bright & welcomin...
Dear Tullyree

Thank you so much for the wonderfully detailed review about your recent stay.
I am so pleased to hear that you enjoyed the room refresh which we completed about a year ago.
We were so pleased by the new look that our hotel designer came up with, and it is wonderful to hear you enjoyed the new look. We take great pride in ensuring that our boutique hotel continues to improve and upgrade our service levels and product to keep our hotel at the highest level.

Thank you also for the lovely comments about the breakfast changes and the in room water. As noted above we continue to look for ways to improve our offerings, and both of these changes also allowed us to considerably reduce waste and produce some great upgrades in both areas. We agree that Chef Aaron has really come up with a great breakfast concept, along with his wonderful Cicchetti and Mediterranean inspired food.

I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back again soon

If I can be of personal assistance at any time, please let me know at GM@Magnoliahotel.com or my direct line at 250 412 8480

Surrey
Reviewed 11 June 2014

A gem walking distance to the Harbour and downtown Victoria. There is no need to drive for most places. Great food and shopping nearby,
The rooms with harbour view are spectacular and staff is very friendly.

La Conner, Washington
Reviewed 9 June 2014

Had the opportunity to stay two nights over last weekend at the Magnolia. Was everything my wife and I could have asked for. Room was spotless, beautifully appointed, and the bathroom had a standup shower. No crawling over the edge of a tub. Had a couple of complimentary passes for breakfast...which was excellent. Hotel is situated almost adjacent to the Empress, easy walk to the wharf and other nearby restaurants. Would unhesitatingly recommend it.

1 Thank Brooks H
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 9 June 2014

This is a really hip and fun boutique hotel. We booked it for a girls getaway and really enjoyed our trip. It is a smaller hotel but is in a great location. The spa is simply AMAZING. Please splurge on a treatment. The bar/lounge is really hip and fun. They serve a complimentary breakfast that we really enjoyed. The rooms are clean and well appointed. They are not very large but extremely comfortable. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 8 June 2014

This hotel is conveniently located in downtown Victoria, walking distance to everything. Breakfast that was included in ours ate was delicious. Rooms we're clean and spacious. We will definitely come back in the future!!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

MagnoliaHotelGM, General Manager at Magnolia Hotel And Spa, responded to this review, 9 June 2014
Dear 22Court,

Thank you for your recent visit with us at The Magnolia Hotel & Spa.
We appreciate your business and I would like to thank you personally for taking the time to share your review.

I am so pleased to hear that you enjoyed the breakfast, the rooms and the cleanliness, and our central location.

I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back again soon.

If I can be of personal assistance at any time, please let me know directly at gm@magnoliahotel.com

Best Wishes,