“lovely........but with one exception”

Magnolia Hotel And Spa
Ranked #2 of 49 Hotels in Victoria
Reviewed 9 September 2010

Spent a lovely 2 nights at this hotel. Clean, cozy, and close to everything but still had the feel of being away. The Continental Breakfast was fine nothing great but kinda hit the spot till lunch. My husband had a spa treatment and really enjoyed it. The one excpetion though kind of bugged me as it was never mentioned by staff when checking in nor could I find it on their web site maybe it is somewhere in tiny print but I never saw it. It was the valet charges, they offer parking in the garage then when we checked out it was 30.00 (15.00 day) + tx so I wasn't to pleased but paid anyway because I did not want to fuss. I did say to the staff that it should be mentioned in the web site but she just brushed it off. This is why I would not give 5 stars for this hotel.

Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank happyfour
MagnoliaHotelGM, General Manager at Magnolia Hotel And Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 10 September 2010

Thank you for your recent stay with us at The Magnolia Hotel & Spa.

We are pleased you enjoyed your stay with the exception of the confusion about the parking fees. Based on feedback including yours we have revised our newly re-launched website to clearly identify the charges for valet parking. I apologize for the confusion and would be pleased to rectify this issue to your satisfaction. I have sent a private message with my contact info to you.

Thank you again for your recent stay with us at The Magnolia Hotel & Spa.

We hope to see you back with us soon,

Bill Lewis
The Magnolia Hotel & Spa

There are newer reviews for Magnolia Hotel And Spa

Reviewed 6 September 2010

This hotel was spacious, luxurious, and clean. The staff was very accommodating and informative. We had a very pleasant two night stay on a 3 week Alaskan/Canadian adventure. The best hotel of the trip. Located next door to the Empress for half the price. Every bit as plush but with a nice boutique feeling.

1  Thank MaryLakeZurich
Reviewed 2 September 2010

We loved our visit to Victoria, and were especially glad we stayed at this hotel!! The staff was very friendly and helpful from the moment we arrived until we departed. We were delighted to have decided to stay in a corner room. It was beautiful, very comfortable, with lots of windows. We were happy to see the separate shower in our bathroom. And we were so fortunate to have a wonderful view overlooking the Parliament. I would certainly request this again!! We did have tea at the Empress, and were glad to go back to our peaceful hotel later on. The only negative is that it is not on the water.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kellynewmexico
Reviewed 1 September 2010

We had the opportunity to stay at this lovely hotel for 3 nights in August. We selected this hotel because of the reviews on trip advisor and we were not disapointed. It is in a GREAT location right in back of the Empress and we had the location without the turmoil of the Empress. It is a lovely smaller scale hotel with everything we could ask for. Beds are very comfortable, bath has everything we needed. We upgraded to the upper level rooms with a very nice view of the harbor. My only complaint, and it is small, is upon check-in the greeting was not so warm. We arrived I belive right when the staff was changing shifts. I felt we were annoying the check-in clerk because she was ready to "go home" for the day. She signed us in and gave us our room keys. When we went to the room it was occupied - YIKES! Fourtuanetely there was another employee on the floor who called down to the front desk to get it taken care of. Sorry, but giving someone room keys to an occupied room is a big NO- NO in my book. As nice as everything else was this did not sit well with me. Sorry - no excuse. If I was in the occupied room and someone walked in on me with a room key I would have been VERY upset.

1  Thank Travelbug0517
MagnoliaHotelGM, General Manager at Magnolia Hotel And Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 2 September 2010

Thank you for your recent stay with us at The Magnolia Hotel & Spa, and for taking the time to write such a nice review of your stay. On behalf of our entire team, it was our pleasure to have you at the hotel and we appreciate your kind comments.

I would like to also express my sincere apology for your check in experience including the very unfortunate incident of being issue keys to an occupied room. This is obviously a totally unacceptable mistake as you pointed out, and I'm glad there was a hotel associate closely available to correct the problem. I have sent a private message to you as well, as I would welcome further information to follow up this issue at the hotel.

Thank you again for sharing your positive feedback about your hotel stay with us at The Magnolia Hotel & Spa.

I hope we have the pleasure of serving you again soon,

Bill Lewis

Reviewed 25 August 2010

Stayed at magnolia while in town for a girlfriends wedding. The staff were great trying to give us the best experience possible and very accommodating!
I thought the beds were great, loved the aveda soaps/shampoos, soft and firm pillows (how nice to have a choice), and especially LOVED the included breakfast! It was HUGE! From granola and yoghurt to belgium waffles with whip cream, they had it all!! Another bonus was the cold lemonade in the lobby - great, as it was very hot outside!
I will definitely come back!!

Reviewed 8 August 2010

My fiance & I came over the 4th of July weekend for a romantic getaway from Seattle. We took the Clipper over & had chosen the Magnolia Hotel based on reviews we had read on tripadvisor. It was a little on the pricey side although that was to be expected with Victoria.

Check-in wasn't available until 3pm and we arrived via the Clipper at 11am. We opted to stroll around before finally checking into our hotel. The hotel is in a good location and only a few blocks from the "harbor."

The room was oversized and had a fully stocked mini-bar as well as room-darkening curtains. I loved the tub (it was sunken and fit two people) as well as the free-standing shower. My favorite touches had to be the bottle opener on the mini-bar as well as the bath bomb that was part of the bathroom amenities. It came into good use as I forgot to bring a Lush bath bomb.

Breakfast was complimentary next door in the morning to the connecting restaurant and it was limited in food. It was really more of a continental breakfast than anything. It was free so we had a few items to eat (cereal, bagel, etc).

Check-out was pretty painless and the bill was slid under our door before check-out. Most hotels don't do this anymore so it was a nice touch to know what your final bill was (taxes, etc).

I would recommend this for folks without children as it seemed like a quiet hotel and more of a romantic place.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 August 2010

This is one our our all-time favorite hotels. Small, with personalized and excellent service, the Magnolia is not to be missed. It is only a block or so from the inner harbor and is quiet and accessible. The rooms are well done and quiet; the bathroom one the best we've ever encountered. A very good continental breakfast is included with the room. The hotel's restaurant, Prime, is the best steakhouse in the city. It is just as well run as the hotel and the food is excellent. A highly recommended hotel.