Stayed here 2 days/1 night for an overnight in Victoria for our 10th wedding anniversary. It wasn't super special, but I have definitely stayed in worse.
The room was fine. We stayed in the nicer class of room on the 6th floor. The fireplace was nice, but having a way to relax in front of it would be better. There was definitely some dinginess around the baseboards, bathroom tiles, etc. but I actually walked around without flip-flops, which is pretty good for me (or maybe I was too tired to care). TV was pretty big. Bed was pretty comfortable.
The bathroom, as I said, was a little dingy, but not really dirty. You could really hear everyone else in their bathrooms and the hallway. We specifically wanted a spa tub for some relaxing, but it didn't fit 2 people at all, and the drain kept gurgling. Lighting varies from off to harsh to very harsh.
As vegetarians, the steak restaurant wasn't the best option, but that was our only option for room service. They did try, but it ended up being a meal of sides. Baked potato (sour cream and onions, no cheese, no butter, no broccoli...) cauliflower gratin (tasted good, but it was runny and the cauliflower could have been cut smaller), and mushroom risotto (very good), Breakfast had a lot of options, more than pastries and juice, but the quality was just average. As someone else said, it was enough to tide me over until lunch. The families just hanging out with their crying kids in the restaurant made me wish I had taken it to my room. There seemed to be a lot of kids running around and yelling for a spa hotel. Especially at night in the hallway.
The service overall was indifferent. They would do anything you asked, but only if you asked. Nothing was offered. Nothing special was arranged for our 10th anniversary like the website mentions. The location was pretty central to Victoria, so that was nice. They will hold onto your bags before check-in and after check-out (if you ask), especially needed if you're coming/going on the Clipper.
It's a fine place to stay, but the only advantages you get over a more budget hotel are:
feels slightly cleaner
tub (not very relaxing, though)
more options at continental breakfast
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Downtown Victoria’s Favourite Boutique Hotel.Beautifully refreshed new guest rooms with plush textures, elegant patterns and raw-silk inspired walls. Outstanding location, just 2 blocks from Victoria’s picturesque Inner Harbour and in the heart of the city’s best shopping, dining and entertainment. Tranquil Spa Magnolia and the exciting new Catalano Restaurant & Cicchetti Bar. The kind of undistracted attention you can only receive in a boutique hotel with just 64 rooms. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Priceline, Ebookers, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd, Cancelon, HotelQuickly and getaroom.com so you can book your Magnolia Hotel And Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Magnolia Hotel And Victoria
- Magnolia Hotel Victoria
- Magnolia Hotel And Spa Victoria, Vancouver Island