“Wonderful hotel and staff, great location”

Magnolia Hotel And Spa
Ranked #2 of 49 Hotels in Victoria
Atlanta
“Wonderful hotel and staff, great location”
Reviewed 9 January 2011

This boutique hotel really is quite a find. It's centrally located and the staff (front desk, valet, etc.) were simply fantastic. We had a deluxe corner room, and it was very nicely appointed, large and with many windows. We found the complimentary breakfast to be excellent and the holiday treats in the lobby (apple cider and cookies) a nice touch. The wine and cheese early evening gathering/social was also a pleasant surprise. I'd definitely recommend this hotel; a nice change from larger 'chain' hotels.

1 Thank ATLTraveler1212

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (357)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 6 January 2011

The Magnolia is still Number One in service and quality in Victoria! The staff is the best (and friendliest), there's welcoming coffee, tea, etc in the lobby, breakfast is generous and delicious, the rooms are big and bright, and the location is perfect.

Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 1 January 2011

I stayed here at the Magnolia Hotel last time I visited Victoria, BC with my friends and I really enjoyed the stay at the Superior corner king room and the spectacular view of the Parliament Building.
So this time I decided to go for the Diamond level room and was expecting a better and more spacious room. However, I am really disappointed with the room I got. The room is located at the 7th floor and it was much smaller than the one I got last time.(Which kind of contradicts with their diamond level room description on the website,"Our finest rooms on the top two floors feature 'added space'.") The only difference is the ceilings and the fireplace. Overall, I don't think the Diamond level room is worth it's price and I would consider staying somewhere else next time.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
MagnoliaHotelGM, General Manager at Magnolia Hotel And Spa, responded to this review, 3 January 2011
Thank you for your your recent stay with us at The Magnolia Hotel & Spa.

I am truly sorry that the size of the Diamond Level room was disappointing, as compared to your previous experience in our Superior Corner room. We will review our Internet descriptions on our website and I apologize if the room you received did not live up to the expectations you had from our website. The hotel's corner rooms, including 4 on our Diamond Level, are the largest rooms in the hotel.

I have forwarded my personal contact info via direct message. I hope we can resolve this disppointing stay to your full satisfaction, and ensure a return visit to the hotel.

Thank you again for your feedback, and for visiting us at The Magnolia Hotel & Spa.

Sincerley,

Bill Lewis
The Magnolia Hotel & Spa
Salt Spring Island
Reviewed 29 December 2010

As a hotelier and a former room inspector, my most recent visit to the Magnolia Hotel has put it to the top of my list. I have worked at and stayed at some of the best hotels in the world, and for the price of my stay, this hotel now ranks tops in its category. Yes, others have lavish facilities, but this boutique hotel has set a new standard of excellence. I can walk into any hotel and find flaws in the cleanliness, the appearance of the staff, and the overall feeling of welcomeness. It is just a work related habit I can't break. From the minute I arrived, the valet was attentive and polite, the bellman was readily available, and the desk staff greeted me with a certain calmness that I only ever saw once and that was at the VIP check in counter at Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas. That's how impressed I was. Not that I don't appreciate the efforts of a good bellman, but I always handle my own luggage (having been a bellman for many years). The young man let me unload my things without agressively trying to help. He held the car door open while I moved everything onto the luggage cart and then opened the front door for me without holding his hand out expecting a tip. Only then did I alert him to the fact that I am a hotelier and have a lot of experience as a bellman to which he smiled as he now understood my independent actions. The room was impeccible. By my standards, that is very rarely heard from me. Beautiful decor, spotless bathroom, comfortable bed, and a lovely fireplace. Hint to all travellers - next time you want to know how clean a hotel room really is, look up while in the shower and see if the ceiling is spotless. A true test of the prowess of a good housekeeper. Excellent location and a very nicely done breakfast (which is included in the rate) have now put the Magnolia on top of the heap.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank ssireviewer
Washington
Reviewed 28 December 2010

We came to Victoria for Christmas & my birthday as a surprise trip set up by my husband. We were both so delighted to stay at the Magnolia. From the moment we arrived, we were extremely satisfied. Everyone on the staff was extremely friendly and helpful. When we returned from lunch, they had brought a box of chocolates and a card for my birthday. In addition to being very well located, the hotel allowed us to bring our small dog, which made for a very special holiday for us.

The room was huge, which made it feel even more comfortable. Both the room and the bathroom were amazingly clean, probably one of the cleanest hotels I've ever stayed in. The bathroom featured a deep soaking tub (not jetted) and a separate shower. Everything shined perfectly. The bedding was also fresh and clean, and the carpet did not seem dingy or dirty in any way.

The morning breakfast was very good, offering a choice of baked goods, oatmeal, boiled eggs, meats and cheese, cereals, and even waffles. The juice and tea selection was also very good, and it was promptly refreshed during service.

We did not dine in Prime, but we did order room service. The food was amazing. I would definitely recommend the restaurant or room service.

I must definitely mention the bed before closing! I suffer from back problems and insomnia, and sleep can be tricky for me. My husband could not believe how quickly I fell asleep on our first night. It was such a comfortable bed - and huge!

The valet parking was quick and convenient. It was very reasonably priced as well. Having a car was useful for our trip, as we visited Butchart Gardens, which is also highly recommended.

The only negative experience I had came from the receptionist of the spa, but I cannot hold that against the hotel. The spa treatment was excellent, as was the girl who performed the treatment.

I am already daydreaming of our next trip to the Magnolia!

Port Townsend, Washington
Reviewed 28 December 2010

We have stayed at the Magnolia twice in the past year, and it was great both times. The location is good - within walking distance of the Port Angeles (USA) ferries, adjacent to "downtown" amenities, near the Inner Harbor yet quiet and away from the commercial and tourist traffic bustle. We have opted for the (corner) suites each time and had nice views of the Inner Harbor, Parliament & the (Fairmont) Empress hotel. Victoria supposedly has the second highest percentage of restaurants per capita and there are literally dozens within a ten minute walk of the Magnolia. As befitting an international city there is a variety of cuisines to choose from with a price range to suit everyone.
We did not avail ourselves of the spa part of the Magnolia but the Aveda products provided in the rooms are favorites of my wife and hopefully reflect a quality at the spa.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Perrett-traveler
BC
Reviewed 21 December 2010

Probably the finest Hotel we have ever stayed at
Everything was more than we expected.
Would highly recommend.