“Deserves service excellence award - outstanding” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Magnolia Hotel And Spa

Magnolia Hotel And Spa
Ranked #2 of 52 Hotels in Victoria
Ottawa, Canada
“Deserves service excellence award - outstanding”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2011

I have to say that the Magnolia Hotel may be the best 'hotel' experience I have ever encountered. The level of customer service was above and beyond my expectations and the staff went the extra-mile to ensure my stay was excellent. The rooms were spotless, the bed was great and the atttention to detail was amazing. Bravo. 10 out of 10. This hotel has done it right and you've set the bar so high, you're in a different league and you have made it nearly impossible for any other hotel to compare. I'll definitely be back and I will recommend this hotel to anyone travelling to Victoria.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank AICC_1970

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (336)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2011

I've stayed in a number of hotels in Victoria, and this is by far one of the nicest. The staff are very helpful and courteous and make you feel special. The room and the amenities are excellent. Upon entering my room, the bed was turned down, there was a fresh apple and some fine chocolates waiting for me. There was a bathroom laid out for me along with slippers in the pocket on the bed. It was soft and comfy. The bath products are Aveda and included a shave package (razor, shaving gel) and there was a bath tub along with a shower. For the bath, there was a bath bomb. The room had a comfortable king bed, a flat screen tv and included free wireless. The stay also included a great continental breakfast. There was fresh fruit, yogurt, waffles, toast, pastries and cheese available. The location of the hotel is fantastic and is in walking distance to everything downtown. Overall, the experience left me quite happy and I will definitely be returning here for my next visit.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled on business
Salmon Arm, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2011

My wife and I checked in at 1 PM. I mentioned to the bell boy that it was our 37th Anniversary. Great service at check-in and getting to our beautiful room. We order room service for an afternoon appetizer. Lobster and Carpaccio Salads were excellent. When we headed out shopping at 3 PM the bell boy asked "When can we bring complimentary Champagne to your room?" On our return, we were greeted in our room to a box of speciality chocolates with the champagne arriving shortly there after. Truly spoiled!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
seattle, washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 February 2011

My husband and I stayed here to celebrate our 2nd wedding anniversary. We live in Seattle, so Victoria was a great option for a nearby getaway. Once we arrived by ferry, it was a short 7 minutes walk to the hotel. The hotel was absolutely charming and full of character. We stayed on the 7th floor and had a wonderful view of the water. The gas fireplace was so nice to have in the room. Loved the Aveda ameninities!

During our reservation, we mentioned it was our anniversary. The Hotel Manager had a box of chocolates waiting in our room with a lovely card wishing us a wonderful stay and happy anniversary! The staff was friendly and pleasant. The location of the hotel was in a perfect location and it was so easy walking to many different shops, bars and downtown Victoria.

Saturday night we had reservations at Prime Steakhouse, the hotel's restaurant and a fabulous steakhouse. Although we had reservations, the restaurant was very busy and we had a bit of a wait. The Restaurant Manager was apologetic, kept checking in on us every 10 minutes to give us an update on our table. He made sure we were taken care of at the bar regarding drinks and appetizers.
Once seated, our meal was wonderful! Very tasty and well worth the wait!

I would recommend the Magnolia Hotel & Spa as well as Prime Steakhouse for a lovely weekend getaway in Victoria.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank bossychihuahua
new york
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2011

The hotel is well located in Victoria to easily walk to all attractions. The breakfast is included and is a good "continental" breakfast. The restaurant for dinner has a limited, expensive, menu, I found it better to go to other restaurants in the neighborhood.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled solo
Montreal
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2011

I stayed at this hotel for three nights, and my experience was mixed. On the positive side, the room I was given was lovely. I was upgraded to a large room on the 7th floor with a gas fireplace, and lovely wood furnishings. The bed was very comfortable. The location of the hotel was perfect, right downtown, but on a fairly quiet side-street. The staff was friendly and pleasant.
Downsides: first, I found the complimentary continental breakfast to be just ok, or maybe even a bit less than ok, for a hotel that bills itself as a luxury hotel. You don't incur any extra costs, but people who go to this kind of hotel usually go to pamper themselves a bit, and the waffles, pots of yoghurt and processed cheeses ust didn't cut it.
Second: the showerhead in my room was dripping quite badly, creating a very unpleasant "chinese water torture" effect. I put a towel down in the shower on the first night to mute the sound (when I woke up the towel was soaked!), and called down to have the problem fixed on the second night. It wasn't, nor was it fixed on the third night. Luxury hotels distinguish themselves from more run-of-the-mill places by attention to detail, and here I found the Magnolia dropped (or should I say dripped?) the ball.
Third, people who attend hotels in the 4 to 4 /12 star range have a right to expect that they will be able to work out in a minimally functional facility. The exercise room is really just a small room with a small number of machines and a few weights throuwn together in a space that would be cramped were as few as three people to try to use it at the same time. One of the bikes was not functioning properly (the seat adjuster seemed to be broken). Heritage hotels that I gave stayed in in Noerth America sometimes have trouble building a decent exercise room into the premises -- but then they usually have an arrangement with a nearby gym that guest can use free of charge.
So overall, I felt that the Magnolia did not live up to the billing, despite its undeniable charms

• Stayed January 2011, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Daniel61
MagnoliaHotelGM, General Manager at Magnolia Hotel And Spa, responded to this review, 4 February 2011
Thank you Daniel61 for your recent stay with us at The Magnolia.
We are thrilled that you enjoyed the “undeniable charms” of our small Boutique property. As you mentioned we believe our large luxurious guest rooms, ideal downtown location and attentive staff help us stand apart as a hotel.

I am very sorry that the maintenance issue with your faucet was an inconvenience and caused such discomfort, and moreover that our staff did not rectify this during your stay. This is very uncharacteristic of our service levels and I am deeply sorry that this was not rectified. I have forwarded my contact information by private message and hope we can resolve this to your satisfaction.

As with your experience in other properties, the hotel does offer complimentary YMCA passes which is located roughly 3 blocks from the hotel for those seeking a more extensive fitness offering. Based on your feedback we will add signage to the fitness area further highlighting this offering.

With respect to the breakfast offering, the hotel offers Deluxe Continental Breakfast to all guests. We appreciate your feedback and are always striving to improve services and offerings, and I regret that the breakfast was not to your liking. Our offering, which includes fresh pastries, oatmeal, waffle makers, hand-cut cheeses and meats, yogurts, cereals and juices is generally met with quite favorable comments. We will continually review this offering and look for some extra touches which would add that pampering experience for our guests.

Thank you again for choosing The Magnolia. I am glad you found lots of good in the property, and we will utilize your feedback to improve in the areas we fell short in your last visit. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back again with us.

Bill Lewis
The Magnolia Hotel & Spa
Burnaby, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2011

Stayed at this hotel while we were in Victoria for the Canadian FIgure Skating Championships last weekend.

This hotel absolutely cannot be faulted!!!! WE checked in with amazing, friendly faces, then were helped with our luggage. Oh, the excitment when we saw our room!!! It was absoluetely gorgeous, with a granite wet bar, soft comfy feather duvets, and celiling to floor windows. We opened our curtains and saw that we had a completely unabstructed view of the Parliament Buildings and the Harbour!!! We were so excited!!

Before arriving, I notified the hotel that this trip was for my daughter's birthday, and we were pleasently surprised when we found a box of Roger's chocolates and a card!!! There was also a welcome package of chocolate, water bottles and apples.

The breakfast was scrumptious. The make your own waffles was so much fun, completed with maple syrup, strawberry sauce and whip cream. THey also had danishes, croissants, muffins, bagels and toast (with peanut butter and different jams), boxes of cereal, oatmeal with brown sugar and fruit, different types of luncheon meats and cheese, and different types of juices and milks, and cofffee and tea. I have never seen waitresses at a continental breakfast before!!!

When we came back each night, there was chocolates on our bed sides and our beds were prepared for us to crawl into and go to sleep.

In the lobby there was coffee and a whole bunch of different teas for you to try. The great thing was they had to-go cups so we could take it to the skating rink. There was also a pianist playing at the grand piano in the lobby, this was a lovely touch.

Every morning, the staff would get us water to bring with us to the skating rink. They were just so nice to deal with and we miss them already!!!

We took a look at the exerscie room, and while on the smaller side, it had everything needed., including a sauna.

The location was literally in the middle of everything, you could walk to the Harbour, downtown, Save on Foods Memorial Centre (we spent most of our time there!), and Chinatown in a matter of minutes.

The best part about the whole thing, was that because we booked so far in advance (at this hotel, if you book at least one month in advance, you get 30% off), we didn't pay anymore for this hotel than we did for a Ramada in Quesnel this past summer! That definetely made it all the more enjoyable!

We call this hotel the Empress without the stuffiness!

Thank you SO much Magnolia! By far the best hotel we've stayed in...we'll be back!

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with family