“Location, price and restaurant are great”

The Strathcona Hotel
Ranked #37 of 52 Hotels in Victoria
Oakville, Ontario
“Location, price and restaurant are great”
Reviewed 25 September 2008

We chose this hotel based on its location and price -- only a few minutes' walk from the harbour, and under a hundred bucks, what could be better, we asked?

To begin, there is no on-site parking -- you must park your car in a lot around the corner and then schlep your bags back to the hotel. The hotel required a $100 deposit to be held on the credit card in case of "incidental charges". Maybe they get a lot of rowdies that break stuff!

The elevator is old and rickety and small; there were a couple of times I was worried we wouldn't make it up to the 5th floor, and look out if you have 3 or 4 people in the elevator with luggage!

The room was quite small, but that wasn't too much of a concern since we were only going to stay one night. There isn't air conditioning, so beware of staying during the summer. The windows only open about six inches wide, because there are no screens (apparently this is common in BC). I'm fairly certain that our room was newly decorated in about 1968 ...

My parents' room was also on the 5th floor, but overlooked the rooftop beach volleyball court from the adjoining pub. They said that the volleyball matches didn't wrap up until about 2:00 or 3:00 am, so needless to say, they didn't get much sleep.

This part of Victoria also seems to have an interesting population of homeless and substance abuse sufferers, which didn't help our uneasiness.

On the bright side, the hotel is very close to the beautiful waterfront, and the restaurant downstairs has great food -- we ate there twice!

In the morning there was a fairly decent Continental breakfast in the restaurant downstairs. The breakfast was great, but the floors were still sticky from the beer spilled there during the festivities the night before, and there was a smell that could well have been urine, but I'm choosing to block that part out!

As we were checking out, a girl came rushing in to the lobby, saying that her car (parked in the same offsite lot as ours) had been broken into! Luckily for us, we had parked further down in the parking lot, so whoever smashed her window found what he wanted and moved on.

I wouldn't recommend a stay at the "Strath" unless you're looking for the barest of bones service and a noisy party. Which could be, perhaps, the clientele they're catering to, what with the $100 deposit and all...

• Liked — Location & price
  • Disliked — Mostly everything else
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Montreal
Reviewed 31 July 2008

This is standard chain hotel fare by and large. Not charming as is my preference but the room/bed was comfortable (although I'm sure some might have found it small), the bathroom fine and I observed people having fun out my window playing beach volleyball on the roof of a lower adjacent building. Continental breakfast is included; bagels, juice, coffee, fruit, that kind of thing.

Noise seemed the main contentious point for guests on this site. Yes, I could hear noise from the neighbouring Sticky Wicket and volleyball game. Some guests I think might (and apparently do) actually enjoy the ambience. Saturday night was the only time noise was really an issue. So, I grabbed a drink somewhere myself and the noise had largely subsided by 1am and I slept just fine.

For $79/night to be so centrally-located within 5 minutes walk to the Inner Harbour and lots of (good) eating places nearby, I was quite tolerant of the hotel's shortcomings I suppose. I would stay there again, although I must admit I tend to prefer inns or B&Bs, as they're less impersonal.

• Liked — central location, cont. breakfast included, good restaurants surrounding, seeing people having fun
  • Disliked — impersonality, noise (although manageable)
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled solo
Loveland Co
Reviewed 23 June 2008

We stayed there after our cruise from Alaska. When we arrived our rooms were ready the size was incredible 2 queen beds Plus an sofa and chair and coffee table The rooms are older not (hilton or hampton) style but just what we were looking for
The staff was very nice and helpful we had dinner in the Sticky Wickit it was very good for the price it was a great bargan.

• Liked — room size
  • Disliked — no AC
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled with family
Wa State Resident
Reviewed 1 May 2008

My stay at the Strathcona was not what I was hoping for. I was under the impression that it was a much nicer hotel than what I found it to be. The hotel sports 7 different bars/restaurants and that appears to be the main income for the hotel. This results in a large amount of noise on both the lower levels and the upper levels of rooms.
The room was tiny, the walls paper thin, no air conditioning, and no ventilation in the bathroom. Having a rugby team staying in the hotel made the trip almost unbearable. However the hotel is located within walking distance of the main attractions and dining in downtown Victoria.
The room rate was the main reason I chose this hotel and if you're looking for a cheap place to stay thats close to downtown, stay at the Strathcona, but be prepared for something less than what the pictures portray.

• Stayed April 2008, travelled on business
2 Thank Dragongirl576546

Travellers are raving about these Victoria hotels

San Diego, California
Reviewed 20 April 2008

The hotel required a 150$ for each of our rooms which was mind blowing considering I've stayed at 4 or 5 star hotels and have never needed to leave a deposit at that cost. Staff was incredibly rude except for the front desk gentleman at check out. Rooms were dingy, bed frame wasn't actually a bed frame but something attached to the wall that fell off the wall at one point, mold on the ceiling and cobwebs in the corner. This hotel is on top of a dance club which left a very loud crowd out on the street around 3am which consisted of a fist fight. At check out a guest in our party had a knock at his door from hotel at 11:05am as he was gathering his luggage with a threat that the hotel would be keeping his deposit if we didn't check out immediately. We travel for months out of year and have never had such poor service and bad attitudes from any staff or needed to leave such a high deposit. I would never ever suggest to anyone stay here. It was a dump in terms of standards and guest services.

Stayed April 2007
1 Thank hothearted
Corvallis, OR
Reviewed 27 August 2007

This hotel features old, tiny, run-down rooms with no air conditioning. You can't even open the windows more than a crack to let air in, so it gets very stuffy. Most rooms contain only a bed which barely fits in the room. If you're lucky, you might get a rickety table. Don't expect things that they don't explicitly promise. Clock? Forget it. Coffee maker? No way. Iron? You must be kidding. A bar of soap? Hah! There is a soap dispenser on the wall by the sink, and one in the shower (it's supposed to double for shampoo). Some rooms don't even have a closet. It's bad enough that the water-stained drop ceiling and the burned out light bulbs hardly register.

Noise from the club below seems to go on all night, with drunken arguments and police visits a fairly regular occurrence. I was greeted by vomit on the sidewalk outside as I tried to walk to my car, parked in their (not attended or locked, of course) parking lot across the street. It wasn't even cleaned up the following day.

We were in town with a fairly large group, so we got to see a wide variety of rooms. Our friends in the double queen room, for example, had a pretty nice, updated room that even had a mini-fridge, a clock, *and* a ceiling fan (still no AC, of course).

Because of its central location, this would be a good place to stay if you were going to be going out clubbing all night, so the noise wouldn't be keeping you awake, *if* it were cheaper. As it is, there are several similarly-priced hotels nearby. I would imagine that any one of them would be a better choice.

Stayed August 2007
1 Thank zelanie
encinitas ca
Reviewed 25 August 2007

We had a most unpleasant stay at the Strathcona on August 16th, 2007. After reading their pitch on their website, it sounded like a good thing...recently remodeled rooms, etc. I can guarantee you, our room had not been touched in at least a decade. Firstly, when we walked into the room, we were astounded at the size...you could barely walk around the bed! There was no A/C, only a fan on top of the "armoire". The furniture was cheap mahogany that was many years old, worn, chipped, etc. The bathroom was tiny and still had the old fashioned sheet vinyl flooring. No coffee pot in the room. It was warm, so we opened the window when we went to bed. The noise from the partygoers on the street lasted until the wee hours. If you're in your early 20's, this might be a good place to stay...the pub downstairs seemed to be very lively, and it was centrally located. BUT, I really think they are guilty of false advertising. I wouldn't recommend this hotel to my worst enemy. I'm just sorry I didn't read the reviews before we booked it. Forgot about this website, but I am now bookmarking it for future reference.

• Disliked — There was nothing to like.
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled as a couple