“Fantastic - loved it”

Ranked #36 of 49 Hotels in Victoria
Sydney
“Fantastic - loved it”
Reviewed 15 November 2008

Fantastic. Location is wonderful, a few minutes walk to the waterfront. The rooms are old but really roomy. Great value for money. Continental breakfast included. Certainly stay there again. Highly recommend

• Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
Banff, Canada
Reviewed 8 October 2008

Let me start off by saying that I have worked in the hotel industry for 8 years. When I am traveling my main conern is location and a clean room - for me, I'm there to sleep and have a shower, not spend time hanging out enjoying my hotel's room ambiance!.If this is you....THIS IS NOT THE PLACE TO STAY!

We stayed at the Strath for 1 night only as the hotel we were booked at the previous night was not able to take us for the last night of our stay. I booked the Strath as it was half a block from our original hotel.

Great location, lots of choice for nightlife and their front desk staff were wonderful. Our room was $150 for the night for 3 of us which included breakfast...which I found was not a deal!

When I walked in the room the first thing I noticed was a HUGE piece of dried snot on the wall between the two beds. How housekeeping managed to miss this was beyond my comprehension as it was large enough to claim it's own postal code. I went into the bathroom and found pubes in the doorframe, the sink and even the newly opened kleenex box. Big black hair in the sink, on the shower wall and even the ceiling of the shower! As well, a phallic outline which seemed to have been 'slapped' on the headboard. My boyfriend proceeded to wipe a greasy 'head bang' stain from the other headboard which was ironic as our friend, who is a ski giude with low standards and routinely sleeps in the outdoors with no available shower, found this offensive. I slept with the hood of my sweatshirt up for the night as I did not want to hair to touch the pillow for fear of parasites that may have been looking for a new, cleaner home.

Upon check out the following morning, it was all I could do not to laugh in the face of the poor man working at the front desk as he said to me with a big smile on his face, 'housekeeping is chomping at the bit to get into that room to clean it'. I believe they overcompensate at the front desk for the lack of other areas of this hotel.

Avoid this place. Victoria is a bif city with many other downtown hotels that are less expensive and don't make you feel the need to take another shower once you check out.

• Liked — location, but there are better hotels with the same location
  • Disliked — everything and more
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled with friends
5 Thank hnphil

Travellers are raving about these Victoria hotels

Oakville, Ontario
Reviewed 25 September 2008

We chose this hotel based on its location and price -- only a few minutes' walk from the harbour, and under a hundred bucks, what could be better, we asked?

To begin, there is no on-site parking -- you must park your car in a lot around the corner and then schlep your bags back to the hotel. The hotel required a $100 deposit to be held on the credit card in case of "incidental charges". Maybe they get a lot of rowdies that break stuff!

The elevator is old and rickety and small; there were a couple of times I was worried we wouldn't make it up to the 5th floor, and look out if you have 3 or 4 people in the elevator with luggage!

The room was quite small, but that wasn't too much of a concern since we were only going to stay one night. There isn't air conditioning, so beware of staying during the summer. The windows only open about six inches wide, because there are no screens (apparently this is common in BC). I'm fairly certain that our room was newly decorated in about 1968 ...

My parents' room was also on the 5th floor, but overlooked the rooftop beach volleyball court from the adjoining pub. They said that the volleyball matches didn't wrap up until about 2:00 or 3:00 am, so needless to say, they didn't get much sleep.

This part of Victoria also seems to have an interesting population of homeless and substance abuse sufferers, which didn't help our uneasiness.

On the bright side, the hotel is very close to the beautiful waterfront, and the restaurant downstairs has great food -- we ate there twice!

In the morning there was a fairly decent Continental breakfast in the restaurant downstairs. The breakfast was great, but the floors were still sticky from the beer spilled there during the festivities the night before, and there was a smell that could well have been urine, but I'm choosing to block that part out!

As we were checking out, a girl came rushing in to the lobby, saying that her car (parked in the same offsite lot as ours) had been broken into! Luckily for us, we had parked further down in the parking lot, so whoever smashed her window found what he wanted and moved on.

I wouldn't recommend a stay at the "Strath" unless you're looking for the barest of bones service and a noisy party. Which could be, perhaps, the clientele they're catering to, what with the $100 deposit and all...

• Liked — Location & price
  • Disliked — Mostly everything else
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Montreal
Reviewed 31 July 2008

This is standard chain hotel fare by and large. Not charming as is my preference but the room/bed was comfortable (although I'm sure some might have found it small), the bathroom fine and I observed people having fun out my window playing beach volleyball on the roof of a lower adjacent building. Continental breakfast is included; bagels, juice, coffee, fruit, that kind of thing.

Noise seemed the main contentious point for guests on this site. Yes, I could hear noise from the neighbouring Sticky Wicket and volleyball game. Some guests I think might (and apparently do) actually enjoy the ambience. Saturday night was the only time noise was really an issue. So, I grabbed a drink somewhere myself and the noise had largely subsided by 1am and I slept just fine.

For $79/night to be so centrally-located within 5 minutes walk to the Inner Harbour and lots of (good) eating places nearby, I was quite tolerant of the hotel's shortcomings I suppose. I would stay there again, although I must admit I tend to prefer inns or B&Bs, as they're less impersonal.

• Liked — central location, cont. breakfast included, good restaurants surrounding, seeing people having fun
  • Disliked — impersonality, noise (although manageable)
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled solo
Loveland Co
Reviewed 23 June 2008

We stayed there after our cruise from Alaska. When we arrived our rooms were ready the size was incredible 2 queen beds Plus an sofa and chair and coffee table The rooms are older not (hilton or hampton) style but just what we were looking for
The staff was very nice and helpful we had dinner in the Sticky Wickit it was very good for the price it was a great bargan.

• Liked — room size
  • Disliked — no AC
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled with family
Wa State Resident
Reviewed 1 May 2008

My stay at the Strathcona was not what I was hoping for. I was under the impression that it was a much nicer hotel than what I found it to be. The hotel sports 7 different bars/restaurants and that appears to be the main income for the hotel. This results in a large amount of noise on both the lower levels and the upper levels of rooms.
The room was tiny, the walls paper thin, no air conditioning, and no ventilation in the bathroom. Having a rugby team staying in the hotel made the trip almost unbearable. However the hotel is located within walking distance of the main attractions and dining in downtown Victoria.
The room rate was the main reason I chose this hotel and if you're looking for a cheap place to stay thats close to downtown, stay at the Strathcona, but be prepared for something less than what the pictures portray.

• Stayed April 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank Dragongirl576546
San Diego, California
Reviewed 20 April 2008

The hotel required a 150$ for each of our rooms which was mind blowing considering I've stayed at 4 or 5 star hotels and have never needed to leave a deposit at that cost. Staff was incredibly rude except for the front desk gentleman at check out. Rooms were dingy, bed frame wasn't actually a bed frame but something attached to the wall that fell off the wall at one point, mold on the ceiling and cobwebs in the corner. This hotel is on top of a dance club which left a very loud crowd out on the street around 3am which consisted of a fist fight. At check out a guest in our party had a knock at his door from hotel at 11:05am as he was gathering his luggage with a threat that the hotel would be keeping his deposit if we didn't check out immediately. We travel for months out of year and have never had such poor service and bad attitudes from any staff or needed to leave such a high deposit. I would never ever suggest to anyone stay here. It was a dump in terms of standards and guest services.

Stayed April 2007