“Fun Spot”

Ranked #37 of 49 Hotels in Victoria
Castegar
“Fun Spot”
Reviewed 28 July 2009

Friends and I had a great golfing getaway to Victoria. We chose to stay in downtown Victoria so we could enjoy the city while at the same time being close enough to the golf courses and other amenities that VIctoria has to offer. The low rates at the hotel also matched the budgets of a few of the golfers in our group so the choice was made. The place was built for our group. While some of the rooms are a little small and dated the rest of the facility was top drawer. We had tons of fun in the pub and roof-top patio and even a few dances in one of the night spots. Food, service and atmosphere were great.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
Whistler
Reviewed 23 July 2009

This is the first time for my wife and I to stay at this hotel in Victoria. We checked out their web site and found they had a deal on for $89 a night so we booked 2 nights. From the hotel we could walk to all the places we wanted to go, no driving no taxi's which was great. Then we got to experience the patio they have on the roof of the hotel, what an idea they have beach sand volleyball courts on the roof and the restaurant/bar is a beach theme. My wife and I are in our 40's and this place had everything we were looking for. The desk staff also said that they had just completed renovations to parts of the hotel and you can sure tell because the lobby looked brand new when you walk in. We are definately coming back in the fall.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
Vancouver, BC
Reviewed 24 May 2009

I went from Vancouver to Victoria to see the Video Games Live concert at the Royal Theatre. I needed a place to stay overnight, since the concert would end at 10:30pm and the ferries stop running before then (the last ferry from Swartz Bay to Tsawwassen leaves at 9pm). I spent a few weeks researching the trip over a month in advance, so I had enough time to find several suitable hotels and plot out bus and walking routes, as well as calculate the expenses for the trip.

I wanted the hotel to be within walking distance of the theatre (which it was: only a block away), as well as a short walk away from the Inner Harbour (which it also was: only two or three blocks away). The Strathcona seemed to offer the best value, especially since it offered special rates from May to June due to being under construction. I booked a room through their Web site for 2 people, with 1 Queen-sized bed and only the minimal amenities, since I wasn't interested in any frills; this was strictly for an overnight stay. That minimal choice was the "Standard Room", priced at $95 on the Web site, and after taxes it came to just under $110. Split between both of us, $55 wasn't a bad price to pay. There is a $100 deposit on the room in case of any damages or somehow violating their terms, but this is naturally returned if you're a normal, non-destructive occupant. The deposit was a surprise to me at check-in time, though, as I had not found it mentioned anywhere on their Web site.

Service at the front desk was average; quick, no idle chatter, not exceptionally friendly, but definitely efficient. It was especially pointed out to us that this was an entirely non-smoking hotel, which suited us just fine. Neither of us smokes, and I would have hated the smell of any smoke in our room.

The room we got was on the 4th floor and had a tall, narrow window facing south onto the rooftops of the restaurant/pub next door. We got back from the concert at around 11pm and noted that there was muffled noise (mostly just the bassline of the club music) from the pub. This eventually stopped at around 2am, but it didn't disturb us much. However, I can see more sensitive occupants being kept awake by the noise. Also, there was enough of a gap between the door and doorframe to let in a noticeable amount of light from the hallway outside, but this also didn't bother us.

The room was reasonably clean and well-maintained, if a bit old. It was also small, but this didn't matter as we were there to enjoy the city and the concert, not to be wowed by a fancy hotel room. Directly in front of the bed was a wooden cabinet with a large TV and an electric fan, neither of which we wanted or needed to use. Strangely, despite our reservation being for two occupants, there was only one coathanger in the room, but we didn't really need it anyway; the two coat hooks were fine for putting away our jackets, and the small bench next to it was enough to hold our standard student backpacks (not those bulky ones used for travelling). The bathroom had two sets of towels and two clean glasses wrapped in wax paper packets, as well as a liquid soap dispenser on the wall. It was fortunate that we had brought our own toothbrushes and toothpaste, as there were none provided. The shower was simple and somewhat cramped.

There was an elevator to take us up to the 4th floor, but we only ever got to use it for our first trip to and from our room; after that, we got back to the hotel during the day and found that the elevator was out of service. Walking to and from the 4th floor was not too much of a hassle, although not the nicest thing to do after having walked around town for a few hours.

The check-out time was 11am. Due to being inexplicably unable to sleep well during the night (probably irrelevant to the room), I ended up sleeping until 10:57am (missing out on their free Continental Breakfast, which runs from 7am to 10am). Of course, we hurried to vacate the room, and got to the front desk at 11:10am (the elevator was still out of service). There were no problems, though, and we checked out with the $100 deposit returned to us and no mention of our lateness whatsoever.

Overall, I'd say our stay in the hotel was uneventful (the elevator being out of commission isn't a showstopper, and the nighttime noise and light didn't bother us enough to be a concern). It was a place to stay for the night before going back to Vancouver the next day, and I'd say it served that purpose adequately. We picked the cheapest room package possible, and got exactly what we needed for our trip.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
Toronto
Reviewed 29 November 2008

This is the most disgusting place I have ever seen in my life. staff is so rude. Hitting on your girl friends and family. Not a secure place to go.

Don't even think of this place if you want to spend good time.

I am very disappointed with staff

• Liked — Notting
  • Disliked — Rude staff
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank rajtoluv

Travellers are raving about these Victoria hotels

Sydney
Reviewed 15 November 2008

Fantastic. Location is wonderful, a few minutes walk to the waterfront. The rooms are old but really roomy. Great value for money. Continental breakfast included. Certainly stay there again. Highly recommend

• Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
Banff, Canada
Reviewed 8 October 2008

Let me start off by saying that I have worked in the hotel industry for 8 years. When I am traveling my main conern is location and a clean room - for me, I'm there to sleep and have a shower, not spend time hanging out enjoying my hotel's room ambiance!.If this is you....THIS IS NOT THE PLACE TO STAY!

We stayed at the Strath for 1 night only as the hotel we were booked at the previous night was not able to take us for the last night of our stay. I booked the Strath as it was half a block from our original hotel.

Great location, lots of choice for nightlife and their front desk staff were wonderful. Our room was $150 for the night for 3 of us which included breakfast...which I found was not a deal!

When I walked in the room the first thing I noticed was a HUGE piece of dried snot on the wall between the two beds. How housekeeping managed to miss this was beyond my comprehension as it was large enough to claim it's own postal code. I went into the bathroom and found pubes in the doorframe, the sink and even the newly opened kleenex box. Big black hair in the sink, on the shower wall and even the ceiling of the shower! As well, a phallic outline which seemed to have been 'slapped' on the headboard. My boyfriend proceeded to wipe a greasy 'head bang' stain from the other headboard which was ironic as our friend, who is a ski giude with low standards and routinely sleeps in the outdoors with no available shower, found this offensive. I slept with the hood of my sweatshirt up for the night as I did not want to hair to touch the pillow for fear of parasites that may have been looking for a new, cleaner home.

Upon check out the following morning, it was all I could do not to laugh in the face of the poor man working at the front desk as he said to me with a big smile on his face, 'housekeeping is chomping at the bit to get into that room to clean it'. I believe they overcompensate at the front desk for the lack of other areas of this hotel.

Avoid this place. Victoria is a bif city with many other downtown hotels that are less expensive and don't make you feel the need to take another shower once you check out.

• Liked — location, but there are better hotels with the same location
  • Disliked — everything and more
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled with friends
5 Thank hnphil
Oakville, Ontario
Reviewed 25 September 2008

We chose this hotel based on its location and price -- only a few minutes' walk from the harbour, and under a hundred bucks, what could be better, we asked?

To begin, there is no on-site parking -- you must park your car in a lot around the corner and then schlep your bags back to the hotel. The hotel required a $100 deposit to be held on the credit card in case of "incidental charges". Maybe they get a lot of rowdies that break stuff!

The elevator is old and rickety and small; there were a couple of times I was worried we wouldn't make it up to the 5th floor, and look out if you have 3 or 4 people in the elevator with luggage!

The room was quite small, but that wasn't too much of a concern since we were only going to stay one night. There isn't air conditioning, so beware of staying during the summer. The windows only open about six inches wide, because there are no screens (apparently this is common in BC). I'm fairly certain that our room was newly decorated in about 1968 ...

My parents' room was also on the 5th floor, but overlooked the rooftop beach volleyball court from the adjoining pub. They said that the volleyball matches didn't wrap up until about 2:00 or 3:00 am, so needless to say, they didn't get much sleep.

This part of Victoria also seems to have an interesting population of homeless and substance abuse sufferers, which didn't help our uneasiness.

On the bright side, the hotel is very close to the beautiful waterfront, and the restaurant downstairs has great food -- we ate there twice!

In the morning there was a fairly decent Continental breakfast in the restaurant downstairs. The breakfast was great, but the floors were still sticky from the beer spilled there during the festivities the night before, and there was a smell that could well have been urine, but I'm choosing to block that part out!

As we were checking out, a girl came rushing in to the lobby, saying that her car (parked in the same offsite lot as ours) had been broken into! Luckily for us, we had parked further down in the parking lot, so whoever smashed her window found what he wanted and moved on.

I wouldn't recommend a stay at the "Strath" unless you're looking for the barest of bones service and a noisy party. Which could be, perhaps, the clientele they're catering to, what with the $100 deposit and all...

• Liked — Location & price
  • Disliked — Mostly everything else
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)