“We will be back!”

Amethyst Inn at Regents Park
Ranked #55 of 92 Victoria B&B and Inns
Reviewed 3 September 2013

Lovely place...we will go back and stay there again in another room. The innkeeper was kind enough to mail my prescription eye glasses back to me in the States after I lost them there. We knew immediately that we should have stayed more than one night. Luxurious and romantic.

Room Tip: I would try the free standing rooms OR one of the upstairs rooms. NOTE:I don't believe there is...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 16 August 2013

I love their breakfast and Victorian appointments. We stayed in two different rooms. The first was a walk out basement queen bed. Great bathroom. Queen bed jamed in their. Two big negatives. When the people above us flushed the toilet or put water in the tub it was quite noisy. Also I could not turn off the outside light so it kept the room bright to me. Realize at home I sleep with black out shades in my bedroom. Other then that and construction work jack hammers not their fault. It is a short drive.
The owner, cook and room cleaner just bought this recently. She is from Shanghai, China and a very sweet woman. I would go back again. Please for their ske and at other hotels B&B s book through Booking.com not Expedia or Hotels.com. Booking.com does a better job and charges the owners 15% Expedia overbooks and charges owners 25%. How would you feel if you were the owner

Room Tip: Dont go basic queen on groundfloor. Anyother one is fine
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank twsplace
Reviewed 30 July 2013

The innkeeper, Matthew, was so great. He does it all. very guest oriented and has a great attitude even though he works very long hours. The answer is always "yes" with him. The room was wonderful and quaint, the house is stunning, and the food was fabulous. I will return to Victoria only if I can stay at the Amethyst Inn.

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed 8 July 2013

The Amethyst Inn offered us a wonderful two nights, the house itself is a treasure and we enjoyed checking out the many nooks, crannies and unoccupied rooms. Our room was quite lovely, well-appointed, roomy and comfortable. The breakfasts were first-rate and most filling. Also enjoyed our evening visits to the parlour for cookies and/or sherry. The Inn is a bit far from the heart of the city if you like walking. While the jet tub was great fun, we missed having a shower.

Room Tip: Front rooms get a fair bit of traffic noise from the street. Top floor means a lot of stair climbing...
Reviewed 1 July 2013

I stayed alone at the Amethyst Inn for a week in June, 2013. My main reason for choosing it was its proximity to the Jubilee Hospital, where my husband had unplanned surgery while on a business trip. It was a stressful week and Matthew, the innkeeper, really made things a little easier for me.

I arrived late at night and Matthew cheerily schlepped my suitcase up 3 floors to the Juliet room. My request for a feather-free bed was done (I can't tell you how often this is something I have to ask for 2 or 3 times) and the room was small, clean and cute. There was a smallish flat-screen TV with a good cable package and the queen-size bed was very comfortable. This was a great room for a short person, but I happen to be pretty tall. I kept banging my head on the vaulted ceiling! I would definitely not recommend this room for more than one person. Also, the shower was pretty weird. I guess in order to retrofit the house they had to put in a very small tub. It had two levels to stand/sit on inside but neither was ideal for using the rain-style shower head. Also, while it didn't bother me, the sink was just outside of the small bathroom.

Breakfast was definitely a highlight for me! While my husband and I don't normally like B&Bs, because I was alone, I enjoyed chatting with fellow travellers and the delicious 1000-calorie breakfasts. That being said, breakfast was definitely at "Victoria speed," taking about an hour for all of the courses. Matthew starts you with juice and you can help yourself to coffee or tea from the adjacent station (which by the way is always available - very convenient). Next is a fruit and yogurt parfait garnished with granola and fresh mint. Yum! Then while Matthew prepares a fantastic main course (usually an omelette, benny or french toast with sausage), he delivers a warm home-made muffin or scone. Hello carbs! I should also mention that he is very accommodating to dietary restrictions, though it may take a little longer. Which gets me to my next point...

He seems to be the only employee running the show! One day I came back to find my room had not been made up. When I called down Matthew apologized...he had gotten busy and forgot. So this one guy makes breakfast, runs the office, and does all the cleaning?! He mentioned that he had only been there a few weeks, so I imagine service will only get better. But the room thing was really a blip. He couldn't have been more attentive and accommodating otherwise.

I should also mention that the Amethyst isn't right in central Victoria. It's a short bus ride or car trip to most tourist attractions. This might be a deterrent for some people. But for me, it was the right place.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 1 July 2013

This wonderful Victorian B & B was perfect in every way. The service was beyond what we expected. Matthew arranged to have a bouquet of Stargazer Lillies (My wife's favorite flower) and a personallized anniversary card in our room when we arrived. He recommended the perfect horse drawn carriage service to pick us up at the ferry and deliver us to the Amethyst. The inn was clean and beautiful. Everything seemed very well maintained. It was almost like stepping back in time.

Reviewed 26 June 2013

Beautiful mansion filled with Victorian antiques. Our room was on the top floor, which consisted of two large flights of stairs, brings back memories of B&B's in France and Italy. Room was small for two people, but very clean and nicely decorated. Breakfast was tasty starting with mango and berries with yougurt, juice, coffee all served on old English china. Breakfast entree was an omelette with bacon. Service was wonderful and friendly. Has a history book, in the dining room, detailing the history of the Amethyst inn.

Room Tip: The inn has two floors above the main floor. Request 1st floor room if you have problems with stairs...