“Hostess With the Mostest”

Hemingways By the Sea Bed and Breakfast Inn
Ranked #23 of 92 Victoria B&B and Inns
“Hostess With the Mostest”
Reviewed 30 May 2013

There are many beautiful B&Bs in the world, but this one is set apart by the charm and ease of the hostess Ilona. She was so delightful and helpful, she made the whole visit even more fun. There were 3 of us, so we stayed in the 2 bedroom apartment, which worked perfectly for us. She sent us to a restaurant that was absolutely delicious for dinner, and whipped up a great breakfast. She clearly loves what she does, and she has the ability to make you feel at home instantly. Next time we will stay longer!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank worldtrek55
Ilona154945, Owner at Hemingways By the Sea Bed and Breakfast Inn, responded to this review, 31 May 2013
Thank you so much for the kind words about me. I do try my best to make people happy so it is really nice to get such positive feedback. I am glad I could make you vacation better. Thanks and do come back. Ilona

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed 24 May 2013

spic and span. plushly carpeted. artfully decorated with momentoes depicting hemingway's life & times.we stayed in the serengeti suite which has one of the most comfortable beds that i ever slept on. Quaint bathroom. ilona (the proprietor) is a sweetheart, she serves tasty sumptious breakfasts and fills u in on the sights of victoria over morning tea.we saw elk roaming around in the front lawns towards the evening and early morning.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Ilona154945, Owner at Hemingways By the Sea Bed and Breakfast Inn, responded to this review, 30 May 2013
Thank you so much for your kind comments. It makes my day when I get feedback like yours. We try very hard to make each stay the best it can be and when I hear great feedback like yours, I get goose bumps. Many thanks.
Olympia, WA
Reviewed 4 April 2013

Hemingway by the Sea is a delightful bed and breakfast accomodation near downtown Victoria, but in a quiet neighborhood. Ilona, our hostess, made us feel as if we were very dear friends and most graciously took care of us. Not only did she provide us with excellent, tasty breakfasts, but provided us with directions of where to park so that we could walk into town, and gave us recommendations on restaurants and things to do. Nearby in walking distance is a lovely trail along the coast with views of the harbor and many benchs to stop and take it all in. Victoria is always a wonderful place to visit, and our time there was enhanced by our stay in this B&B.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Dia316
Ilona154945, Owner at Hemingways By the Sea Bed and Breakfast Inn, responded to this review, 6 April 2013
I am so glad that you enjoyed your stay with me. I do try to help the best I can, so feedback like yours is so rewarding. Come back again. Ilona
Bogota, Colombia
Reviewed 28 March 2013

Exceeded our expectations to a great extent. The house is absolutely beautiful and very comfortable. We had a nice and ample room for 3 people (which is usually hard to find) which had a small kichenette that was very convenient. Nevertheless the best thing about Hemingway's is the service. The host will go to great lengths to help you, with good travel advice/tips, tea and cookies or just good conversation. We ended up staying another day just because it was so nice. BTW, the breakfast is excellent! I have forgotten many hotels, but I will always remember Hemingway's by the sea! If you're choosing where to stay, notice that the hist herself responds to comments online, she's truly committed to giving a great experience, and that's worth its weight in gold.

Room Tip: Call/email the host and explain your specific situation, I'm sure she'll know how to best ac...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank rpalau
Ilona154945, Owner at Hemingways By the Sea Bed and Breakfast Inn, responded to this review, 29 March 2013
Thank you for your wonderful response....you have made our day. It is wonderful when a guess appreciates our efforts so much that they write us up with Trip Advisor. Many thanks!
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 15 October 2012

I stayed at Hemingsway By the Sea with my 6 month old baby and my mother who had traveled from Australia. My search for accommodation was not as simple as picking a hotel and going with it. I had a 6 month old baby who goes to sleep by 7pm, therefor i needed a separate room for him to sleep in while my mum and I could hang out in a living area that was close by.
Ohh and the other thing is that i cant sleep in the same room as my mum. Had we booked a standard hotel, once baby was asleep (7pm), I would have had to stay in my room, while my mother was in her room.
So when my internet searches came back with Hemingsway By the Sea, i was very happy. We booked the 'lions den' which has two bed rooms, bathroom and a common area. This was ideal because once the baby was asleep, we were free to use the common area, plus the living room in the main house, while i was still within earshot of the bedroom where he was sleeping.

I was very happy with the service. I phoned another b&b near by and they didnt accept children, which is not a factor i thought i would have to encounter. IIona was very accommodating of this, considering that you just never know how a 6 month old baby will sleep in a strange place, especially in a house where the entire house potentially could hear a baby crying. Bless his heart, my baby was an absolute angel and didnt cry at all and slept great.

I did have to remind myself that it was a B&B and not a hotel. You defiantly feel like your staying at a relatives house, but with that came a sense of comfort. Although a little dated the house and rooms were clean, beds comfortable and it was a quite neighborhood.

We followed IIona's recommendations for places to see and things to do- which was great as she told us which things would be a waste of time and money for us and which ones we should see.

Thanks, Danielle

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
Thank you for your kind remarks. I am glad we could help out with your special circumstances. We are glad you enjoyed your stay.
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 26 September 2012

Hemingway House encompasses all of the qualities of Superlative Accomodation. The Serengeti Suite provided a totally beautiful, tranquil, elegant and unique oasis to rest, relax, restore and prepare one for the ongoing exploration of the lovely Esquimalt area of Victoria and the surrounding areas.

The Hostess iIlona, is a wonderfully warm, multi- talented lady with the ability to provide tastefully equipped accomodation, delicious and scrumptious breakfasts, a multitude of travel tips, ideas of places to explore, shop, hike, have fun and build priceless memories.

The Gardens are totally tranquil, with a riotious display of Flowers, Plantings, Statuary and little nooks and Decks where one is totally welcome to just hang out and relax and laze in the Sun.

The area with its close proximity to the City of Victoria which is virtually within walking distance and the endless and breathtaking Ocean and Mountain vistas is truly another world.

Hemingway House was a truly memorable experience and one it is hoped will be experienced again and again.

Room Tip: Beautiful spacious Rooms, with large windows displaying a panoramic view of the area. A quiet an...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
Ilona154945, Owner at Hemingways By the Sea Bed and Breakfast Inn, responded to this review, 6 October 2012
Wow, thanks for the great write up. You made me feel very special. I love to hear when someone enjoys my B&B that much. Your comments were wonderful and so rewarding. Many thanks, Ilona!
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 20 September 2012

I wish I could say lots of great stuff about this place because the owner really tries hard to be accommodating and inviting. Let me preface this with the fact that we are not b&b people. So maybe my expectations were too high, expecting it to be on the same par as a hotel. Overall, the house is dated with carpets circa 1980 (we had the same carpet in our first house we purchased in 1981) The place could use some sprucing up with less knick-knacks and more opened space.

First off, we were told to take off our shoes before entering the house because the carpets had recently been shampooed. This is something I am not supposed to do--go barefoot because of an arch problem. We had to do so during our entire two-day stay, which was very uncomfortable and just annoying.

While my husband was outside, Ilona asked me to sign a computer printout. When I looked at it, she told me not to pay attention to the prices below because if I had booked the place with her instead of Expedia, the room would have been cheaper. Not something Expedia would like to hear--nor I. She was taken aback that I didn't have my papers in hand. They were with my husband. We had just left a cruise, taken a ferry and driven two hours. The last thing I was thinking about were papers.

We booked the Serengetti suite. It was old, worn and not very clean. I think Ilona really works hard to make her place nice, but I felt like I was visiting a relative and getting the guest room. The bathroom was ensuite, which had very scratchy towels, like they had been dried outside instead of in a dryer. We were afford a quarter of a soap bar and shampoos in store-bought containers with a note written on masking tape.

The kitchen was fully equipped. However, unbeknownst to us, the refrigerator was not turned on, so our milk and cheese products were not cool when we used them the next day. Both my husband and I found bugs (dead gnats) in our mugs/glasses. I can only believe that this room hadn't been used in a while, so it hadn't been checked for the little things that make a stay enjoyable.

On the good side, breakfast was wonderful--Ilona's crepes are great. She's definitely a good cook and loves to have people visiting. BTW, from what we could see from the hallway, the other rooms did look nice. Guest bathrooms are in the hallway and look clean as well. Maybe we just had one of those "comedy of errors" experiences.

Again, Ilona really works hard and I commend her for that. I don't think I could do what she does, but then again, I am not in the b&b business. Unfortunately, I wouldn't recommend this place and we probably won't go to another b&b again. Just stick with hotels.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank JJGoodell
I am so sorry to hear that your visit did not meet your expectations. We try really hard to give our guests the best experience we can and feel terrible when this does not happen. We would be thrilled if you could come back for a stay at our expense and perhaps we can do better. Contact me if you would like to do this. We receive so many great comments, it is upsetting to get a negative one. Hopefully we will see you again. Ilona
Also consider these accommodations in or near Victoria
English Inn
#1 of 2 in Esquimalt
Gaslight-Inn-Victoria
#24 of 92 in Victoria
Ocean Island Suites
#33 of 92 in Victoria
Victoria West
Spinnakers Brewpub and Guesthouses

Been to Hemingways By the Sea Bed and Breakfast Inn? Share your experiences!