“I'd return to this B & B any time.”

Hemingways By the Sea Bed and Breakfast Inn
Ranked #23 of 91 Victoria B&B and Inns
Reviewed 18 May 2010

I think "Scubaswenson" and his wife must have been unhappy with other things going on in their lives, and just transferred their unhappiness to Hemingway's-By-the-Sea. The house was lovely, clean, and everything it advertised. Our hostess Ilona was kind, hospitable, and served two wonderful breakfasts She took into account our food allergies as well. The Hemingway Suite suited the needs of 3 adult women.
Hemingway's is well situated for Victoria, Esquimalt and Sooke.
Sorry you didn't like it, Scubaswenson. Go figger.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with family

Reviewed 28 April 2010

Such a wonderful experience - Ilona is a super host making you feel so welcome. She goes the extra mile to assist you in finding locations in town. The breakfasts are absolutely mouth watering - everything is home made and so fresh.

I would go back in a flash.

Sue from Vancouver

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 January 2010

Keep in mind my review is old, things may have changed, but I'll bet they haven't. I am really suprised at the good reviews this place has got. i usually discount the one or two negative reviews places get on here but let me tell you those who give this high marks must have stayed somewhere else. First off understand the context of my review. My wife and I are in our early 30's. We travel often and love out of the way places including unique B&B's. My wife loves old antique homes and rustic buildings. We are not picky and we are very forgiving. We booked this place a few days before our trip to Victoria. We reviewed various websites including the home page for this B&B. We knew it wasn't first rate but thought it would be a good value. We were very wrong. The owner is a bit eccentric (which I usually like) but very nice. She picked us up at the Clipper terminal and drove us to her home. We were pleased at the beautiful flowers out front. upon entering the home we felt as though we had stepped into our grandma's house, and thats not a good thing. The house seemed old, dark, dusty and very tacky. This is not a "Hemingway" theme it was more like a old outdated German hunting lodge. Which that style can be very nice if done right. This was quite unattractive. We hoped our room would be better. It was not. The carpet was old, the decor was horrible, the TV was ancient with no remote, the "steam room" was a joke. The room was large as promised. We asked to see a different room she showed us to a downstairs room that was very small but the decor was better. We sat on the bed and felt sick. We didn't know what to do. We have NEVER had to leave a place before or since. We decided it just wasn't going to work. We told the owner and she was at first sad and then she was angry almost distraught. She was a little dramatic. I know she wanted the business but it was just not worth the money, not even close. She kept saying, "how can you not like it we are a 5 star B&B" . I would say more like a 2-3 star. NO WAY above 3. I asked if I could pay for the day and the drive and have her release us from the reservation she said no. I was shocked! I told her we were leaving. I called a taxi left her $20 cash for the trouble of picking us up and we left. In the Taxi I decided to have my visa card cancelled so she couldn't take our money so I made a quick call to do that. Then we had the driver take us to a few other B&B's and decided on the Amethyst Inn. A little more money but WOW SOOO much nicer, perfect service, fabulous food. Long story short when we got home we found that the owner of the Hemingway charged our card within minutes of us leaving her home. We had to dispute it the charge with Visa and we got 100% of our money back. I would NEVER stay at this place and I would STRONGLY advise you to look else where, unless you like staying in old, tacky, dingy places. If you want old victorian charm at its best try the Amethyst Inn.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled as a couple
2  Thank scubaswenson
Reviewed 4 November 2009

My husband and I have gone two years in a row to Hemingways by the Sea.
The quality of service is excellent and they cater to your every need.
The rooms are large and spacious and always kept clean.
The breakfast they serve is amazing, everything is fresh and home cooked.
It is very close to public transit and also there is a lovely walk down to the sea.
It is possible to walk to downtown as long as you have the time to spend.
What we both liked best was the fresh and homecooked food.
I would highly recommend Hemingways By The Sea Bed and Breakfast for all ages.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 October 2009

Hemingway’s by the Sea was my first B & B experience and booked the quiet Kenya Room. So by not knowing what to expect, I was completely blown away. Not only by the building, exquisite décor inside (lots of attention to detail – Earnest Hemmingway details), beautiful grounds, view of the ocean but by the owner herself. Her kindred spirit completely makes the visitor feel like they’re at home and relaxed. By the second day of my stay I felt like this B&B was my own personal hotel. The breakfasts were feasts and extremely delicious and I really liked that most ingredients for this meal was purchased from local farmers.

I highly recommend this to all travelers and especially to first time B&Ber’s and when visiting Victoria I will book again, and maybe try The Serengeti Suite, it looks intriguing.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 September 2009

We were extremely impressed with this B&B. Our hostess was always willing to help us find the perfect restaurant, hiking spot or day trip. Each room, including the common areas, contained amazing antiques while allowing us to still feel at home. The location was a few short miles from the downtown area and assessable via the waterfront walk. We also rented a car because we stayed 8 wonderful nights in this beautiful place/island. I'd like to admit that we gained 10 lbs? Yes, never in my life, have I ever been on vacation where I gained more than 2 lbs - and that's to say I've been on first class cruises to Greece, Rome, Italy and France!!! Please dont say we were lazy. This simply is NOT the situation. We walked and/or hiked between 7-15 miles each day. OK, so you want to know how I gained so much weight? It's because our hostess created an amazing breakfast each morning. My normal shredded wheat with soy milk was replaced by homemade crepes, eggs, breakfast breads ... etc. I just didnt have the will to say no.. or that I'm full. We hope you too will enjoy Hemingways by the Sea too. P&K

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 August 2009

Our visit to Hemingways by the Sea was incredible! The moment we walked in through the front door we knew we made the right choice for our accomodations in Victoria. Ilona is an absolute sweetheart, she met us at the door with a huge smile and a big hug and welcomed us in like we were long lost friends. She went out of her way to make us feel at home .. candles in our suite, fresh baked cookies one evening and the most sensational mouth-watering breakfasts I've ever had. She also was very knowledgeable about Victoria and had wonderful suggestions (plus maps and coupons) for places we should visit.

We stayed in the lovely Serengetti Suite and found it to be meticulously clean and very spacious and comfortable. Our room had everything we needed tv, dvd player, mini fridge, toaster oven, iron, big closet, table and chairs, tons of towels and some thoughtful details like candles and matches, handcream, etc.

The B&B is tucked away on a quiet, beautiful residential street. The house is located on a huge lot with beautiful gardens, potted flowers and several lovely sitting areas (perfect for relaxing with a cup of tea and a good book). It is less than 10 minutes away from downtown and the inner harbour by car and easy to acess by taxi boat or bus.

We enjoyed our short 3 day visit at Hemingways and can't wait to return!

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Victoria
English Inn
Villa Marco Polo Inn
#3 of 91 in Victoria
Fairfield
Humboldt House Bed & Breakfast Inn

Been to Hemingways By the Sea Bed and Breakfast Inn? Share your experiences!