“WOW!!!!!!!”

Hemingways By the Sea Bed and Breakfast Inn
Ranked #24 of 92 Victoria B&B and Inns
Reviewed 20 September 2010

My wife and I stayed for 3 days with Ilona at Hemmingway's by the Sea. We have not met a more gracious hostess or stayed in a more beautiful B@B. The breakfasts were gourmet and a new sueprise every morning. The room was the best ever and enormous.
Ilona gave good information on dinning and things to see. She took the time to visit with us and make us tea and coffee. We appreciate her making our 40th anniversary special.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 19 September 2010

suggestions: bring good walking shoes, and in evenings bring a warm jacket.
things to see: picturesque walking, 3 minutes to the ocean, beaches, butchart gardens, whale watching, museums, high tea at the Empress Hotel, lots of antiques on Fort street, and Chinatown plus Murchies for good tea. Hiking. Biking .

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 September 2010

Victoria has plenty of options for accomodation; we based our booking on other traveller review and were quite disappointed about the outcome.
Hemingway by the sea is located a couple of kilometer from the Ocean and a good 15 minutes drive from downtown Victoria

In her website Ilona (the owner) states that check-in hours are between 4 and 6 pm: we arrived at 4.30pm and had to wait till 5.50pm to be ushered inside (we were leaving when finally Ilona showed) with quite unfriendly attitude.
The B&B is up for sale and it seems a little bit unkempt both the exterior and the interior (at least our Lions Den was); my daughter pillow was dirty and Ilona was unpleased by my asking for a clean one!
Even if she tried to be more charming on the second day the atmosphere was ruined: I definively not recommend it anymore

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
Ron154945, Owner at Hemingways By the Sea Bed and Breakfast Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 26 January 2011

My sincere apologies, I remember that day. If I was not there to meet you at a scheduled or agreed upon time, then there indeed was a mix up. Please accept my apologies for that. I now provided emergency phone numbers for my guests along with their reservation confirmation. I hope this will prevent any future difficulties. If at any time I appeared unfriendly, that is not me. I get so many positive responses about my welcoming personality, that if I appeared unfriendly or upset, I truly apologize. If something is not right, unclean or out of place, we will happily fix it just as soon as we are aware of the problem. We work hard to create a good atmosphere and keep the place clean and tidy. We have posted two maps on our Web Site, on of which shows an aerial view locating us just over two blocks from Fleming Beach (the Ocean). We sincerely appreciate hearing about your concerns. They are always reminders that we can do better and we will. Please give us another try and you will see. I just learned how to use Trip Advisor's Response System and now can respond to all concerns. Thanks - Ilona-Owner

Reviewed 6 September 2010

We loved our 4-night-stay and would recommand to everyone to spend as much time, better more! There is so much to do and discover in the area, not just Victoria. Ilona, the most helpful host you could imagine, knows the best spots and deals for everything. Her braekfasts are outstanding, and she really cares about every single guest. The Serengeti suite is very spacious, with large bathroom, storage, and kitchen area, and is decorated with love to every detail. All of the house is very unique and clean. The location is not perfect for downtown Victoria, but very calm. Just be prepared to walk a while, go by bus or bring a car!
Extra-tip: The weather was nice and warm during the day, but evenings were REALLY cold - in august!

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 September 2010

This was our second stay at Hemmingways by the sea. We stayed there last summer, and we were treated so well that we decided to stay there again when we came out for my wife's daughter's Wedding. Ilona goes the extra mile to make her guests feel welcome. The rooms are clean and comfortable, and the food is plentiful and delicious. Ilona goes out of her way to make sure any special dietary needs are met. Hemmingways by the Sea is located on a quiet street and is centrally located in the middle of Victoria among beautiful homes. We would definately stay there again and would recommend Hemmingways By the Sea to any of our friends
Bob & Rhea Johnston

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 August 2010

Although we went there late at night, Ilona still waited for us, and gave us some tea, introducing the room. The room is very beautiful. Its decoration is cute and typical. Staying there one night really can let us feel comfortable and relax. Because we leave Victoria downtown at about 10 pm, so there was few buses to take us to Hemingway's By the Sea Bed and Breakfast Inn. Then we called a taxi, and it spent about 8 minutes to drive us there. For people without a car, it is quite inconvenient to get there, but Hemingway's By the Sea Bed and Breakfast Inn is really worth to everyone to stay. The breakfast was very good, and we liked everything Ilona baked. Moreover, the B&B is near the beach and the sea. We really enjoyed the night and half day in B&B and the beach.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 August 2010

Hostess Ilona Landahl of Hemningway's by the Sea offers beautfiul, comfortable rooms and a copious, nutritious breakfast. Above all, she is a gracious hostess and gives you a feeling of home. Being close to a calm bay you can walk to a boat that will take you to Victoria. I very much enjoyed my stay and will return next year.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled solo