“Never would've expected!”

Days Inn Victoria Uptown
Ranked #25 of 46 Hotels in Victoria
Reviewed 18 January 2012

I don't remember the last time I stayed at a travelodge (maybe never?) but thought I'd give it a shot because I was booking three/four rooms and needed to be budget conscious. I can't say I expected much, driving up and seeing that the front lobby was under construction. However, this place proved to me how a simple place could far exceed my expectations! Upon arrival, the front desk receptionist was very friendly and knew our booking exactly as soon as I mentioned we had multiple rooms. She had it all ready to go and was able to accommodate rooms next to each other (I had e-mailed the general manager a few days prior to arrival requesting rooms next to each other). It would have been nice if we had adjoining rooms, but they were not able to accommodate it based on the rooms that were occupied that week. However, having rooms next to each other was fine anyway. We went into our room and was pleasantly surprised!! I was expecting a somewhat old-looking room, with very basic ammenities. However, this was more like a 3 1/2 star hotel, with renovations and upgrades throughout. Within a few minutes of settling into our room, the front desk had already called to make sure our room was okay. Really? Never expected such service! We've stayed at many 4 and 5 star hotels all over the world and have never experienced this simple gesture that makes such a difference!! We mentioned that we would be needing a crib. The front desk said that she would try her best and within 5 minutes, there was a knock on the door with a crib! The rest of our 2 night stay was fabulous and we had no problems except for the lack of parking sometimes at night. Check-out was quick and efficient. Hotel staff (both reception and cleaning staff) were all fabulous. Amazing service, friendly. Very pleasantly surprised!! I will definitely stay here again on my next visit to Victoria!!! Props to the general manager. Has changed my view of travelodge!!! :)

Room Tip: One on the first floor if you have a lot of luggage as there is no elevator. Rooms further away fro...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank carollynnwong
TravelodgeVictoria, General Manager at Days Inn Victoria Uptown, responded to this reviewResponded 20 January 2012

Thank you for taking the opportunity to share your wonderful experience at our hotel. It is certainly gratifying to hear that we have made a Travelodge guest out of you! We do this by always finding ways to offer more value to our guests like in our enhanced guest room amenities and consistently friendly service. There is definitely more to our hotel than initially meets the eye. We pride ourselves on the high levels of quality and service that we offer to our guests and on our most recent inspection, we were once again awarded the Travelodge Canada Quality Excellence designation which places us in the top 10% of all Travelodge properties in Canada based on the comfort, cleanliness, and service that we provide. Thank you for your review and we look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed 11 January 2012

I visit Victoria about 8 times a year. I used to shop around and stay at random hotels until about 2 years ago when I stayed at the Gorge Road Travelodge. The location is great for heading downtown or up Island. The rooms are clean and spacious. In the morning I enjoy the walk through the park to the walkway along the Gorge. The front desk has always been helpful and informative.

Room Tip: Rooms on the south side face the park and water. They tend to be quieter as well.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family

Thanks for taking the time to write a review of our hotel. It's great to hear that you have found a home away from home in Victoria for yourself at our hotel! We pride ourselves on our clean and comfortable guest rooms along with great service which keeps all of our loyal guests coming back to see us regularly. The beautiful walk to the Gorge Waterway is also an added bonus for our guests. Thanks for your loyalty and we look forward to seeing you again soon on another one of your many trips to Victoria.

Reviewed 9 January 2012

This hotel is located away from the tourist area and the downtown core, which in Victoria is a good thing. The downtown area has really gone downhill over the last few years. This hotels location at the Gorge waterway (river?) makes for a very nice neighbor-hood/ country feel. The downtown and local tourist area is close enough by way of the Galloping Goose Trail, which is not too far away to access from the hotel. The price was excellent for the room. Two comfortable queen size beds with modern bedspreads and good, large pillows that didn't smell of the last people who laid their heads upon them. The large flat screen t.v. was nice. The shower flow was powerful. They do take pets which is great. The woman at the reception was friendly, sincere and courteous. My only issue is the stairs outside, if someone is running up them it can be quite noisy.
The room was quite clean as well. Yes the hotel is a little older, as many are the world over. They can't all be new. As long as it sparkles with cleanliness who cares how old a hotel is? I would stay there again and recommend it to friends. Why stay on the noisy strip when this little gem is tucked away around the corner on a serene waterway?

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel. I am so pleased to hear that you found great value in our accommodations which is exactly what we strive to offer. Our location, just outside of the downtown core, certainly does have its advantages including a quiet, family friendly neighbourhood atmosphere along with quick and convenient access to most parts of Victoria while offering spectacular views of the Upper Harbour. I am glad that you enjoyed it. We are also very proud of the cleanliness of our hotel which can be attributed to an experienced and dedicated housekeeping team which we are very proud has earned us the Travelodge Canada Quality Excellence designation for our last 3 consecutive inspections. Thanks for noticing our hard work and we look forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed 29 December 2011

We just spent our annual Christmas vacation at the Travelodge Victoria. We expected more from this hotel. We felt that the fact that we spent a week here was to our disadvantage. We were skipped over, and missed numerous times for housekeeping. We even had to go to the Front Desk to ask for towels, because the housekeeping staff had left for the day, and not serviced our room. Apparently, the staff only services an extended stay room two times during each week. Also, we used the guest computer available for use in the lobby, although every time my husband went to use it he was asked if he was a guest by the Front Desk clerk.
Geez, after you've stayed somewhere for a couple days doesn't the staff recognize the guests!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Susan B

Thank you for taking the time to share your most recent experience at our hotel. I am sorry if we did not meet your expectations. Extended stay guests typically pay the lowest rate in the hotel which is why we only provide limited housekeeping service. By keeping costs down, we are able to pass the savings on to our guests. I do apologize for any inconvenience or misunderstanding this may have caused. If additional housekeeping services are required, we are happy to oblige and offer it to our guests if requested within a reasonable time frame. In regards to our lobby computer, we do get a lot of our restaurant guests using the computer which is why the front desk tries to be diligent to ensure that it is only used by hotel guests. I apologize that we failed to recognize your husband as a hotel guest. If you wish to discuss this further, please contact me at darryl@travelodgevictoria.com Please know that guest satisfaction is very important to us and we will do whatever we can to rectify any outstanding issues in the hopes that you will consider us again in the future. We pride ourselves on maintaining our brand promise of "Nice Rooms, Great People!"

Reviewed 7 December 2011

I stayed with my Family at the hotel on August 2011. The hotel is simple and a bit outdated but it was clean and the staff were very friendly (come to think of it everyone in Victoria was very friendly). The beds were very comfortable and the hotel was very easy to find even though I had never driven around Victoria before. The breakfast was very good and price was reasonable. The lady at the restaurant was very friendly and made us feel at home. Great value for the price.

Room Tip: try to get a room on the lower level, there is no elevator.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay with us this summer. I am pleased to hear that our hotel met your expectations. We value the feedback of our guests and we are always looking for ways to keep improving our hotel and keeping it up to date while still offering our guests the best value around. We look forward to serving you again soon!

Reviewed 3 December 2011

Last month we had to find a pet-friendly hotel in Victoria and needed to be close to the emergency vet clinic. We selected this hotel based totally on location. The price was quite low so our expectations were not high but we were pleasantly surpised. We have stayed in many luxury hotels with beds that were not as comfortable as this one. And the bed linens were immactulate! For this price it was an absolute deal!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ASnugHarbourInn
TravelodgeVictoria, General Manager at Days Inn Victoria Uptown, responded to this reviewResponded 6 December 2011

Thanks for sharing your most recent experience at our hotel. I hope that everything went well at the vet clinic. We value our pet guests as much as our regular guests. I'm glad that you enjoyed your guest room and that you found our new beds to be very comfortable. Next time you're in town, be sure to ask our front desk about our luxury pet beds also complete with white bed linens!

Reviewed 22 November 2011

I got a really good deal on this hotel and I'm glad I did, because if I'd paid full price I would have been disappointed. The room was clean, but freezing; they didn't turn the heat on when when came and the room wasn't comfortably warm until late in the evening. In addition, I suspect there was nobody in the room below because the floor was freezing! The bathtub was clogged, but the water pressure was great, (you long haired girls know what I'm talking about) and the shower was hot, which I also used to heat the room.

Location was good, price was good, and if you just want somewhere to sleep, I'd recommend this place, just ask them to turn on the heat when you book.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your most recent stay. I am sorry that your room was not pre-heated prior to your arrival. Our housekeeping department does typically set a standard of pre-heating rooms for all of our arrivals but yours must have been missed. I apologize for the inconvenience and I assure you this is not a routine occurence. We pride ourselves on offering great value to our guests even those who pay full price. If you have any suggestions on what would make our hotel worth the full price, please let me know as value is important to us and our guests. Feel free to e-mail me with your suggestions anytime at darryl@travelodgevictoria.com