“Very enjoyable - nice staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Nar Cafe Bistro - CLOSED

Nar Cafe Bistro
Cuisines: Turkish
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Victoria
“Very enjoyable - nice staff”
Reviewed 27 January 2013

My wife and I had dinner at the Nar Cafe in January 2013. We got a table downstairs by the window.

The service is very good. The people are really friendly and warm.

The menu is a bit small but there's something for everyone. I had braised lamb shank, my wife had mixed kebabs. Both were very good. My wife's kebab meal was honestly big enough for 2 or maybe even 3 people.

The sides were good - eggplant puree, rice/mashed potatoes, brocollini - though the steamed vegetables 'looked' like a frozen mix. I don't know if they were or not and they tasted good enough but they had that 'frozen vegetable' look and if it were my restaurant I probably wouldn't serve them just because of that.

I had Turkish dark beer - Efes - it was very nice. My wife had an anise flavored strong alcohol from Turkey called Reki that you mix with cold water. It was good but very strong so beware.

The desert and turkish coffee were also very good. We had the mixed deserts and it was big enough for both of us. I particularly enjoyed the apricots with almonds and craisins in a simple syrup.

Overall we enjoyed our meal and wouldn't hesitate to come back or recommend it. I would have given it a 5 if the presentation was a bit better and if the vegetables looked a little more appealing. It's not the kind of meal you have more than once every year or two but I'll keep it in mind for future trips.

• Visited January 2013

victoria, bc
“Wonderful Turkish food and atmosphere”
Reviewed 18 January 2013

The cosy restaurant has upstairs and main floor seating in the more formal restaurant and casual seating in the coffee/lunch area. In summer the small back garden is delightful to sit and have lunch. Food is wonderfully delicious with a good selection of dishes and carefully added spices. Treat yourself to mezzes and an entrees and you will be amazed at the flavours. Well recommended after several visits.

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank sheret
Victoria, Canada
“a Turkish gem”
Reviewed 19 December 2012

Nar Cafe Bistro is located in the Oak Bay area of Victoria in a converted old house. It is run by a husband and wife team who originally came from Turkey and now share their love of Turkish cuisine with the lucky folks of Victoria. The food is simple and delicious. The hosts are warm and welcoming. A great place for a quiet lunch or dinner. Check their hours and some days, reservations are a good thing. Enjoy!

• Visited December 2012
Calgary
“Second Visit - Plan Ahead for Dinner, But Worth It”
Reviewed 8 April 2012

Once again, we enjoyed visiting Nar. This is a family run Turkish restaurant in a somewhat out of the way location in Oak Bay, across from a small park and local recreation area, but not hard to find.

To start, we each had a mezze: my husband chose the cold mezze platter and I had the borek, and while we shared tastes of what we ordered, the borek alone would have been enough. Borek are good sized circular stuffed savoury pastries and 2 are provided, so they're easy for sharing. The cold mezze plate had 3 different items, one each and not as easy to share, but all were tasty. I had the roast lamb for the main course and spouse had a meatball dish. Everything was good, and we also had a half-litre of house red and ended up paying just under 100.00 all in. We could have spent a fair bit less and still enjoyed ourselves. Portions are fairly big but not overly generous.

For us, Nar presents an alternate but charming dining experience in Victoria. The good service, warm welcome, and food variety called us back. For dinner, as opposed to lunch, however, you do need to do some planning, as they are open at night for only (I think) Thursday through Saturday.

• Visited April 2012
1 Thank diegodogCalgary
Victoria, Canada
“Tasty Turkish Food at good value - worth a visit!”
Reviewed 26 February 2012

Nar Bistro is the only real Turkish restaurant in Victoria, run by a Turkish family. It has a small menu of well-executed dishes. I have visited a number of times over several years, bringing family, work colleagues and friends (including many Turkish friends) and have never been disappointed. On my most recent visit, I had the vegetarian platter - which provides a delightful selection of tastes and flavours. Don't forget to try the Mosaik dessert - a Turkish favourite. If you are unfamiliar with Turkish food, definitely come here to try some. The service is friendly. The restaurant is in a converted house, with both an upstairs and downstairs dining area. Make sure to ask for the downstairs if any of your party has mobility issues and trouble climbing stairs (note: the toilet is upstairs). If eating upstairs, ask for a table near the window for a view of Windsor park.

• Visited February 2012