“Nar is not Turkish any more.”
Review of Nar Cafe Bistro - CLOSED

Nar Cafe Bistro
Cuisines: Turkish
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 8 May 2013

The restaurant has changed ownership. It is now owned by a Chinese family and while the lunch menu is still Turkish, dinner is Chinese food. My husband and I went for dinner, hoping for Turkish food, but got mediocre, and over priced Chinese food.

1  Thank Mungli834

Reviewed 27 January 2013

My wife and I had dinner at the Nar Cafe in January 2013. We got a table downstairs by the window.

The service is very good. The people are really friendly and warm.

The menu is a bit small but there's something for everyone. I had braised lamb shank, my wife had mixed kebabs. Both were very good. My wife's kebab meal was honestly big enough for 2 or maybe even 3 people.

The sides were good - eggplant puree, rice/mashed potatoes, brocollini - though the steamed vegetables 'looked' like a frozen mix. I don't know if they were or not and they tasted good enough but they had that 'frozen vegetable' look and if it were my restaurant I probably wouldn't serve them just because of that.

I had Turkish dark beer - Efes - it was very nice. My wife had an anise flavored strong alcohol from Turkey called Reki that you mix with cold water. It was good but very strong so beware.

The desert and turkish coffee were also very good. We had the mixed deserts and it was big enough for both of us. I particularly enjoyed the apricots with almonds and craisins in a simple syrup.

Overall we enjoyed our meal and wouldn't hesitate to come back or recommend it. I would have given it a 5 if the presentation was a bit better and if the vegetables looked a little more appealing. It's not the kind of meal you have more than once every year or two but I'll keep it in mind for future trips.

Reviewed 18 January 2013

The cosy restaurant has upstairs and main floor seating in the more formal restaurant and casual seating in the coffee/lunch area. In summer the small back garden is delightful to sit and have lunch. Food is wonderfully delicious with a good selection of dishes and carefully added spices. Treat yourself to mezzes and an entrees and you will be amazed at the flavours. Well recommended after several visits.

1  Thank sheret
Reviewed 19 December 2012

Nar Cafe Bistro is located in the Oak Bay area of Victoria in a converted old house. It is run by a husband and wife team who originally came from Turkey and now share their love of Turkish cuisine with the lucky folks of Victoria. The food is simple and delicious. The hosts are warm and welcoming. A great place for a quiet lunch or dinner. Check their hours and some days, reservations are a good thing. Enjoy!

Reviewed 8 April 2012

Once again, we enjoyed visiting Nar. This is a family run Turkish restaurant in a somewhat out of the way location in Oak Bay, across from a small park and local recreation area, but not hard to find.

To start, we each had a mezze: my husband chose the cold mezze platter and I had the borek, and while we shared tastes of what we ordered, the borek alone would have been enough. Borek are good sized circular stuffed savoury pastries and 2 are provided, so they're easy for sharing. The cold mezze plate had 3 different items, one each and not as easy to share, but all were tasty. I had the roast lamb for the main course and spouse had a meatball dish. Everything was good, and we also had a half-litre of house red and ended up paying just under 100.00 all in. We could have spent a fair bit less and still enjoyed ourselves. Portions are fairly big but not overly generous.

For us, Nar presents an alternate but charming dining experience in Victoria. The good service, warm welcome, and food variety called us back. For dinner, as opposed to lunch, however, you do need to do some planning, as they are open at night for only (I think) Thursday through Saturday.

1  Thank diegodogCalgary