“Not as bad as the reviews make it out to be.”
Review of Hotel 760

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Victoria
Hotel 760
“Not as bad as the reviews make it out to be.”
Reviewed 21 August 2013

The night prior to arriving I had started reading the reviews of this non-refundable room I had purchased. It gave me serious anxiety and made me stress out. I got there and was so relieved. Staff were friendly and normal, the rooms were clean and as pictured, and I did not see one bug or mouse.

To be fair the neighborhood felt a bit seedy, but the guests I saw were young couples with children, seniors, and just normal people. The dishes in the kitchenette weren't very clean and had to be rewashed, but was no big deal. The towels were clean but scraggly, bring your own.

Overall it was decent hotel for a decent price. It never felt dirty, but some people have higher expectations than others I guess. They just need to go back packing to realize Hotel 760 is not too shabby.

Overall, I would recommend it to a friend.

• Stayed August 2013
8 Thank LovinTheuniverse

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
salem oregon
Reviewed 23 July 2013

The pictures are not what this hotel looks like!Went with three friends and was horrified! It seems to be run by former homeless people who live there now.The front desk was courteous but also honest about the place .It smelled, was filthy, stained beds, no washcloths, no clock, curtains falling apart.Didn't feel safe at all, people sleeping in cars out front.Plastic wrapped around front of building.Those pictures must be ancient because that is NOT what it looks like now!The carpet was filthy , tub dirty.The first thing the front desk clerk said was "you know there is no refund" before we looked at the room.Two men were the maids, doing the best they could I suppose.The place is For Sale for a reason.Would not have stayed but all others were booked.It's the worst place I have ever stayed and I'm not that picky but cleanliness is a must no matter what the price.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank margaritaville02
robin k, Owner at Hotel 760, responded to this review, 11 August 2013
We at Hotel 760 would offer the following comments both generally and specifically.

Hotel 760 is a budget hotel offering value for the money. We offer clean secure accommodation in downtown Victoria at a fraction of the price.

Our rooms feature king size beds, air conditioning, WiFi and Satellite TV. There are full galley kitchens available with most rooms. Some room have jetted tubs. There are great decks off of most rooms.There is adequate parking for all vehicles.

With respect renovations, we have been doing repairs to the end of the building hence the plastic. We do not know how to realistically protect the building from the weather without sheeting it in plastic. Others have commented that it is nice to see upgrades happening. Our comments would be that some see "the glass half empty; some half full".

With respect to operations, housekeeping is performed daily. Bedding is washed and bleached immediately on check out. Rooms and hallways are constantly vacuumed and shampooed. Rooms are regularly painted and cleaned. These comments about smells, rot, stairs falling down, etc., etc. are simply not true. Further, these comments are simply not realistic.

Behind alot of these complaints is often a story of a guest who takes advantage of our non-refundable pricing or stays the night and then for whatever reason demands their money back. If there is validity in the complaint we try to deal with it in a manner fair to the guest.

We are a down to earth operation. We are not "hoity". We do not discriminate between male and female housekeepers. We do not have that kind of tunnel vision. We look for solutions. We strive to accommodate all Visitors.

Finally, we do not know how to measure the comments of "Not a bad port in a storm" against comments like "Horrible location, very dirty hotel". We are not offering five star "chocolates on the pillow" accommodation. We are offering value. Go a mere two or three blocks closer to downtown and you will pay twice the price. In our opinion, to come to a budget hotel and expect the amenities of a five star are not realistic. You will not book cheaper in downtown Victoria.

Travellers are raving about these Victoria hotels

Surrey, Canada
Reviewed 21 May 2013

We booked two rooms in this hotel through booking.com. The pictures make this look like a decent, inexpensive place to stay for the weekend. From the minute we pulled up to the front of the hotel, we were uncomfortable. The hotel is covered with plastic sheeting, plywood, peeling paint and rotting boards. It's in an obviously bad neighbourhood, and certainly not a 5 minute walk to the downtown core. When you walk in, you are overwhelmed with the smell of cigarette smoke, despite all of the no smoking signs plastered everywhere. There was also a strong smell of stale dirty water and rot. The front steps feel like they are about to give in, and the tiles were all broken. The hallways are dark, so much so that you can barely see where you are going. The front desk clerk looked like he had just crawled out of bed, and continued to eat his food while 'serving' customers. We immediately asked to see the rooms because of these reasons. They also smelled strongly of cigarettes and musk. The carpet was pulled up and buckled everywhere. The bathroom was definitely not fit for human use. The grout looked as if it had never been cleaned. I don't ask for much in a hotel besides a clean place to sleep at night. I would not even feel comfortable enough to leave my luggage in this hotel while I was out. This is not a place for the average tourist. This is the type of place for the down and out to stay long term for cheap monthly rates - not a fun weekend stay. When we expressed our concerns to the man at the front desk, we were told that it's exactly like the pictures on booking.com and that 'pictures don't lie'. He also said that all hotels stage their pictures. He basically told us to go to hell, and he didn't care if he got a bad review, apparently they get this a lot. Needless to say, we did not get our money back. Luckily enough, we were able to get rooms in a much nicer, cleaner hotel last minute. I would advise anyone to stay far far away from this nightmare. (Also goes by Traveller's Inn)

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Dawn M
Salmon Arm
Reviewed 8 October 2012

I'd read a few not so charitable reviews but it was the only hotel in the downtown area that wasn't booked when I made last minute bookings. I was pleasantly surprised. Don't get me wrong...I wouldn't book it for the in-laws but if you have a marathon in the morning and you're there for the bed not the atmosphere- it nicely fills the bill. Which brings me to the bill. It was a bargain considering you're in the most expensive town in BC! It's on the tree lined Patricia Bay Hwy side not the noisy Douglas Street side of Queens Ave. I slept like a baby (but when I left I took my valuables with me -just in case).

• Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
Kent, Washington
Reviewed 8 October 2012

We booked two nights at this hotel. On the first night we were awoken at 4 am to a mouse eating a protein bar in my husbands bag. When he went to tell the "night person", he told him there was not much he could do until the manager came on duty in the morning. When we talked to the manager all she said they could do was set a trap. We left for the entire second day. Got up Sunday morning to a dead mouse (in the trap) under the bed. The mangagment acted like it was something that happened all the time!. I would NEVER recommend this hotel. There was hair (not mine) in the shower drain. The bed was basically touching the "entertainment center". I seriously felt like I needed to lysol myself when we checked out. You really get what you pay for. The pictures of hotel on the website do not even come close to what the hotel looks like... it was gross! The elevator was out of order, when we pulled in to the "free" parking there were broke down cars and some guys building bunkbeds in the undercover parking area.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Julia R
Stockholm
Reviewed 3 September 2012

High value for money - the beds were really comfortable and the room was nice, clean and spacious. The front desk was very helpful and friendly.
About 10 minutes walk to the harbour. Good breakfast restaurant in close proximity.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank StockholmMarie
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 27 August 2012

I am a student from Toronto , and when I arrived at Victoria I checked all the Hotels and I decided to stay at Hotel 760 .I love my stay there , the staff are amazing and helpful and very professional . My room was great for the the budget traveller like me and slept great after long camping trip.
The Hotel 760 is close to Douglas and Queen the location is great you can walk to downtown like 15 min to bay center at Douglas and View .
I am outdoor person so the Beacon hill park is like 25 min from the hotel and amazing gardens
I usually go there to do yoga with my friends .

overall amazing hotel and everything is close by .

I will surely book again the Hotel 760.

Ciao

Room Tip: The amazing about Hotel 760 is that you can stay for a day or a week or a month .the prices are budg...