“My Wife is still mad at me !”
Review of Paul's Motor Inn

Paul's Motor Inn
Ranked #40 of 49 Hotels in Victoria
Salt Spring Island, Canada
“My Wife is still mad at me !”
Reviewed 2 June 2013

As a birthday treat I took my wife to the Sting concert which required an overnight stay in Victoria.
I chose Paul's because it is one block from the arena . We checked in after the concert around midnight . Two steps into the room and I knew by the smell I had made a mistake . It smelled of fourth years of smoking and old sheets . Cobwebs on the ceiling and towels so thin you could see through them . I got on the phone and tried to book elsewhere but all other rooms in town were booked .
My wife spent all night on the bed with her jacket on and her arms crossed . I'm pretty hardy but you know what they say " Happy wife ... Happy life "
It spoiled what could have been a great birthday !

Room Tip: Book elsewhere......
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Derek S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Vancouver, B.C.
Reviewed 28 May 2013

We stayed at Paul's for two reasons: it was dog friendly and dirt cheap. It definitely feels like a motor inn. Our room was a little creepier than I would like it, even given the fact that it was dog friendly and would therefore be one of the less updated rooms. Wood paneling, basic bedding, and a very worn out bathroom with stained linoleum made me feel a little bit like I might be unwittingly starring in some kind of horror movie where the staff were filming us secretly and planning their midnight attack. That being said, it was reasonably clean and more than enough room; I also liked that there was a sink and vanity area outside the (very small) bathroom. The diner must also be checked out - it is a retro gem with great, down to earth true diner gals - when I asked for my leftovers to go, I was brought a giant piece of foil to my table (which was truly the best way to take away the rest of my sandwich). Loved it. If you want a cheap place to crash that will accept your furry four-legged friend, go for it. If you are particular at all or simply
don't want to feel like you have walked into the motor inn you stayed in while on a cross country driving trip with your parents in 1976, do not go for it.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Surrey, Canada
Reviewed 27 May 2013

It's great if you want a cheap and convenient location. I've gone here every year for years.Always cracking jokes on it and not wanting to answer when store staff ask you where your staying. It's not the cleanest. My last experience was probably my worse. My toilet seat is sani safe but the actually toilet was dirty and the showers were growing yellow in the corners. Not enough towels for two people in a two bed bedroom and if you ask for more, leave a tip, you still won't see'em. The beds are rock solid and for a Queen size bed you get two piddly (barely twin size pillows) I always wake with a stiff neck but their powerful showers work it out (Unless your too tall for the shower, like my friend, she got the crick in her neck just trying to wash her hair). I wouldn't recommend Paul's if your counting on a strong wi-fi signal, our group, multiple devices couldn't connect. As safety goes I've had no problems but have heard my door knob jiggle in the night so lock up. The rooms are stuffy so we do sleep with our windows open It was great for when I was broke and needed to stay in Victoria for shows but now I'm older I'm sure I can do better! Also arguing with the staff that I wasn't in fact the one who threw up in front of my rooms door at check out, left a bad taste in mouth...

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Jenn604

Travellers are raving about these Victoria hotels

Golden, B.C.
Reviewed 7 May 2013

Stayed for 3 nights. I would class this motel as "utilitarian". The rooms are in need of updating, but they are clean and comfortable. We found the staff friendly and obliging. The location served us well as we were able to walk to our destinations.
Tip: Spend the extra and book a "Courtyard Room". It is very private. We did not notice any city traffic noises from our room.

Room Tip: Try the Courtyard rooms for a secluded quiet place.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank 2SpryGuy
Salt Spring Island, Canada
Reviewed 1 February 2013

Staff and manager were all excellent and went out of their way to help.
The diner food was so good, large portions made from scratch, and lots of comfort food.
Front desk staff were always helpful with anything I needed,
Housekeeping was awesome, especially Carly.
Michael the manager is a gem of a person.
The chef was a real pro with some wonderful specials every day.
My room was soundproof, the bed and duvet were comfortable.
coffee machine, fridge, hair dryer, and microwave, and laundry facilities made it more convenient.
I had a great stay.

Room Tip: The rooms with your own inner courtyard would be the best choice, and furthest from traffic.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank Bustedog
Reviewed 23 November 2012

We stayed for 3 nights. The rooms are VERY outdated and rundown but VERY clean. Beds and pillows were very comfortable, free wifi and parking. There aren't enough outlets in the rooms that are accessible. Amazing location, close to everything. Staff is very bland, not friendly or welcoming. It's a suitable place to stay if your on a budget and need somewhere to sleep. It's not the place to stay if you are looking for an amazing experience. I would however stay again for the price I got.

• Stayed November 2012
1 Thank Ashea99
Oshawa, Canada
Reviewed 26 October 2012

Scalded not once, but twice in 2 different rooms by the shower. Mouthy and argumentative housekeeping supervisor. No air conditioning, was NOT offered a fan, even though one was available in the room the we moved to (broken fan, but worked none the less)
Rooms are old, dated and not up to the standards that are offered in other hotels/motels.
Restaurant was really good, but can't save the "stuck in the 50's" feel of this place.
stay away and spend your money at a real motel.

Room Tip: If you are going to stay, pay the extra money for the courtyard rooms. bigger rooms.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple