“lean on $$$”
Review of Paul's Motor Inn

Paul's Motor Inn
Ranked #38 of 46 Hotels in Victoria
Reviewed 15 July 2013

Booked Paul's on short notice, we were pleasantly surprised by the great location, ease of access to downtown. The place is dated but clean, if your expectations are for 5 star then you need to look for that kind of place. Paul's is priced right and gives the basics of comfort, cleanliness and convenience. The ladies at reception were polite and friendly at both check in and out. I will stay there again and will recommend Pauls to friends.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 15 July 2013

Older, but comfortable. If you can, get a room in the inner court yard. We got room B87. The rooms in the inner courtyard are quieter than the ones on the outside facing the street. No air condition or microwave. Has a fan and fridge. TV is CRT style.

Room Tip: Choose rooms in the inner courtyard (less street noise).
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 June 2013

I want to say a big thank you to Paul's Motor Inn for the service they gave to a couple who had just been turned away from the motel across the street because they did not have photo ID. I paid for their stay at that motel by credit card. The couple were refused accommodation there. I told them to go across to Paul's and immediately phoned this motel, they emailed by the third party form, I filled out and by the time I scanned and sent back the couple were already in their unit. A big thank you for the kindness shown to a couple who are on limited income, have disabilities and needed to be in a safe place just for one night. They were so grateful to be treated with respect and kindness by the staff of Paul's compared to having a security come and stand over this couple while I was told on the phone they were not allowed to stay there because they had no government issued ID.
I will keep this in mind when my friends visit me from out of town.
Yes Paul's is not the Empress but the service is of the same quality as I have recieved from the Empress, the Grand Pacific and other major hotels in Victoria. Thank you for caring!!!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Alice R
Reviewed 13 June 2013

We had a confirmed reservation for 2 nights. When we arrived, we were told we could not stay there as they do not accept cash. REALLY???? We were quite prepared to add a deposit, but no, they "cannot process cash." Fortunately the very nice hotel right across the street was more than happy to host us - Go to the City Centre Inn instead - they actually accept cash! Who knew?

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank cmnarles
Reviewed 7 June 2013

I wonder if the place is under new management since some of the really negative comments were written. My room was pretty plain-jane but the bed and pillows were comfy, everything worked and it was clean. People are right -- the room was a bit warm and stuffy, which could be a problem in really hot weather, but I didn't seem to have a problem if I left the door open for half an hour to let it air out before I went to bed. The place is right on Douglas Street, the main drag, so if you are bothered by noisy traffic, pay another few bucks for a Courtyard room, wnich ssems to be more insulated from the street. If you want fancy, stay at the Empress, but if you just want a place to sleep and you are travelling on your own nickle, this seems to be a good bet.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Doug248
Reviewed 2 June 2013

As a birthday treat I took my wife to the Sting concert which required an overnight stay in Victoria.
I chose Paul's because it is one block from the arena . We checked in after the concert around midnight . Two steps into the room and I knew by the smell I had made a mistake . It smelled of fourth years of smoking and old sheets . Cobwebs on the ceiling and towels so thin you could see through them . I got on the phone and tried to book elsewhere but all other rooms in town were booked .
My wife spent all night on the bed with her jacket on and her arms crossed . I'm pretty hardy but you know what they say " Happy wife ... Happy life "
It spoiled what could have been a great birthday !

Room Tip: Book elsewhere......
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Derek S
Reviewed 28 May 2013

We stayed at Paul's for two reasons: it was dog friendly and dirt cheap. It definitely feels like a motor inn. Our room was a little creepier than I would like it, even given the fact that it was dog friendly and would therefore be one of the less updated rooms. Wood paneling, basic bedding, and a very worn out bathroom with stained linoleum made me feel a little bit like I might be unwittingly starring in some kind of horror movie where the staff were filming us secretly and planning their midnight attack. That being said, it was reasonably clean and more than enough room; I also liked that there was a sink and vanity area outside the (very small) bathroom. The diner must also be checked out - it is a retro gem with great, down to earth true diner gals - when I asked for my leftovers to go, I was brought a giant piece of foil to my table (which was truly the best way to take away the rest of my sandwich). Loved it. If you want a cheap place to crash that will accept your furry four-legged friend, go for it. If you are particular at all or simply
don't want to feel like you have walked into the motor inn you stayed in while on a cross country driving trip with your parents in 1976, do not go for it.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple