“Unique...in a good way....”
Review of Paul's Motor Inn

Paul's Motor Inn
Ranked #40 of 49 Hotels in Victoria
Reviewed 13 August 2013

Well, "unique" can be good new OR bad, especially in the case of hotels. Paul's is, mostly, "good" unique.

We had two, different, rooms (more later) and they were somewhat different. Both on the second floor (desirable) and on the "away from the street" end (VERY desirable). Our first room, and, apparently, most of the others, had a long, wooden, bench down almost the whole length of one wall of the room. Looked weird, but, well, works GREAT, for putting luggage, etc. Our second room was almost idential, except it lacked that long bench. The second room had been recently painted (the room only, not the bath{?}), and, apparently, they removed the bench at that time. Too bad...it was a good, if "unusual" feature.

The rooms are small, the bath rooms tiny (but serviceable), and the closet/lavatory is nicely separate from the toilet/shower room. The TV in room #1 was a rather tiny, CRT, older model "flat screen". In room #2, a modern, still tiny, lcd flat screen.

NO A/C, but both a ceiling fan and a portable fan. And, if you are off the street as we were, you can leave your window open at night (after around 10 p.m.) and get a gentle breeze (temps here for our stay were in the low 80's (f).

Resaturant is only open for breakfast and lunch (good breakfast!) during the week, but stays open later on weekends.

As mentioned elsewhere, Paul's is good value for the money, "unique" and has Seattle's Best coffee for the in-room coffee pots. Life is good.

Oh, about the room change: a group of (drunken?) golfers showed up late in the day, making all kinds of noise, shouting across the parking lots and, generally having a good time at the expense of the rest of us. The desk was at pains to QUICKLY move the rest of the guests in that part of the hotel to quieter rooms...a great service that avoided confrontations and kept everyone happy. Desk receptionist Gemma deserves the credit for getting this done with little fuss!

The in-room furnishings are rather tired and stained, but, at least in room #2, the carpet was clean and the mattresses were clean and comfortable.

Last comment: lovely, hanging flower baskets all over the place. Nice touch!

Room Tip: Upstairs, AWAY from Douglass Street!
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank William W

Reviewed 29 July 2013

I booked Paul's through one of Expedia's top secret deals (you don't know which hotel you've booked until after it's been prepaid - usually excellent deals). At first I thought "Oh darn!" - we'd stayed there a couple of years ago and all I could remember was that it was a dive. Well, it's still somewhat dive-like, but the positives outweigh the negatives. The ugly: OLD rooms (think 1973, but with some cheap updates over the years - and the remote for the TV was covered in plastic wrap, not sure why, and the place is very worn around the edges). Flimsy towels (looked like they'd cut a bath sheet in half to create "two" towels and fluctuating water heat - that one may be an understatement, ha-ha). The Good: A relatively clean room (I didn't feel I needed to leave my shoes on, at any rate), great location (walking distance to the museum, China Town and all the good shopping and restaurants), great price (a hotel downtown in Victoria for under $100 in the middle of summer??) Free parking right outside your room (handy and safe) and super friendly front desk staff. The guy honestly acted as though nothing was too much difficulty. After checking out, I asked if I could leave my car for the day while we went exploring and he said "absolutely, leave it as long as you want!" And they have Seattle's Best for their in-room coffee, so there you go! When I give the "4 star" rating in this case, I do so mostly because, though it's certainly not a "4 star" by Canadian standards, you are getting an acceptable room in a good location, with friendly staff and, most importantly, at a price below what you'd otherwise expect to pay.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank berniece2000
Reviewed 15 July 2013

Booked Paul's on short notice, we were pleasantly surprised by the great location, ease of access to downtown. The place is dated but clean, if your expectations are for 5 star then you need to look for that kind of place. Paul's is priced right and gives the basics of comfort, cleanliness and convenience. The ladies at reception were polite and friendly at both check in and out. I will stay there again and will recommend Pauls to friends.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 July 2013

Older, but comfortable. If you can, get a room in the inner court yard. We got room B87. The rooms in the inner courtyard are quieter than the ones on the outside facing the street. No air condition or microwave. Has a fan and fridge. TV is CRT style.

Room Tip: Choose rooms in the inner courtyard (less street noise).
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 June 2013

I want to say a big thank you to Paul's Motor Inn for the service they gave to a couple who had just been turned away from the motel across the street because they did not have photo ID. I paid for their stay at that motel by credit card. The couple were refused accommodation there. I told them to go across to Paul's and immediately phoned this motel, they emailed by the third party form, I filled out and by the time I scanned and sent back the couple were already in their unit. A big thank you for the kindness shown to a couple who are on limited income, have disabilities and needed to be in a safe place just for one night. They were so grateful to be treated with respect and kindness by the staff of Paul's compared to having a security come and stand over this couple while I was told on the phone they were not allowed to stay there because they had no government issued ID.
I will keep this in mind when my friends visit me from out of town.
Yes Paul's is not the Empress but the service is of the same quality as I have recieved from the Empress, the Grand Pacific and other major hotels in Victoria. Thank you for caring!!!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Alice R
Reviewed 13 June 2013

We had a confirmed reservation for 2 nights. When we arrived, we were told we could not stay there as they do not accept cash. REALLY???? We were quite prepared to add a deposit, but no, they "cannot process cash." Fortunately the very nice hotel right across the street was more than happy to host us - Go to the City Centre Inn instead - they actually accept cash! Who knew?

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank cmnarles
Reviewed 7 June 2013

I wonder if the place is under new management since some of the really negative comments were written. My room was pretty plain-jane but the bed and pillows were comfy, everything worked and it was clean. People are right -- the room was a bit warm and stuffy, which could be a problem in really hot weather, but I didn't seem to have a problem if I left the door open for half an hour to let it air out before I went to bed. The place is right on Douglas Street, the main drag, so if you are bothered by noisy traffic, pay another few bucks for a Courtyard room, wnich ssems to be more insulated from the street. If you want fancy, stay at the Empress, but if you just want a place to sleep and you are travelling on your own nickle, this seems to be a good bet.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business