“Not a downtown hotel”

Ranked #41 of 49 Hotels in Victoria
Copenhagen, Denmark
“Not a downtown hotel”
Reviewed 22 February 2012

When I booked the Sandman in Victoria I didn't do my homework too well.... I thought this was a downtown hotel with everything within walking distance. Not doing my homework before a trip is so unlike me. But as I drove from the harbor to the hotel I realized my error.

Sandman is located a couple of miles north of the city center. There's not much to do and the liquor store across the parking lot didn't make it any better at first sight. But like many other hotels the surroundings didn't seem to influence the standard of the hotel nor did I have any problems with the liquor store. This is Canada after all.

The hotel is clean and it's worth the money spend on it. It's not more, it's not less. The rooms are nice, the pool is nice and the location actually became very convenient when I headed north a couple of days later. But that's it... It's nothing special and I don't think it is meant to be more than ordinary.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank Kimketer

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Rochdale, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 November 2011

Stayed here 1 night in September 2011. Location a bit far out of downtown Victoria. Check in good - friendly staff. Reasonable size room at back of hotel, so nice and quiet. Free on site parking. Didn't use hotel for dining. Went into downtown. Had a drink at the sports bar - service good but very noisy! Hotel fine if you are travelling.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Travelstar51
generalhospitality, General Manager at Sandman Hotel Victoria, responded to this review, 23 March 2012
Thanks you so much for your feedback regarding your stay with us back in September 2011.

We are in fact in the downtown area, and are 2.3km ,10 minute drive to the inner harbour. Guests seem to like our location for the fact that we are centrally located to all of the great attractions throughout Victoria and we do offer free parking.

It is a ten minute drive and 25 minute walking distance to the inner harbour. We also have a bus stop located right outside the hotel which can take your directly to the inner harbour or other various attractions in the Victoria area. Some guest prefer this for the convenience of not having to pay or locate parking in the inner harbour area

We also have been and will continue to add new features to our guest rooms to ensure our guests have an enjoyable and well deserved stay with us. Our front desk team can assist you with any area tourist recommendations as well in this great city

We hope we will see you again soon!

Sandman Victoria
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed 12 November 2011

Last week we stayed here for 3 nights in a King Kitchenette suite. Very comfortable and surprisingly quiet, considering the location is at a very busy intersection. The rate was good and the staff helpful and accommodating. However, the TV reception definitely needed to be upgraded. The kitchen was adequately stocked with the basics and everything worked. We're locals and would stay here again if the need arises.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank WJP53
coquitlam, british columbia
Reviewed 23 October 2011

The place was nice but in a seedy location. The beds were very hard and uncomfortable. They stated that they would be changing them over but 'haven't got to it yet.' breakfast downstairs was good and they gave me a huge omelet- more than I could eat. The price was too high for the quality.

• Stayed October 2011
1 Thank tromponya
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 13 September 2011

I stayed at this hotel for a total of six weeks. The front desk staff is very polite and helpful with pretty much anything you inquire about. The rooms are basic and a little bit out dated/run down. I would suggest asking for a room away from a stairwell as the sound proofing is not 100% so the doors opening and closing will certainly keep you up at night. The housekeeping is a little bit slow. I was always out during the day and would return in the evening to no towels, shampoo etc. about half of the time. The other half of the time the rooms are very nicely kept. The hotel gym is a bit worn down but it's nice they have one! They also have coin laundry and other surprising and convinient ammenities. I would stay here again based on the welcoming staff and the location, not necessarily the hotel over all.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
generalhospitality, General Manager at Sandman Hotel Victoria, responded to this review, 29 September 2011
Thanks for taking the time to give us your feedback regarding your recent stay. And thank you for the compliments regarding our front desk team. We all take pride in our superior guest services.

In regards to your comment regarding housekeeping service, our housekeeping team does try to do all of our stayover rooms first and foremost. If you ever require or would like your room cleaned at a certain time please be sure to let us know and we are more than happy to do this daily at this time for you.

We are continuously doing upgrades to our property and sure on your next stay with us you will notice some of the changes.

If there is ever anything I can do for you during your stay please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

And again thanks for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 4 September 2011

This hotel is used to be good 7-8 yrs ago but it's gone to the "bad hotel" category in my opinion. Towels are worn out, decors outdated, pillows and bedding were disgusting. Here is the worse part... I left my lap top charger in the room, realized this after leaving town. Phoned 4 times. Twice to their house keeping, once to their office manager and once to their central reservation center. Nobody bothered to call back. This shows me serious lack of customer service in their culture. Better choices are out there folks.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Tommy72A
I appreciate your feedback and thanks for taking the time to make a review. I can assure we take great pride in our hotel and all of our guest rooms. All of our linens are replaced often to ensure cleanliness and comfort.

If there is ever an issue with your room or your sty please feel free to bring it to our attention and we can and would rectify this right away.

In regards to your misplaced item, we do keep a daily log of any lost and find items and any of our team at the front desk can verify if something was located in the room. I can assure you we do take great pride in our guest service and want to ensure each guest has a comfortable and relaxing stay with us.

I do apologize for your experience and if you would like to discuss this further please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Again thanks for your feedback and I do hope you will choose to stay with us again.

Brian Johnson

Travellers are raving about these Victoria hotels

edmonton
Reviewed 24 August 2011

we got into Victoria late and were looking for pretty much any place that had vacancies for the night. my husband grabbed us a room here and it was easily the worst place we had encountered on our trip. the rooms were freakishly small, air was stale, and no way to open a window. the first room we were given literally smelled like sewage. with no way to open a window, it was unacceptable. they gave us another room after I complained which also smelled like sewage, but less so. the carpet was dirty in the room and my pillow stunk of the previous guest's sweat. the beds were very uncomfortable, so I tried sleeping on the love seat. i don't know what the deal was with it, but I was itching all over when I got up. sleep was terrible due to the noise of a very loud ice machine that woke me in 20-30 minute cycles out in the hall. if the family had not been so exhausted, i would have turned around and found another place despite it being 11pm. i am surprised this place gets away with charging people $160 per night. Do not stay here!

Room Tip: avoid rooms near the ice machines on every floor