“Beautiful setting right on the beach - be prepared to be pampered and relax!”

The Lodge at Weirs Beach
Calgary
“Beautiful setting right on the beach - be prepared to be pampered and relax!”
Reviewed 22 May 2009

The Lodge reflects the owner's spirit and personality and offers a welcoming, calming experience. With the opportunity to also benefit from an amazing Thai massage or to participate in yoga geared toward all levels, combined with direct access to the beach and a lovely beach walk, be prepared to feel pampered and very relaxed. Request breakfast and/or cook for yourself in the group kitchen or visit the nearby Mychosin Restaurant. Hot tub is a bonus, under the moon and stars. Highly recommended!

• Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LJLCalgary

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Clagary
Reviewed 22 May 2009

A nice place for a quiet stay (on the beach), close to Victoria with a number of nice golf courses in the area.

• Stayed October 2008, travelled with friends
1 Thank RobLuv
Vancouver
Reviewed 21 May 2009

As a person that works in the City and leaves only to go to even larger Cities for work, this is the perfect getaway. It is a nice drive from the Ferry in Victoria and when you arrive to see the views and the wilderness you forget about all the work and stress in the City. The hot tub with a glass of Champagne is fantastic. The view of the Ocean and the sound of the birds reminds me of New Years resolutions to take care of myself, and here, I really do!!!

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank VancouverLad78
Beautiful BC Canada
Reviewed 1 August 2008

Thank you for a wonderful stay. What an amazing place!! Everything was just perfect: the lodge right on the beach, the room with a spectacular view of sunrises and Mt.Baker, the new owner Marg's caring attention and assistance, the ambiance, the hot tub, the campfires in the garden overlooking the beach, and finally the beach itself -sandy and beautiful. It's one of the most relaxing and breath-taking places I've ever traveled to. It's hard to believe that it's part of our beautiful BC and so easily accessible - one travels to jewels like this abroad! We'll be back for sure. Highly recommended. Annette with Family.

Stayed April 2008
1 Thank ManzanitaAnia
Victoria
Reviewed 19 April 2008

A wonderful healing experience. I didn't know what to expect when I booked my trip, but it went above and beyond my expectations. Whether sitting in the hot tub, wandering around the gardens or beach, or just sitting in front of the fire place in my room ... it was great and would highly recommend it to any one.

Stayed April 2008
1 Thank mia_artist
Reviewed 18 April 2008

Our stay at the lodge was a lovely oasis in a busy but wonderful stage in our lives, our daughter's wedding, I am so glad that we had the opportunity to spend our time there. It was a great venue for extended family to come together from around the world (Far East, UK, and across Canada), and relax and visit. The atmosphere was perfect and the appointments just right; comfy yet elegent, roomy yet cozy, restful yet invigorating.

There were so many thoughtful touches, a jar of jalapeno jelly for snacking on in the evening, healing massages, our hostess was available when needed and fit in with our activities. Marg (the owner) took a personal interest, and yet we appreciated a sense of privacy too. Everyone was positive about our vacation, it was truly a wonderful time.

• Liked — spacious, well appointed and equipped, friendly atmosphere
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed January 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
2 Thank b_lucid
washington
Reviewed 26 September 2007

This property has change ownership as of August 2007. The new owner is ill equipped to run a hospitality facility. During our stay no clean sheets or clean towels were provided. There is a laundry room but no supplies. Trash would pile up, so we were directed by the owner to an offsite, foul smelling place to dispose of trash. There is also a foul smell whenever the tide is low on this small beach, that permeates everything.

We paid for the full use of the outdoor amenities which we not fully available to us during our stay. The owner, daughters, boyfriends and friends used the facilities, (including hot tub) so that we were blocked from enjoying said amenities and even the sunset.

When our concerns were brought to the attention of staff, our complaints fell on deaf ears. The only person who could solve issues was gone for two days and not available by phone. Because we chose to end our stay, we were forced to pay an extra night because we were leaving one hour after the noon check out time. All because the owners daughters (staff) tried for hours to contact their mother for advice on how to handle the situation. Staff was rude and inconsiderate.

Stay down the road, there are many B&B's that offer breakfast, clean sheets and towels, hot tub and the same view with a better beach to walk on. But more importantly, with owner that know how to make you feel welcome.

• Liked — Leaving
  • Disliked — Unprofesstional owner and staff
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank tonia65
margVictoriaBC, owner at The Lodge at Weirs Beach, responded to this review, 25 May 2009
As the owner of the Lodge at Weirs Beach, I am responding to the review written by tonia65, dated September 6, 2007.

This particular guests’ stay was an unfortunate situation. I had literally taken possession of the Lodge that day, and did not have systems and services fully organized. I had not intended to take any bookings until I was fully ready, but these guests called at the last minute and were insistent about coming. So I explained the situation, and gave them a discount on their room price as a result.

These guests never mentioned any of the concerns in this review while they were at the Lodge. I checked in with them each day to see how things were going, and they always indicated that things were fine/there was nothing needed. The review was a complete shock to me when it appeared. I have tried repeatedly to contact these guests since this review appeared, in an effort to discuss what happened and see what I could be done to address their concerns; they have never responded. Given that the review is still on the Trip Advisor site, I feel the need to respond to the points they make:
• Clean sheets and towels were in fact provided at check-in. An offer to change their linen and/or room was made mid-stay, and they said “no”.
• The laundry room is not for guest use. It has commercial machines used to launder linens and towels by myself and staff only.
• It is true that the nearby garbage container had not been emptied and was smelly; this was one of the systems that I had not yet organized, and part of why I gave them a discount. This is no longer the situation.
• The ‘foul smell’ at low tide is from the natural decomposition of seaweed on the beach, and is a sign of a healthy eco-system. Guests should be aware that the Lodge is located on a wild west-coast beach and this smell occurs at times.
• The outdoor amenities are shared among all guests who may be staying at any one time. The Lodge has six rooms. A party that books all six rooms has exclusive use of the amenities. These guests booked one room, and so, when another party checked-in partway through their stay, they did indeed have to share the amenities. The ‘friends’ to whom the review refers were in fact these people who checked-in partway through their stay. I did know them personally, but they were paying guests and had every right to use the shared amenities.
• My daughters and I did use the hot tub at one point, while the guests were off the property at dinner. We vacated it immediately upon their return. This was something I had not yet sorted out at the time; now staff never use the hot tub when there are guests staying at the Lodge.
• I did not witness any interaction between these guests and my daughters, so cannot say what happened. My daughters indicate that in fact the guests were rather rude and they did their best to handle their unexpected demand to check-out early.
• These guests checked out after four days, after committing for a week’s stay. Since they communicated this decision to us after the usual check-out time, it was in fact reasonable to charge for the part-day that they stayed.

In hindsight, I realize that I made a mistake in renting a room to this party before getting everything organized. This was a new venture for me and the Lodge had had an absentee owner for several years. Although I gave them a discount on the room, because of this situation, it was not received in the spirit in which it was offered. A lesson learned for me.

In the nearly two years since I bought the Lodge, I have made considerable improvements to the property and to the systems used to manage it. I have never had a negative review since, and can assure all future guests that they will find a welcoming, clean and well-managed ‘home-away-from-home’ when they book at the Lodge at Weirs Beach.

Marg Lachmuth
Owner, Lodge at Weirs Beach
Victoria, BC
Also consider these accommodations in or near Victoria
Oak Bay Beach Hotel
Burnside
Arbutus Inn
Arbutus Inn
#36 of 52 in Victoria

Been to The Lodge at Weirs Beach? Share your experiences!