“Winter Sunshine”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Washington
“Winter Sunshine”
Reviewed 24 January 2009

Ah, Villa Marco Polo a warm, inviting, comfortable retreat.
This is my fourth visit to the Villa, and my first mid-winter stay. Who would have thought that I could come north from Washington state leaving rain and fog to find brilliant sunshine warming the rich earth-tones of the sumptuous interior of Villa Marco Polo?
The garden is neat and tidy for the winter; a few bulbs are just showing, and a splash of color appears here and there from sweet primroses in bloom. Interesting geometric shapes of thin-as-glass ice shimmer in the reflection pool, and the gerry oak trees that anchor the edges of the property, reveal their beautiful, strong branch structure which frames the water views from the Villa's upstairs suites.
What a wonderful place for my mid-winter respite! I could hardly tear myself away from the penthouse spa area; distant views of the Olympic Peninsula, a warm fire, and a window seat perfect for curling up with a book. Why leave? I did get out, however, because the walking, jogging and exploring in the old neighborhoods is always fun, and the downtown is so accessible-- and, as always, I enjoyed delicious, thoughtfully prepared food both at the Villa and in town. The host, Liam, has great suggestions for all outings and dinings!
If you can get away this winter, I would highly recommend the Villa Marco Polo as the perfect spot.

• Liked — Location, ambience, Inn keepers
  • Disliked — too short of a stay
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled solo
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
  • Polish first
Portland, OR
Reviewed 10 November 2008

My husband and I spent part of our honeymoon here and our stay was more than I ever could imagined. We felt so welcomed and pampered. The room was beautiful and had fresh flowers that smelled wonderful. The breakfast each morning was quite an event and some of the best food I've ever had; they were even able to accommodate my gluten free needs. The villa and grounds are amazing; it is located outside of the downtown area in a nice residential neighborhood.

• Liked — Friendliness
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
Fremont, CA
Reviewed 25 September 2008

Villa Marco Polo was, hands down, the most wonderful place we've ever stayed. Every detail was perfect, from our lovely room (the Zanzibar) with it's sumptuous bed, warm fireplace and a bathroom that made me feel like I'd stepped into a Victorian drawing room to the beautiful common areas and lovely garden. The library was warm and cozy and had the most comfortable couch I've ever sat on. The living room, with it's crackling fire and soft lighting, was just as inviting. The breakfasts were delicious, my favorite being the salmon and avocado benedict. Liam, our host, was helpful and kind. When we'd get back from a day of sightseeing, we'd come in to soft lighting, music and homemade cookies and tea waiting for us in the living room. It was beyond luxurious. Two days definitely wasn't enough so we'll be back soon.

• Liked — Our room, the library, the breakfasts, the neighborhood
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
Philadelphia
Reviewed 11 September 2008

My husband and I spent two nights at the beautiful and luxurious Villa Marco Polo Inn. Eliza and Liam were gracious, welcoming and thoroughly remarkable hosts. We were greeted with delicious tea and cookies in the magnificent livingroom, and felt immediately spoiled!
We stayed in the Alexandria Room, and were pampered like royalty. Our room, like the entire inn, was magnificently decorated. There was great attention to detail. Lovely fresh flowers adorned our room as well as other rooms throughout the villa. The outside gardens were as impeccably designed as the interior of the inn.
During our stay, Liam arranged dinner reservations, and helped us with any questions we had about our plans in Victoria. He even drove us to our whale watching excursion early in the morning! Consideration was given to our likes and dislikes to accommodate our breakfast choices. Eliza prepared the most elegant, creative and delicious breakfasts! They were a visual and culinary treat. The breakfast room was elegant and cozy, with lots of light.
We were spoiled with sherry in the evening, as well as decadent chocolates placed elegantly on our turned down bed. We had a refrigerator with cold drinks and a computer in the library at our disposal.
Eliza and Liam were fantastic hosts, who readily extended their friendship and hospitality to us. We had difficulty leaving the beautiful inn and our warm hosts.

• Liked — Magnificent inn, fantastic hosts
  • Disliked — Leaving
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
Halifax, NS
Reviewed 9 August 2008

I recently had the chance to stay at the Villa Marco Polo for my Brother's wedding and I couldn't have ask for anything better. Never before have I stayed somewhere so welcoming and friendly. The people and the place itself made this special event perfect!

I hope I have the chance to return to this wonderful place often. The food, the service, and the rooms are some of the best I have ever had the pleasure to enjoy!

• Liked — The home and the service were wonderful. They were so friendly and accommodating.
  • Disliked — The inn keeper - he truly new what good service and great hospitality meant. I felt like I was staying with a friend.
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
Connecticut
Reviewed 2 August 2008

My husband and I had an enjoyable stay at the Villa Marco Polo. Our room was absolutely gorgeous, although it was unfortunately not cleaned at all during our 3-day stay, which is not what I would expect from a room that costs $325/night.
The breakfasts were good, but not great. We had one great breakfast out of the three, but found the others mediocre, and pretentious --- somewhat tasty, but suspiciously similar to the Barefoot Contessa line, and minimal in size.
The grounds are beautiful and provide for a very relaxing afternoon of reading. Liam is very kind and accommodating, happy to offer any suggestions as well as to make restaurant reservations for you in advance.
The bottom line is that it is a very nice b&b, but not worthy of its price point. If you are looking for value, there are many fantastic b&b's in the Victoria area that offer a greater value.

• Liked — decor
  • Disliked — our room was never cleaned, no printer
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
6 Thank traveler0406
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 24 June 2008

Spacious, beautifully decorated themed rooms are featured at the Marco Polo Villa, a former mansion. Each room has a king-size bed, an airy , light sitting area, and its own bathroom with shower and spa tub with heated tile floors!

Service was excellent, and the rooms spotlessly clean. Our sumptuous three-course breakfast was beautifully prepared and served in the sunken indoor garden-view dining area.

The Villa is a scenic 25-minute walk through one the more upscale neighbourboods of Victoria to its downtown, or just a 10-minute drive. We enjoyed a short jaunt and visit to the very nearby tourist attractions: the Victoria Art Gallery and the famed Craigderroch Castle as well as working off breakfast with a brisk walk to the many attractions in downtown Victoria.

We also indulged in his and her massages in the Villa's newly renovated attic spa area. The high setting of the spa afforded us a lovely view of Juan de Fuca Strait to the towering mountains of the Olympic Peninsula. The Villa's expansive gardens are a wonderful place to relax and have a cool drink on a hot summer day especially after a long return walk to the downtown!

We had a splendid stay at this lovely B&B and strongly recommend it for a luxurious and restful visit to Victoria.

• Liked — Quiet luxury
  • Disliked — Nothing