“Enjoyable stay, Except for a few things....”

The Parkside Hotel & Spa
Ranked #11 of 49 Hotels in Victoria
GreenLeadersGold level
Nanaimo, Canada
“Enjoyable stay, Except for a few things....”
Reviewed 26 April 2011

I recently stayed at the hotel for a week with my family.
First off, the hotel is clean and well maintained. The rooms are great for long term stays.
I used the weight room and pool often during my stay and really enjoyed it. The complimentary movie theatre was a nice feature that our family enjoyed as well.
A few things i have issues with:

-The master bedroom doesn't have a door separating the sleeping area from the washroom. Unfortunately for us, we like privacy when we have a bowel movement. Even during the night when we have to relieve ourselves our bedroom-washroom is rendered useless.

- The washrooms do not have fans. Not that big of a deal, but its nice to have a fan to drown out the noise being made in the washroom as well as get rid of the stink created during/after you are done your business. Since the kitchen is located immediately outside of the common washroom, it makes you want to refrain from relieving yourself while people are around that area.

- The under ground parking is a nice feature for the hotel. Unfortunately, it is $15/day +hst extra for a parking stall. Kind of annoying when guests at a hotel have to pay for parking, and according to the front desk employee, the staff even has to pay for parking.

- While on the parking note, the second group of people that came with us had an oversized vehicle. (Too large for the underground parking). When asked what we should do about it, we were directed to a parking-lot that was located 4 blocks away.
That wasn't so much a problem, the problem was the fact that we could only purchase 12 hours of parking in advance from the time you purchase the ticket. So if you decided to update your parking after dinner (about 7pm), you would have to ensure you are there to update it again at 7am. It wasn't until a few days later that we found out from the front desk that we could purchase 2 X 12 hour tickets and be good for 24 hours.

- Lastly, The second last night we were at the hotel, we had a large issue with the staff.
After a nice evening swim, about 10-15 minutes before the facility closed we had an incident that left a foul taste in our mouth.
A teenage girl who is part of our family was showering off in the change room after her swim, while a mid twenty year old male entered and began folding/replacing towels in the change room. When asked "why the hell don't you close the washroom off while YOU are in the female change room/ ask if anyone is in the change room / wait until the pool is closed to do the damn towel folding" he responded " I do what i'm told" or something similar to those words. This response wasn't to our liking. The under age female was already in the shower when the discovery of the man was made. Fortunately the other family members who entered the washroom shortly after were the ones to confront the male. Upon speaking with night staff supervisor, we were informed that the towel boy had to complete his job before his shift ended (i guess at 10pm). The supervisor wasn't very welcoming of the criticism to say the least. He was extremely arrogant and dismissive of our complaint. For no reason at all should a male be inside the females change room during operating hours without any warning. Since this response wasn't to our liking as well, we were told that the supervisor would contact management the following day to get back to us. Nothing progressed from that.

All in all, we had an enjoyable stay. A few things could be done to make the experience more appealing.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank shimanous
aviawest_management, Manager at The Parkside Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 5 May 2011
Dear Shimanous,

I am pleased to hear that you and your family enjoyed Parkside and its amenities. I'd like to take a moment to address your feedback.

All suite washrooms feature an air circulation system, which runs permanently. This system is designed to reduce the noise of traditional fans, which are often very loud. Indeed, there are pros and cons to using a fan with a lower volume.

Parkside charges $15 for parking, as do all hotels in Victoria's downtown. However, we've tried to keep the cost of parking reasonable. The $15 is lower than most hotel parking fees, some of which reach $30 per night.

We are extremely embarrassed about the change room episode. I have addressed this with the executive housekeeper, as this should never happen. I have also addressed this with our supervisor to ensure it never happens again.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (276)
  • Korean first
Surrey, BC
Reviewed 25 April 2011

We arrived well before noon hoping to park ($15/night extra) and walk around for a while. Our room was not ready, as expected, but the staff went over and above their duty and arranged to call us when our room was ready. Once we got in, We were impressed with the amenities and layout All rooms are are suites, and ours had a king bedroom and a sofa bed with a TV and fireplace near each. It was perfect for our 4-person family, way better than a typical hotel room. The hotel is 2 blocks from the Royal BC museum and a short walk to many restaurants on Broughton and Fort streets.

The lobby of the hotel/condo xomplex is unique, with a stream running through it. All of the staff were great to us. In particular Nathan at the front desk spent 10-
15 minutes with us talking about
restaurants, making phone calls for
us, and given area tips.

We will look here first next time we visit Victoria.

• Stayed April 2011
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 20 April 2011

These guys need to rethink the concept of GREEN. I wanted stay at the hotel and use my bike as transporation and there idea of keeping my bike safe was to lock it in a room where EVERY hotel guest had access to it. NOT impressed

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank mickeyfromvancouver
aviawest_management, Manager at The Parkside Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 21 April 2011
Thank you for your feedback, Mickey.

Our bicycle storage facility is keycard access only and contains bike racks, which guests are encouraged to use to further secure their bikes with their locks. Of course, guests travelling with their bikes may forget to bring a secure lock. Based on your feedback, we are looking into having locks available at Front Desk for these instances.
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 15 April 2011

From the moment we arrived we were in Heaven and the Staff were certainly Angels! As we were celebrating our 13 th Anniversary, the Staff took it upon themselves to Surprise us with a Complimentary Bottle of Red Wine with a Card of Congratulations and a Flower around the neck of the bottle. It was exquisite and we were very grateful for their thoughtfulness. The Parkside Victoria Resort and Spa is perfectly located near the Attractions and fantastic Treks along the water's edge. The Ozonated Pool and Hot Tub coupled with the Resort's in house Theatre we're an Epic ending to each day. Hat's off to Exemplary Customer Service Team an Resort Suites that were spotless and all inclusive - we'll definitely be back!

~ Jay & Shelley

Room Tip: The 6th Floor in Building A has Fantastic Views!
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 10 April 2011

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay. I read the other comments and must agree with most of the "funny" things in nthe hotel. But, over-all Man, what a pleasure to stay at.

The wonderful things I liked:
* HUGE 25 metre pool,
* Well stocked fitness,
* A hotel that takes an interest in the environment "LEED"
* 2 electric fire-places to make you feel cozy and warm
* 2 nice sized closets
* Love the way they always had LOTS of towels. Maybe 11??? They roll and store them in the bathroom, and artistically put out others. I Love towels, And, usually at a hotel, I'm ringing for more. But, here it was heaven. And, they had places to hang them so you don't have to send them to the laundry every day. Most hotels say "put them in the bath if you want a new one" - but, I find that if you are a few people, there isn't enough hanging spots. So, the towels get mixed up and you just put them in the laundry. Here, there are quite a few towel racks and other places to actually hang your towel.
* All the furnishing, kitchen equipment were like new and really quite luxurious
Sitting down at the 6 person table, opening my stainless steel fridge, cooking in the beatiful oven or on the stove, watching my 42' TV, beautiful hardwood or tile floors (different sections)
* Location... 10 minuts walk to Beacon Hill Park, 10 minutes to Warf street and Government Street and all the wonderful dining and other experiences there.
* Loved the water-fall and landscaping. It was just very relaxing.

It was a pleasure to come "home" to.

There were some small frustrations that I specifically agree with - so, if these are deal breakers for you, find another hotel.
* There is noise from the adjoining rooms. But, in the 8 weeks, there was only 1 day that there was a family next door with a crying baby that bothered me - And, you couldn't hear it in the bedroom (just the living room... which has the pull-out couch).
* The kitchen is well equiped. But, there is no space for personal items that you buy. The counter was large enough. I just put stuff there.
* It is weird that the "ensuite" bathroom doesn't have a door and only has a soaker tub. If you are staying with a partner, you can't really use the ensuite in the middle of the night. Putting the lights on would wake them.. aNd, of course, the flush .... So, really, it is just a 1 bathroom place with another interesting fixture in the bedroom!!! the 2nd toilet does come in handy after a hearty meal :-).
* The washer / dryer does take some time. And, is small. But, I got into a routine of 1 "light", 1 "dark" alternating days and it worked OK.
* The stainless steel fridge has the best insulation seel I have ever seen and is sometimes impossible to open. I used to put a small coin or a paper-towel in the door so that it wouldn't seal completely.
* No air conditioning. But, is constructed to allow for breezes in the room. I'm not sure how this will be in the summer. It was OK in the spring except when it was really windy- and then was really noisy from the breeze. To me, that was kind-of fun. To others???
* Only a small cafe in the hotel and it isn't open for dinner all the time.
* SPA was very nice - but, only open during businenss hours.

Oh, and on a final note, the staff is GREAT. They are always smiling and try their best (usually successfully) to be as helpful as possible.

Thanks Parkside. I loved my stay. Special commendations to Joseph, Ben, and Nathan.

Oh, and my favourite rooms? The B Tower, Room 203, 303, 403, 503.

It is a "smaller" unit and as such does not have a toilet (only the soaker tub) in the ensuite. Interestingly, though, they then connect the "ensuite" to the other bathroom and have a sliding door in between. i.e. 2 doors into the bathroom.. 1 from the bedroom, and 1 from the living room. So, this is great. You can get to the bathroom privately from teh master bedroom and the living room. And, you have a door for privacy from the master bedroom. It is also a corner lot and has a slightly larger balcony. And, I love the view of St. Anne's Academy.

Room Tip: The B tower, Room 203, 303, 403, 503...
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank PHWT
Reviewed 1 April 2011

I booked this hotel in a roulette, so didn't know until after I had paid where I was staying. What a great surprise. This place is great. The rooms are huge and nice. The kitchen is a bonus. The location is excellent.

• Stayed March 2011
Banff, Canada
Reviewed 1 April 2011

This was a nice, new place...we actually got a deal -2 nights for less than 80bucks altogether...so that being said, it was a sweet deal! Nice, clean, new rooms; big tvs; decent pool & hot tub; private movie theatre; decent locations - walked to many places; There were a few cons: I did not like having to pay 15$ a night for parking and there were no other options...also,like someone else said, the washer/dryer is one machine & it SUCKS! It took over 5 hours to wash/dry a small load with probably only like 10 items...you also can not open the dryer right away - you physically can't open it until about 15 minutes after it stops, which was a pain in the butt; The rooms have a connecting door (to another suite - which is of course locked) but the sound was awful...very noisy. Also you have to buy laundry soap - it wasn't expensive but it was a 1st for us, usually resorts/condos like that supply it.
Anyway overall, it was good. I wouldn't stay here again if it cost a ton of money. We got such a good deal so if I got that again, I'd stay or if we could use our points timeshare I would stay again.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple