“Great stay”

The Parkside Hotel & Spa
Ranked #12 of 49 Hotels in Victoria
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 17 December 2012

We really had a great time at the Parkside, staff were all really nice, it was great to have everything you needed in the room(s) and not need to go out all the time. Lovely hotel and within walking distance to all the main sites of Victoria!

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Carajom

Reviewed 12 December 2012

My wife and I stayed at this hotel in October 2011 for our anniversary. Very nice facility with great view of the Inner Harbour. We got a package that included a discount at their cafe which we used for a late night snack. Other than the overnight stay we did not use any of the other facilities. Very impressive lobby and atrium.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 December 2012

What's that song lyric ... "She ain't pretty, she just looks that way...."

I've stayed at the Parkside numerous times for business; both long stays and short. I have to agree with a lot of the reviewers here who describe the hotel as a bit deceiving. I keep trying to give it a chance but I'm done trying now.

At first glance, the hotel looks stunning. The beautiful atrium, gardens, coy pond and decor are beautiful to behold. The rooms themselves appear stunning until you look closely - they're not always that clean. Upon check-in one time when I brought my family, my daughter noticed a used condom in the garbage. I phoned the front desk immediately and they sent some one up to take care of it. I would have thought that they would have offered a room upgrade or something like that as this was a horrid thing to find. If you stay in the tower closest to the front desk, you have to trapse through the lobby and across the atrium to get to the pool or the movie theatre so make sure to stay in the other tower. The elevator labelling in the parking garage is poor and I found myself in a staff area and wasn't sure how to get out.

I like the pool, the movie theatre and the beds are comfortable but the hotel lacks personality. It's just "blah" The soaker tubs are fabulous but what is missing with them is a place to house your toiletries to use while in the bath (shampoo, conditioner, etc.) I turned over the garbage can and used it as a make shift table. I also had issues with the combo washer/dryer ... I never did get my clothes to dry and finally gave up after 3 hours of running the dryer which just seemed to be like the washer cycle sans water. I hung my wet clothes up around the hotel to try to air dry them.

The Chateau Victoria is the place for me - make it for you too.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank rabgal
Reviewed 7 December 2012

Unfortunately I was only able to stay one night and I arrived in the evening so I wasn't able to utilize all that the Parkside had to offer but what I saw (and utilized) were excellent. The Parkside is located within easy walking distance to the harbour, shops and lots of restaurants.

Our single room suite was a nice size and very well appointed - you would have no problem staying for multiple nights. The kitchen is fully stocked - Full size fridge, coffee maker, toaster, 2 burner stove, washer-dryer combo etc. There is a nice sized round table that seats 4.

The couch and chair were very comfortable. There are 2 remote controlled fireplaces and 2 large flat screen tv's. The Bed is nice and big and very comfortable. Nice sized closet in the bedroom. The bathroom is nice and the floor is heated. Couldn't figure out how to work the a/c so we slept with the balcony door open which was no big deal.

The pool and hot tube looked very nice although we didn't get to try them. There was a listing of nightly movies they show in, I think a theater although we didn't check it out. They offer a Bike lockup area which could be very handy if you are touring around.

We booked our room thru Hotwire for $78 + tax & fees...an excellent deal.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Tommy-1955
Reviewed 3 December 2012

Parkside is a new, well appointed hotel. The pool & fitness centre was great for our kids. You do get to walk through the lobby to find it. The staff was not very helpful and when they didn't know the answer to a question regarding the hotel amenities they told you so and did not try to figure anything out. Based on service, I would highly recommend staying at the Hotel Grand Pacific. It's on the water, a little dated, but clean and the staff is phenomenal.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Gerda183462
Reviewed 2 December 2012

We echo comments made by couple others made this week. When you walk in the atrium or lobby very impressive! The atrium has acutal plants in it that used to be in the Crystal Gardens. The lobby has very impressive fireplace. Staff wasn't very friendly checking in - very stiff and not personable at all. Then when we walked into our suite - at first - very impressive - marble counter tops - kitchen - nice soaking tub in the bathroom. --- But - floors were filthy; bathroom mirror wasn't clean. My wife took paper towel down in morning that was black with floor dirt to show front desk. They said they would have cleaned. Came back after maid service - floor still dirty - complained again (no apologies from front desk). This time they mopped slightly - but still some dirt when you would wipe with wet paper towel. One of the fireplaces didn't work. The computer in their office center didn't work. The hot tub in the swim center only had one jet that worked. The little things like take away from the first impression of it being a great resort.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank love2dine50
Reviewed 1 December 2012

My husband and I stayed for one night in November. The building was impressive, especially the lobby. Our suite was nice, especially the heated bathroom floor. So, what's wrong? The atmosphere is terrible! The staff is professional, cold, and void of any 'spark' or personality. One gets the impression the code of conduct mandate given them is so rigid that any attempt at individuality or independent thinking is quashed, with a just-as-rigid system of demerits implemented to discourage such behaviour; again, that's just an impression, but this corportion could save money by setting up automated check-in kiosks in the lobby and eliminating all but cleaning and administrative staff. The attitude pervades the 'resort' - we travel a great deal and are used to at least a polite exchange of niceties when encountering other guests in hallways, elevators, etc. The other guests at this place were, without exception, miserable!
The decor ranges from dull to dark, unless glass or brushed aluminum has been installed to break up the slabs of cheap wood, covered with cheap paint. Our two fireplaces were heaters with a vista of flickering flames projected on a screen - okay, it's safer than unpredictable guests really burning stuff in their rooms, and these things even had remote controls so we could play with the intensity of the fake fire, but they just seemed to encapsulate the vibe of the whole place - an amusing attempt at making folks feel like they're into something really exclusive and special, like a double mocha latte with an add-on flavour shot from Tim Hortons. At least we had two flat screen t.v.'s in the suite so we could completely shut our brains down, while eating in the kitchenette, lounging on the couch, or languishing in bed. What else could we want?
There's a 'restaurant/lounge/coffee bar' just off the lobby. In short, don't do it. Your stay here will be bad enough by the time you even think of setting foot in the place.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business