“No better place for extended stay in Victoria”

Capital City Center Hotel
Ranked #30 of 49 Hotels in Victoria
Reviewed 7 November 2013

I have to spend extended periods working in Victoria BC and hate hotels. But I needed a place and booked into this establishment which is located just north of China Town out of the busiest part of the centre from walking distance to all. I have a huge room with new beds, a very large bathroom and shower, and a small kitchenette. They are just completing extensive renovations. The hotel has a small restaurant with above average but inexpensive meals and an intimate bar. There is a fine outdoor pool that closed in October. Parking is ample and free and monitored so secure.
The best part though is the very resourceful and friendly staff. There is a 24 hour presence at the desk and everyone who works there seems to know what is going on. They are helpful and friendly. I have probably stayed here a total of more than 100 nights in the last two years and have never been disappointed.
I highly recommend the hotel as a good value for a comfortable stay.

Room Tip: I prefer the rooms on Discovery because of the lighting and they are quieter. I also like the 4th fl...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank DrBWG

Reviewed 27 September 2013

I'm loath to call this place 'hotel' as it is more like a bad hostel than has seen better days. This is an awful place. It's dated, dark, cold and very tired. Although some improvements have been made to improve the appearance of the hotel, they are largely cosmetic and, as one critic posted, 'nothing more than lipstick on a pig'. The area around the hotel is not safe as there is a large population of drug users, people with mental illness and homelessness. Parking is free but you run a risk parking in the provided spaces across the street as it is very dark and secluded. Cars have been both damaged and broken into in the hotel's free lot as there is no security nor anyone looking after the lot. The internet connection is very poor and the signal often drops for no reason. The staff that I had interactions with were decent enough people with some consideration for the needs of guests but there were certainty no superstars. The fact is that the hotel needs to be stripped down to the studs and re-built as a boutique property in order to be a viable enterprise. The very little cosmetic changes that were made do nothing to the overall image of the property which is very tired and run down. Save you money and find a better place to stay while in downtown Victoria.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank Bmcarthur
Reviewed 9 September 2013

Long story short we had a problem with overbooking our room and we spoke to 3 separate staff members (including the manager of the hotel) regarding this issue. We were told three different things by three different staff regarding solving this one issue.
When we finally contacted the manager of the hotel he yelled at my fiance and was so rude and unhelpful. Because of this issue, the poor management and lack of training of the staff; this hotel ripped us off of over $100.00.

Room Tip: Avoid booking this hotel
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank kilikina30
Tamara T, General Manager at Capital City Center Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 September 2013

Thank you for your review. However I am not sure you have the right hotel. I am the General Manger of the Capital City Center Hotel, and I am not male: nor have I had any situations with over booking since my appointment as manager May 1st, 2013. I would like to invite you to call me and supply more details so I can have the opportunity to tackle any problems with guest services. I can assure you that the staff are hardworking, dedicated and take great pride in their personal interaction with all hotel patrons. Tamara, GM

Reviewed 30 August 2013

After we had read several reviews on Tripadvisor we were not sure if we wanted to stay in this hotel so when we arrived we asked to look at the rooms before we checked in.
We were four people and one dog so we booked two rooms.
The parking was close to the hotel and it was free of charge.
The rooms were very good, renovated and clean. It was a kitchen in the room so you could make all your food in the room. The breakfast was not included in the price so we had breakfast outside the hotel and just 5 min walk from the hotel you can find several good places to have breakfast. The staff was very helpful and gave us a lot of information about the city.
The view from the room was not really nice, but we were there only one night for sleep so it was not important for us. We could hear people outside the room when they came home late in the night but we did not hear any noise from outside the hotel. Ask for a quiet room.
The hotel was fully booked when we were there but still we got a quiet room.
This is not a luxury hotel, but easy to find when arriving Victoria and only 10 minutes to walk to down town. We walked home late in the evening and we found the way back safe and had no problem with any homeless people as written in some other reviews. We will recommend this hotel if you are looking for an average hotel with good price deals.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank KjetilandJohn
Reviewed 17 August 2013

Came to Victoria for my mother in laws funeral. It was difficult to find a hotel when we booked as it was last minute. When I called to book the guy I spoke to was very friendly and the price was reasonable. When we got here I realized that the area is very seedy. We would often see homeless people around the front of the hotel and people smoking pot outside the front of the hotel. Didn't feel very safe at night and I'm not a scardy cat or a princess. The hotel has tried to renovate - but it's more like putting lipstick on a pig. The beds are comfortable and clean but the bathroom is old commercial ceiling tiles that are stained and broken. There is no fan in the bathroom either. Our room was on the main level with a sliding patio door but there is no screen so you can't open it to let in fresh air either and don't look for a view as there is a 10 foot fence made of solid metal sheets but I would rather have that due to the area the hotel is in. The first night there the room was muggy and hot. The only fan switch on the wall said "heat only control" so we figured that there is no a/c. I went down to the front desk to inquire about the a/c and lack of screen in the door. About the screen I was told "I guess it's missing" - ya no kidding that's why I'm asking and as for the heat switch it is the switch for the a/c in summer. But the tone from the front desk was very rude. The first morning we woke up early and all you could smell in our room was greasy bacon and whatever was being cooked at the little restaurant in the hotel. For some this might sound great but it was so thick that my husband and I joked that the a/c fan in our room must be directly connected to the hood fan in the kitchen. As for a previous comment about the location of the pool - its correct you would be swimmimg in clear view of everyone in the bar and restaurant. Not really comfortable with that. I tried calling other hotels to switch but there is no availability due to the Dragon boat festival. The pictures online are deceiving and are not true to what the hotel is actually like. I have to say that we would not stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2013
2  Thank Klspring
Tamara T, General Manager at Capital City Center Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2013

We appreciate all feedback both positive and negative to help us in our efforts to improve on the quality of all our guests stays. The management and staff of the Capital City Center Hotel would like to offer you and yours our deepest condolences.

Reviewed 13 August 2013

Long story short. This is the second time I tried to outsmart Expedia by booking the 40% of deal. There were only two places listed with 2.5 stars and a pool. This wasn't one of them and surprise I was booked here. Turned out ok. The parking was across the street, no problem. The staff was great. The room was nice and clean and beds great. There was some staining of the ceiling of the shower. The rates were great. The pool is a joke though and its in front of the beer hall for all the old bar flies in Victoria. This never bother us and our room was just above. We had money left over to enjoy Victoria. I would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: The kitchenettes haven't been remodeled and are very cheap.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank rndm
Reviewed 8 August 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights because the price was right. It's being renovated, which it's in desperate need of! Rooms were nice and beds comfy. Bathtub/shower was very dated I was not impressed with the location right on the main road, very noisy. Walking the area during day was fine but felt a little shady at night. Pool was nice, not small kid friendly.

• Stayed: August 2013