“Perfect price, location, and facilities!”

Ocean Island Inn / Backpackers / Suites
Reviewed 11 July 2013

My girlfriend and I stayed in one of the private rooms with an en-suite for a night. At $92, I thought it was a good price considering the room we had. The inn had everything we needed, including very secure storage so we could leave our bags before we checked-in (we arrived early) and after we checked-out. As we had one of the private rooms with an en-suite, we had complementary towels, soap and shampoo, otherwise I think you have to pay/put down a deposit for these things.

The staff were very friendly and helpful, and the whole place had a great atmosphere about it. It's a shame we didn't get to experience the bar and night life there, but we only had one night in Victoria so wanted to explore the city itself.

I'd highly recommend this place. It's a great location as well, not too far from the harbour (10 mins walk roughly), and there's bus stops just around the corner where you get a bus to Swartz Bay if you're needing to get the ferry back to the mainland.

Room Tip: Paying extra for the en-suite was worth it.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 6 July 2013

We stayed at Ocean Island after a very impromptu side trip from Vancouver - not realizing how expensive it can be on the island, plan ahead is our recommendation! After looking at a few hotels who were asking upwards of $130 we were pointed in the direction of this fun colourful inn/backpackers. We were a tad apprehensive about staying at a backpackers, it has been a long while since bunk hopping and shared bathrooms but with only 1 night on the island and limited budget we didn't have much to lose.

I don't think we could have been more surprised! The location is fantastic with most shops and bars within arms reach and the inner harbour just a few minutes away. We got a private room with two single beds, it worked out to be around $30 each which we thought was a pretty amazing deal considering other hotels. Our bathroom was shared but surprisingly clean - I think they have a few on each floor which probably explains it - to be honest, I was expecting a massive bathroom with 20 dirty stalls shared with the entire building so it was a nice surprise. The staff were great at giving us information and directions and we even wound up getting a few discounts by showing our room receipt around town (Kudos to the guy in the cafe who informed us of this, my purse strings could not be happier!). There were a couple of negatives but nothing bad enough to say it spoiled our trip; some street noise but that pretty much stopped after 10pm, towels are not provided (instead you have to pay a deposit) which was inconvenient given I only realized this mid face wash! - there are also no hand towels or dryers in washrooms so having your own towel or renting one is definitely crucial.

All in all, we had a great time here and would definitely recommend it - there's no mints on the pillows or inclusive breakfast but given the money we saved and fun we had, I have definitely changed my take on 'backpacking' and would even consider staying at another backpackers at some point in the future!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank o0needia0o
Reviewed 6 July 2013

We stay at Ocean Island often as a stop over before getting the ferry off/on Vancouver Island. The staff are always very friendly and helpful. Rooms and bathrooms are always clean. The location is great for walking around Vic. Also with such a busy backpackers you may expect some noise but we have never had any problems we highly recommend Ocean Island :)

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 July 2013

My time at ocean island was a very enjoyable one - a friendly and welcoming staff along with a great bar and lounge. The front desk offers great food and the staff were happy to help day or night.

The kitchen and bathroom facilities were always clean and tidy. City, beach and park tours are offered free six days a week.

I would happily stay here again!

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed 3 July 2013

We were able to find this hostel last minute on a long weekend and still get a private room for my husband and our baby. Our room was right near the street but the noise wasn't bothersome. If it was, the front desk provides free earplugs. There are several rooms down each hall, about 5 or 6, and one bathroom to that set of rooms, though you can always use a different bathroom. We found the rooms very nice, the beds decent though a bit squeaky, and even a mini fridge in our room. We'd happily stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 July 2013

As far as the backpacker style of traveling goes, Ocean Island has the vibe down to a T. We managed to get a Mini Double Room, which was even smaller than the photos show - our bed was literally wall to wall, with a mini-fridge and a window that let in way too much sound in the morning. The mattress was thin and made of something that threw my friend's back out (at the ripe old age of 29). Bathrooms were clean. On the second night, we found accommodation about a 10-minute stroll from the downtown core at James Bay Inn for just a little more money than we were paying. It was no hassle to checkout earlier than expected. The neighbourhood was much quieter, beds comfier, and a 24-hour grocery store just a couple of minutes away. Seeing as Victoria isn't exactly a sprawling city, we switched immediately and still got around on foot very easily to all the places we wanted to go.

If you'll be spending most of your time out of your accommodation (ie not using the cute cafe/bar) and prefer a little more sleeping comfort at the expense of style, I'd say gloss over this hostel and go for something else. You'll get to see a little bit of residential Victoria on your walks to and back and get more out of the trip.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Ocean I, Manager at Ocean Island Inn / Backpackers / Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2013

Hello and thank you for your review.
We’re pleased to know that you enjoyed our style, atmosphere, cleanliness, bathrooms, cafe lounge and convenient early check-out policy at Ocean Island. It’s a shame you felt that our accommodation was not right for you and your friend. We pride ourselves on providing comfortable accommodation that suits all ages and budgets; our rooms vary from simple dorm beds to hotel-style rooms with ensuite bathrooms. Our rates are the lowest in central Victoria, and we feel that we offer excellent value for every type of room. Typically, our mini private rooms are held for individual travelers, and we do not recommend two individuals sharing them (perhaps all our larger rooms were already full.) It seems as though you and your friend would have been much more comfortable in a room typically held for two people. We want every guest to be comfortable, and if someone is not satisfied with the room they have chosen our front desk staff will happily assist them in finding a room that better suits their needs.

We have detailed and extensive information about each type of room online and at the front desk so that guests are able to choose a room that best suits them - we strive to accurately represent our rooms in the photos we display.

We use typical medium-firm mattresses - all of which are of a standard thickness. While no single type of mattress will be favoured by everyone, we have found that the mattresses we provide are preferred by the majority of our guests. We’re sorry if you felt your mattress was not comfortable enough.

We also have fully equipped apartment style suites located in James Bay, just a block from the James Bay Inn where you moved to. These tranquil and ideally located suites are the perfect alternative to downtown accommodation; as you mentioned, James Bay is the ideal spot - a few minutes’ walk from the grocery store, ocean beaches and Beacon Hill park, as well as an easy ten minute walk from the downtown core. If peace and relaxation is what you’re after, we’ve got you covered there too!

It’s good to hear that you enjoyed your visit to Victoria; we hope you come back and visit again sometime!
Safe travels,
Ocean Island.

Reviewed 30 June 2013

I stayed at Ocean Island for five days in June - I have to say, this place was really knows what it's doing. From the ambiance, to the friendly front desk staff, their bar and cafe, their prices, and their downtown location, all of it was great!

The front desk staff went above and beyond to help me with directions and travel information, since I don't know much about Vancouver Island, and really made me feel comfortable. My room was clean and airy and very colourful - it was big enough for one person, but they mentioned there's tons of different rooms and many for two or more people, too. I'd check out their website for all the room types, because there seems to be a lot to choose from.

The whole place has a great vibe. You can tell that everyone loves their job there, they're always smiling and chatting to the guests, which in my opinion made the place what it was. There always seems to be at least one or two people cleaning, and the place is incredibly clean. To top it off, it was super inexpensive - I couldn't believe how little I paid to stay for five days, especially compared to the rest of Victoria.

If I find myself in Victoria again, I know I'll stay at Ocean Island - I'd honestly recommend this place to anyone staying in Victoria.

Room Tip: ask about their different style rooms - they have a ton to choose from!
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo