“To tide”

Ocean Island Inn / Backpackers / Suites
Reviewed 12 December 2013

the dorms are to small for six people an their luggage's. No separate dining room for the hostel guest. Not working ovens. Not enough stuff for cooking or dining.
it is okay but not one more. The Hostel is central and near to the port. It is OK to stay there.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Ocean I, Manager at Ocean Island Inn / Backpackers / Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 22 December 2013

Hello,
Thank you for taking the time to review us.

Some of our dorm and private rooms are indeed very small, which is reflected in the very small price! They’re popular for travellers looking for the best price, but we have larger rooms too, for just a few dollars more. Should any guest be unsatisfied with the size of their room, our friendly front desk staff are around 24 hours a day to assist with anything, including room changes. However, thanks to your review, we’ve improved the storage in our smallest, least expensive dorms by moving the beds around to allow access to the cupboards and we’re planning to add some under the bed storage.

One of our two ovens wasn’t working for a few days when you visited. But it has now been fixed. Our kitchen offers 3 sinks, 2 ovens, 3 cooking ranges, 3 microwaves, and a very large fridge. Additionally, we ensure that this space is well equipped with dishes, cutlery, utensils, pots & pans, mixing bowls, can openers, ladles and everything else in between (we even have a milkshake maker!) - While it’s safe to say our kitchen is kept well equipped, we’ll be sure to keep an eye out for any missing items in our next inventory.

We have a dinning room available for our guests that can seat approximately 25 people, as well as other seating for up to 18 more. We feel that this is ample space, and the only time it can be a bit crowded is at peak dinner times in July and August.

Thank you again for your review - we hope you took advantage of our central downtown location to explore the beautiful city of Victoria! Safe travels,

Reviewed 30 November 2013

I stayed for 11 days with some friends in one of the 6 bed dorm rooms while up visiting other friends in Victoria. Thankfully we knew everyone in the room so we didn't have to worry too much about locking valuable items up. If you ARE in a dorm room with people you don't know, plenty of lockers are provided for you to have storage for valuables. Be sure to bring a lock with you just in case! The room also had a nice kitchen-ish area (no stove... there is one down past the bar however) with a full sized fridge which was great for storing food and drinks in room. The bunk beds we not bad at all to sleep on and the linens provided were good too. The room I had was overlooking the intersection of Pandora and Blanshard and we slept with the window cracked due to the room's heat being constantly on as well as to get some air circulation. During the day you will get noise from the street if your room is facing it, but its not too bad.

If you're looking for a place that is inexpensive while visiting Victoria, I highly recommend it. All of the staff is super friendly and the bar downstairs has some excellent local brews. Laundry facilities on site were super easy to use though you will need to buy tokens from the front counter to use the machines.

If you're looking to explore the downtown area, Ocean Island is only a two to three block walk away from the heart of the downtown area. Plenty of bars and breweries serving up delicious local brews if you feel like venturing beyond the bar in the downstairs of the Inn are only a few blocks away. Any thing you could need too can be found in stores in a few block radius of the Inn if you had forgotten something. Like I mentioned before, if you're looking for affordable accommodations in the downtown Victoria area, you can't go wrong with Ocean Island Inn at all!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 October 2013

We stayed in a private room, which was very nice! We had a desk and a fridge, so the room wasn't that small.

The bar is really nice, especially the live music. We also tried some food, which was very good.

The location was okay and the price too! The people were very friendly and helped us with everything we needed.

they offer great food and cheap breakfast and the tofino bus picked us up directly in front of the hostel!

we liked it very much and would stay there again!

Room Tip: we had a room with kind of a bunk bed, but with a double bed on the lower one, but only payed for no...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Ocean I, Manager at Ocean Island Inn / Backpackers / Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 21 January 2014

Thank you so much for your thorough and positive review!
We’re pleased to hear that you enjoyed your visit to Ocean Island so much - we especially like that you mentioned our fun Cafe Lounge, tasty fusion-style food, ideal downtown location, fair prices, and friendly staff members! We look forward to you staying with us in the future! Kind regards, Ocean Island.

Reviewed 7 October 2013

We stayed two nights in a doubleroom at Ocean Island. The location is great, close to everything, the people at the reception really friendly and helpful and the place was really clean. They have a bar with livemusic but the music stopps at 11 so its quiet at night Good place to meet people.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Elisabeth R
Ocean I, Manager at Ocean Island Inn / Backpackers / Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 18 October 2013

Hello there,
We couldn’t be more pleased to hear that you enjoyed your experience at Ocean Island. We’re glad you enjoyed our downtown location, friendly reception, clean facilities, and our live entertainment! All of our staff here work hard to provide a comfortable home-away-from-home for our guests and it’s always appreciated to hear positive feedback such as yours!
We’re glad you took advantage of our cafe lounge - we agree, it’s a great place to meet new people. If you ever find yourself in the beautiful city of Victoria once more we’d love to have you stop in again!
Safe and happy travels,
Ocean Island

Reviewed 7 October 2013

I have went there just about every time I have visited Victoria. It's the best bang for your buck you can find in the Victoria area. Why bother wasting money with over priced hotels when you can come here and still get a good night's sleep.

The rooms were clean, WiFi was good, the desk was helpful and nice, the design of the place was cool, the cafe on the first floor had good food and drink.

Only problems I had were the noise level, the closer you are to the windows the more noise you will pick up from the outside, the noise level inside the hostel is usually decent as most people are respectful but being a old building any other travellers who are noisy bunch, you will hear them.

Last problem I think was the heating but then I wasn't all that prepared for hosteling before going here, but again closer you are to the window areas the closer chance you have of picking of the night air which can be chilly at times. Other than that no problems.

Bottom line this is the only place I go to when staying in Victoria, great atmosphere, great price, outside of a few minor quips this is the best place to go to if you want to stay in Victoria because it is located in the heart of downtown Victoria, from here you can easily walk to any destination downtown.

Room Tip: Try any find one away from the window, unless you want a cool breeze at night. If no choice try to p...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank metalwolf8

Hi there and thank you so much for your thorough review!
It truly is a pleasure to hear when a guest such as yourself enjoys staying with us so much! We appreciate your continued visits and the time you took to reflect on your experiences here. Our staff are always working hard to provide a home away from home to all of our guests, and it sounds as though we’ve provided just that for you - from our clean facilities, to our helpful and friendly front desk, our inviting decor and reliable wifi, and even our tasty in-house meals from our cafe!
We’re glad you mentioned your experiences with noise as well - Street noise is a problem faced by downtown accommodation in any city; however, it is important for us to ensure our guests get a good night's sleep. Despite our being located in an historic building, our noise insulation exceeds the required standards. But like anywhere, noisy guests can cause a disturbance, which we are happy to deal with if we notice it on our rounds or if a guest lets us know. If you are a very light sleeper, please let us know in advance and we can book you a room further from the street, either to a higher floor or towards the back of the building.
Our heating system is adjustable in each room, so guests can choose a temperature that’s right for them. If you’re still too hot, or too cold, we can always give you an extra fan or an extra blanket!
Again, it really is a pleasure to know that we provide comfortable, reliable and fun accommodation to you whenever you visit the beautiful city of Victoria. We’re looking forward to your next visit!

Stay beautiful,

Reviewed 4 October 2013

I found the Inn to be excellent value for money. I only stayed two nights but would stay here if I was on the Island again.

I got the bus from the ferry, got off outside the city hall (just look out for the big clock!) & walked a block to the hostel.... Which is only a few blocks from the Inner Harbour, so the location and accessibility is excellent.

I paid for a budget private room but was surprised by the room I got. It was enough space for what I needed, and even have a sky light which was unexpected, so it didn't feel like the 'box' I was expecting. The bathrooms were close by, I never had to wait and they were never dirty.

I'd recommend this hostel for those reasons alone to anyone. Sure there are big groups staying there & I suppose it could get noisy, but I never experienced that, and I think you can request to move rooms if they're available if you're not satisfied.

The only problem I did endure was minor.... Although the majority of staff I encountered were lovely (it was mostly the same four people!) I did have a problem with the curly haired boy on reception.

On the Saturday morning I was in line behind three people. To be fair he was on his own, but when he got to the young boy in front of me, he looked at me & asked what I needed. I pointed out that the young boy was actually waiting for longer than me, and he remarked "oh he's not important he just cleaned".

I'm not sure if the boy was a long term resident or what his situation was, but I found the receptionists reaction to be very rude and uncalled for. When I insisted this wasn't a problem & I was happy to wait he gave the boy short and snappy answers and was just very rude about the whole thing. For a good hostel it's a shame you have arrogant members of staff letting it down.

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank intheheights63
Ocean I, Manager at Ocean Island Inn / Backpackers / Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 8 October 2013

Hello,
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay at Ocean Island.
We’re extremely pleased to hear that you enjoyed yourself while staying with us; we especially like that you found us friendly, clean and a good value for your money! We’re also glad you enjoyed your private room with skylight - it’s one of our favourites!
Hopefully you took advantage of our central downtown location and did some exploring of the beautiful city of Victoria. Our team works hard to provide a comfortable and welcoming home away from home for travelers. We pride ourselves on our friendly service and make great efforts to maintain a positive relationship with our guests. We ensure all of our staff is trained to have guest satisfaction as their top priority, which is why it’s so unfortunate to hear that one of our staff members did not provide you with the customer service you (and other guests) deserved. In light of your comments, we have addressed the issue with the staff member in question, as well as the rest of our staff. Rest assured, we are working on the matter to ensure that this situation doesn’t happen again!
Thank you again for your kind words, we look forward to having you stay with us again when you’re in Victoria next.
Safe travels,

Reviewed 4 October 2013

I'll start off by saying if you're looking for a luxurious, typical, Delta-style experience, this is not your place. However, if you are looking for a community atmosphere, to immerse in culture, and to have fun and get to know people, this is the PERFECT place. My boyfriend & I backpacked around the island, and we made a choice to not stay at brand name hotels, rather guest houses and hostels. We didn't regret it. Ocean Island definitely embodies the spirit of the island, from the awesome paint colours to the very friendly and welcoming staff. Not your typical stay, but I would definitely come back again!!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple