“Friendly staff”

Ocean Island Inn / Backpackers / Suites
Harstad, Norway
“Friendly staff”
Reviewed 30 April 2014

The staff was always friendly and helpful. They provided me very good advice in a serious situation when I got sick, which was not caused by the hostel. When I was feeling better on the next day I received very good tips for activities in all price categories, especially also free or low price activities without own interests.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Ocean I, Manager at Ocean Island Inn / Backpackers / Suites, responded to this review, 9 May 2014
Hello, and thank you for taking the time to write us a great review! We’re happy to hear that you got some great advice from our staff when you were feeling unwell. Making sure our guests are safe and healthy is our top priority. We hope you still enjoyed your stay in Victoria despite feeling under the weather.
Cheers, and safe travels.
Ocean Island

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
Reviewed 29 April 2014

The location is great. Easy to walk to anywhere you want to go in downtown Victoria. I had my own room with shared bathroom. The bathrooms were always spotless.
The hostel has a great bar area to chat to other travellers and there's plenty of activities like bingo and trivia and a pub crawl to join.
Highly recommend Ocean Island inn!

• Stayed April 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write us such a great review on Tripadvisor! We’re always happy to hear when guests enjoyed their stay with us. It’s a pleasure to hear you appreciated our great location, clean bathrooms, unique ambiance, friendly staff, and our awesome bar and cafe events! The cafe events are a great place to meet other travelers and make friends and it seems like you took full advantage of that. Feel free to stop by for a quiz night or a pub crawl next time you’re in Victoria.
Cheers, and happy travels.
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 28 April 2014 via mobile

I originally booked 3 nights in a 4 bed female dorm, however the room was very small but had a surprising amount of storage space! It wasn't for me so moved into a private room with the help of very friendly & helpful staff.
Reccommend this as the price difference is not huge.
Rooms are very clean & tidy.
Great location, great staff, relaxed atmosphere at a good price.
Would reccommend.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Thanks for taking the time to review us! We’re happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and that you found our staff friendly and helpful! We have experienced people at our front desk 24/7 to assist in any room changes, and upgrades are usually available for only a few dollars more. We’re glad to hear our front desk helped you find the room that worked best for you!
Kind regards and safe travels,
Reviewed 23 April 2014

I have stayed here 3 times in the last 3 years, as it is a very affordable and convenient accommodation for an overnight stay in Victoria! The location is unbeatable, less than a 10 minute walk to the inner harbour and all the attractions, restaurants etc! I usually book a private room with friends and we share the bunk beds! There's a mini fridge in the room to keep cold drinks and snacks. Affordable, clean, and there was never a wait for the shared washrooms (which were very clean!). This is an 'upper class' hostel- not what you usually expect from 'hostels' and other 'cheap' accommodations.

The rooms were colorful and the art on the wall makes the place feel funky and cool!

The staff is very helpful! They have loads of storage space downstairs which they were happy to let us use to keep our bags while we we explored the city, even after checkout!

Cheers Ocean Island!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Thank you so much for taking the time to write us such a glowing review! It’s such a pleasure to hear how much you’ve enjoyed your time with us. We strive to make sure that Ocean Island is regarded as an “upper class” hostel, and among the best and most affordable places to stay while visiting the beautiful city of Victoria. We hope to see you next time you’re in Victoria! Safe and happy travels.
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 23 April 2014

The atmosphere in the hostel was really nice! Beside that, I loved the decoration and the style of the place, and all rooms and bathrooms were very clean. Nice staff, perfect location. A really good place to stay in if you want to visit Victoria with a lower budget.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Ocean I, Manager at Ocean Island Inn / Backpackers / Suites, responded to this review, 5 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write us such a great review! We hope you left with lasting memories of Ocean Island and the beautiful city of Victoria, and that you used the money you saved on accommodation to see all the beautiful sites this city has to offer!
Kind regards and safe travels.
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 April 2014

This hostel is in a great location, not far from downtown and close to the major bus routes. However, I found some of the front desk staff rude and unhelpful, although most were awesome. I didn't get shown around either which was frustrating. I had a TINY private room with a sink and fridge. However, the fridge actually froze everything, no matter what temperature it was on, and kicked out so much heat that the temp in the room was unbearable without an open window and a fan. On a positive note, the bathrooms were clean and the top floor was quiet. Not the best hostel I have stayed in, but definitely not the worst.

Room Tip: Top floor is much quieter!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Ocean I, Manager at Ocean Island Inn / Backpackers / Suites, responded to this review, 29 April 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review us! We’re glad to hear you enjoyed our very central location, quiet room, clean bathrooms and awesome staff. We are very sorry to hear that some of our staff may not have been as awesome as others, and we will look into this situation and ensure that all of our staff are consistently awesome. Some of our rooms are in fact tiny, but this is reflected in their tiny price, and they are usually our most popular. We try to give our guests extensive information about the rooms before they book, including floor plans on our website, and we can also usually switch rooms after check-in. We have replaced the fridge that was freezing things. We encourage our guests to speak to a front desk person or a manager about any issues, so they can be resolved as soon as possible. We’re glad that we are definitely not the worst hostel you’ve stayed in! With the variety and prices of our dorms and rooms, cleanliness, friendly service, free Internet throughout, renovated facilities, original art decor, cafe bar with live music and a host of other extras, our aim is to be the best or among the best. Feedback such as yours is much appreciated, as it helps us achieve this aim.

Kind regards,
Reviewed 5 April 2014

The staff are very rude. They seem to have a problem with me. I am looked at with contempt, yet they have never came out with what the problem is. I get glares & angry looks. Once I heard a staff member say something against me. I have never given them any problems. If they have a problem, they should come out & say so. Whatever it is they are mad about, they have not brought it up to me. You aren't even permitted to defend yourself. Very unprofessional. If you have any sort of condition, do not come here. I can only deduce they are hiding something from me. In the rating section for the pool & fitness centre, I rated the nearby one which is Crystal Pool.

Room Tip: Private rooms are the best.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Ocean I, Manager at Ocean Island Inn / Backpackers / Suites, responded to this review, 24 April 2014
After reading your review we are extremely surprised and saddened that you felt our staff were treating you unfairly because of a condition you have. We pride ourselves on treating everyone with respect and going out of our way to help our guests who have any particular conditions. We assure you that we have taken your review very seriously. We have reinforced these policies with our staff who have reassured us that they have been and will continue to present a welcoming and open-minded atmosphere.
We suggest that next time you talk to a manager if you ever feel anything but welcome here. All of our guests are extremely valued and we want to make sure that everyone feels comfortable and accepted. Thank you for taking the time to review us.