Ocean Island Inn / Backpackers / Suites
Reviewed 15 June 2014 via mobile

Atmosphere is cheerful, simple, earthy, international and very inexpensive without inconvenience creepiness or grime. Web site is completely accurate of vision and actual experience of hostel/hotel hybrid. Right next to three or four large different thrift shops with laundry in hostel, so consider not overpacking if you can take some fashion risks during the visit to Victoria!

Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank sarah l
Ocean I, Manager at Ocean Island Inn / Backpackers / Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2014

Hello and thank you for your thoughtful review.
It makes our day when we read about a guest’s positive reflection on their stay with us! It’s a pleasure to know that you found us cheerful, inexpensive and clean, that you found our website to be accurate and well thought out, and that you took advantage of our in-house amenities to clean up some of your awesome thrift store finds!
To top it all off, it’s great that you took advantage of our convenient location to do a bit of budget shopping - next time take us shopping with you.
Safe and happy travels.

Reviewed 14 June 2014

I had room 44a. Was a private room with shared bathroom that suited me fine until I got into bed. The mattress was covered in plastic - felt more like an air mattress. I woke at 2am hot, itch and sweaty and couldnt sleep. Had intended to sty two nights but cancelled my second night as I needed good sleep and couldnt spend another sleepless night. Informed staff as I checked out. Was given a refund of half the rate of my unused second night. Everything else about the place was adequate.

Room Tip: Check you have a good mattress
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
Ocean I, Manager at Ocean Island Inn / Backpackers / Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2014

Hello there, thank you for your feedback.
We’re pleased to hear that overall you would recommend Ocean Island to other travellers, although sorry to hear that your mattress was less than ideal for you. We have found that medium-firm mattresses are preferred by the majority of our guests, so those are the ones we use. Our mattress do have a thin layer of vinyl, which is the best way to ensure that our beds are 100% clean and hygienic. However, we do also equip our beds with a quilted mattress cover to provide additional comfort and softness. Thank you for letting us know which room you stayed in, so that we can check the quality of the mattress in that room, and replace it if necessary.
We ask our guests to approach the front desk if they have any issue with their stay (including mattress comfort!) so that we can do our best to accommodate their needs, and perhaps switch their room if need be.
Again, we apologize for your sleepless night!
Safe travels,
Ocean Island.

Reviewed 2 June 2014

Went into Ocean Island planning to stay a few days while I looked for longer-term accommodation for my new job, and wound up staying six months.

Big Plusses:
1. Staff/Other Residents: Great mix of cultures/experience/interests amongst both the staff and fellow residents. Super-friendly folks, and always someone to talk about something to at the bar. Front desk staff excellent, and do a great job of juggling multiple inputs at the same time.
2. Bar/Lounge: That secret restaurant advice about doing a short menu but doing it well? OI does this to a T, and keeps it affordable, too. Therefore there are always a few pennies available for a beer. Bar staff deserve a special shout out by being smart, friendly, professional, and fun.
3. Central Location: Close to EVERYTHING, including bus routes to get wherever you want to go (one block to main downtown bus hub). Never a problem finding whatever you need.

Plusses, not quite as big:
1. Rooms are clean, and comfortable, can get too hot if you don't turn the old fashioned radiator down, but otherwise all good.
2. Shared bathrooms: If you're super-sensitive to shared bathrooms, remember that these are such. I'm not super-sensitive, and always found them clean. Had a problem with a blocked drain in first week, and front desk staff fixed it quickly and efficiently.
3. Ground floor rooms, super accessible, but close to the bar: On Open-Mic nights, I occasionally needed earplugs to sleep. Upside was being literally 10 steps from both the front door and the bar/lounge. Most rooms on upper floors farther from the bar, but not as close. Take your pick, I was very happy with mine.

Overall, I can't recommend OI too highly. It changed from an affordable alternative I tried, to a genuinely fun and memorable experience.

Room Tip: Rooms on the ground can be noisy, but are near the bar and front door. Other floors are just fine.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Great clean hostel in a good location (about 5-10 minute walk to everything). The staff were great and very accommodating, even allowing me to store my very large snowboard bag while I was travelling through the rest of Van Island. The only negative was that the rooms were tiny and the beds were pretty uncomfortable. But overall a great stay.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
Ocean I, Manager at Ocean Island Inn / Backpackers / Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review Ocean Island. It’s wonderful to hear that our front desk staff were friendly and accommodating, and thanks for the five out of five for cleanliness!
We do have some very small rooms - which are often our most popular as their small size is matched with a tiny price! We also have larger private rooms, and it’s often just a few dollars more to upgrade your room. Our reservation and front desk staff are always happy to help you find your ideal room, and you can change rooms anytime. Details of all rooms including floor plans are on our website.
We use medium firm mattresses as those are the ones the majority of our guests find the most comfortable. Our housekeeping team routinely checks the condition of our beds and mattresses, but due to your comments we are double checking our smaller private rooms. If you could contact us to tell us which private room you were in, that would be a great help!
We’re glad you had an overall great stay! Safe and happy travels!

Reviewed 26 May 2014

This place is comfortable. All the common areas, specially the bathrooms are kept clean all the time. I stayed for about 3 weeks and I enjoyed cooking my own meal in the common kitchen. Staffs are fun & professional. Good internet connection for work.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
Ocean I, Manager at Ocean Island Inn / Backpackers / Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2014

Thank you for your review!
It’s a pleasure to hear that you found us clean, fun and professional; your kind words are much appreciated by our hard-working housekeeping and front desk staff! We hope you left us with fond memories to look back on. Safe travels,
Ocean Island.

Reviewed 25 May 2014

This is a good option if you are seeking an acommodation more on the cheap side. The room (small private room) was really small but OK (got what I was promised to get ;)). It got a little warm, but there was a very silent fan that helped a lot. The asset of this place is its location - if you need to catch a bus and move across the city, the central Douglas street is just few blocks away. Shopping and dining is also at hand and the whole downtown of Victoria is in walking distance . On the other hand, there were some shady characters and quite some activity in the streets at night. However, that is a problem of the Downtown, not the hostel.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Ocean I, Manager at Ocean Island Inn / Backpackers / Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 1 June 2014

Hello there,
We’re glad you mentioned your small and inexpensive private room; our Mini Double private rooms are a perfect way to save money while you travel! We have many styles of private rooms that range in all shapes and sizes, and while our very small rooms are quite popular with guests looking for the least expensive option you can upgrade your room for often just a few dollars more.

Victoria is known for being a safe city, both night and day, even including the more colourful downtown characters. However, we take our guests’ security very seriously with our locked front door and interior doors, and 24 hour front desk staffing.

We hope you took full advantage of our convenient downtown location to explore all that Victoria has to offer- just as you said, all the major bus routes pass right by us, and so we’re an ideal spot for exploring around the city and and the beautiful nature surrounding Victoria.

Thank you for taking the time to review Ocean Island - safe and happy travels!

Reviewed 19 May 2014

Over the years, I have travelled to a variety of backpacker's and been treated to some brilliant adventures, but also some terrible experiences. I was fortunate that my six night stay at Ocean Island Inn, provided me with a chance to share the marvellous time I had while being here. As someone who prides themselves on exceptional customer service, I was thrilled with both Jessie and Kaliegh's sincerity and professionalism. Over the course of my time spent at this location, I was provided by these two young ladies on many occasions the names of local restaurants, pubs, and places to check out. As I was not from the area, I was also given precise directions, with Jessie drawing me several maps to specific places. Their smiles and friendly advice made my stay! The room itself was a private Queen room with my own bathroom. I am very picky about cleanliness and found my area to be wonderfully put together and clean to my high standards. I liked having a closet, TV and mini -fridge. I also enjoyed being able to have a reasonable priced drink and good food. The laundry facilities were handy and the many free brochures were added bonuses. If someone is looking for peace and quiet, then the area is located in a more busy section of Victoria, with a variety of people who do come from the street. That said, I never had any problem with anyone and found most to be friendly. The fabulous value was something that makes me highly recommend Ocean Island Inn. Please note: I had to pay additionally for six nights of Parking, which I had not budgeted for but it was also conveniently located by the backpackers. From the live music, to the friendly people like James and Stefano who helped me with my luggage, this place has a sense of home.

Room Tip: I would recommend the Queen room, which is private and offers the perks of having a personal area, b...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Ocean I, Manager at Ocean Island Inn / Backpackers / Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 25 May 2014

Wow, we’re blown away by your wonderful and thorough review! Thank you for mentioning everything you loved about Ocean Island, from our cleanliness and thoughtful customer service, to the wide variety of our on-site amenities, and even our live music and our home-away-from-home atmosphere!

We make customer satisfaction our top priority, so you can understand how happy we are to hear that you found our customer service exceptional. We love our beautiful little city and want our guests to take advantage of everything Victoria has to offer, which is why we try to provide as much assistance and information as possible. Kaliegh and Jessie are very happy to know they made such a difference!

Again, it’s a pleasure to hear that you found our facility so neat and tidy - our hardworking housekeeping staff truly appreciates the recognition.

Glad you took advantage of all our amenities, such as our fun little Cafe Lounge and the live entertainment we have in the evenings. We’ll have a nice cold drink awaiting you on your next visit!
Safe and happy travels.