“In the heart of Cadboro Bay”

Thai Lemongrass Restaurant
Ranked #137 of 1,204 Restaurants in Victoria
Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Victoria, Canada
“In the heart of Cadboro Bay”
Reviewed 30 June 2014

Authentic Thai food, well made and tasty. The service is good. The décor is very authentic Thai and reminds me of my visit to Thailand.

• Visited June 2014

• Korean first
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Costly "Special" - beware!”
Reviewed 5 June 2014

I have to agree with Sue A’s review, 29 May 2014 and wish I had seen this before I went to this restaurant.

A group of us went for lunch and our waitress really promoted the "special" which sounded nice and two of us decided to have that. But imagine our shock when we received our bills, to learn our lunch dish was $17.75. As Sue A points out, all the items on their specific lunch menu are around $10 so when our waitress didn't mention the price of the special, we assumed the price would be similar. Not so! We felt tricked that we did not know this in advance and were stuck paying this ridiculous price.

The next day, I contacted the restaurant about my concerns, hoping for a positive resolution. I indicated that had I been informed of the price, I would certainly have ordered something else. No luck on a positive outcome. Instead, I got lots of details about fresh ingredients and how other customers love this dish but no acknowledgement that I had a valid concern. In fact, I was informed that most customers don't decide what to order on price so I should adjust my approach. Maybe other customers don't blink at spending nearly $20 for lunch, but I do! So future diners at this restaurant, beware the special and ask lots of questions.

Visited June 2014
1 Thank Diner L
Qualicum Beach, Canada
“What out for the special!”
Reviewed 29 May 2014

The waitress kept pushing the lunch special and as the other lunch menu items were about $10. we failed to ask the price of the "Special" Imagine our shock to be billed almost double that for the special. Coffee refills are pricey too. The food was okay but I would never go back again.

• Visited May 2014
3 Thank Sue A
“Average”
Reviewed 27 April 2014

I have been here three times for lunch and each time I am unimpressed. I find the food overall is greasy - they use far too much oil. I have tried three different dishes and they have been the same in terms of quality. The service is generally okay but not outstanding. The food comes to the table very quickly. The ambiance is not great; they took over the space from a previous restaurant and did little to spruce up the tired space. The patio outside is nice on a sunny day.

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank pate63
Victoria, Canada
“Every other restaurant looks better now”
Reviewed 5 February 2014 via mobile

As we were leaving, I realized that it's useful to have restaurants like Thai Lemongrass because otherwise how can we appreciate even mediocre places?

We started with a nice cup of tea, which I suppose had been brewed with warm tap water. The waitress wondered what we would like her to do with the now cold tea in our cups. Hmmmm.

Then we had a $10 wee bowl of soup. Lots of cheap cold mushrooms bobbing in top. Very little flavour and again the temperature of warm tap water.

We moved on to the special. For $17.75 we were treated to the lettuce wrap entree. It's a whole iceberg lettuce cut in half. On one half was a puddle of ground chicken and chopped vegetables in a spicy oily sauce. It was tasty enough but then enough oil can make anything tasty. We were invited to use the other half of the lettuce to make wraps. Wraps are a nice idea if the lettuce is ripe and leafy. Nobody told the chef that Unripe iceberg lettuce doesn't work.

I suppose this restaurant gets some nice ratings because their nearby competitors are a Subway and a Starbucks.

We saved the evening by enjoying a coffee and dessert at Starbucks.

You'll get far better food, better service, and better prices at Baan Thai, Little Thai Place, or any of the independent Thai restaurants.

Visited February 2014