“Please get on top of the quality!”
Review of La Belle Patate

La Belle Patate
Ranked #409 of 1,222 Restaurants in Victoria
Cuisines: Canadian
Dining options: After-hours
Dining options: After-hours
Reviewed 10 February 2014

I previously wrote a review of not being able to do wrong at la belle patate.. Sorry but I was wrong!
We stopped by late night after the esquimalt pool closed - a great time for Poutine and many people who were at the rec centre were in for a late night snack. It was around closing time and we got a Poutine to share.. And it reeked of old fryer grease. It wasn't good! I know it was the end of the night but there's no excuse for serving us Poutine cooked in unchanged fryer oil. It ruined us for the Poutine there and I don't think I will be back any time soon.

1  Thank ccduckie

Reviewed 17 January 2014

My friend and I went there tonight with high hopes after hearing such good things about the poutine, but we were seriously disappointed. The fries were charred to within an inch of their lives, the gravy was salty and had an odd twang to it and the curds weren't melty at all. I'm a huge poutine lover and have eaten at many of Quebec's best spots, as well as most places in Victoria, and whatever I had tonight at Belle Patate is most definitely not the best in Victoria. In fact, it's the worst I've ever tasted. I guess they were having an off night?

2  Thank Emma G
Reviewed 26 November 2013 via mobile

I have visited La Belle Patate many times and have never been disappointed! Their poutine is great and easily shared. They have a burger so huge, The Belle Burger, but so good! They have a single person size called The Mini Belle, just as good. But my all time favorite are all dressed steamies. Simple but delicious. Great staff also and the owner is very passionate about the food he serves. Lunch times though during the week can be very busy as it is a popular choice for the navy folk. Well worth the price and visit!

1  Thank Anthony P
Reviewed 1 November 2013

I am an Esquimalt resident and when I moved there a year ago I ventured into La Belle Patate with some hesitation (it does not have any curb appeal!). I've basically never left! The food is great - poutine is the best in Vic; burgers are huge and handmade (House Special or All Dressed, both are great); steamies are my 6yr old's favourite go-to dinner; and the staff are laid back, busy, and efficient. The owner is around most days and is as hands-on as it gets. Cool guy who cares about makign good food and making his customers come back again and again. NO frills - just seriously tasty and filling. No diet anything here but that keeps the pretentious psuedo-yuppie Oak Bay types in their stuffy side of town ;)

Reviewed 28 October 2013

This is a VERY casual takeout place. But there are a few tables, and it could probably seat a dozen in a pinch. The spruce beer was very good, about as sweet as a birch beer, but a little sharper tasting.

Be warned: They shut down the "smoked meat sandwich" after 8 PM - but happily I was able to negotiate a smoked meat sub instead. Got a fresh deli bun stuffed with about a pound of coarsely chopped smoked meat, and laden with some primo dill pickles. Astonishingly good, and food enough for two. The POUTINE is 'miraculous' - for want of a better adjective. Put this place on your bucket list, people!

1  Thank mm__j__ww