“New Fav Sushi Spot”

Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 30 October 2013

So just a foreword; My partner and I had recently been not entirely happy with our previous sushi regular, so we decided to take a walk and see what else was around. We were pleasantly surprised to find Itami Sushi so centrally located, and of superior quality.

To Start with what we Ordered Breakdown:

Assorted Tempura~ We've all had tempura where we think "too doughy", "too crispy", or even "moist"... I was surprised to find after devouring this dish i had not one bad complaint and was sufficiently happy with them nailing the recipe.

Ten Don~ or Tempura Don (assorted as well... no sauce which is likely the only downside, but rest assured will be trying another one next time... did not quite live up to expectations there.

California Rolls~ Were neither to wet, nor over seeded or dry... Very happy they had this balance right!

Dynamite Rolls~ While I liked this traditional roll with the eel addition, my partner wasn't quite so happy with it, rest assured just because of the eel. I think we might have the super dynamite roll next time.

Rock & Cali Rolls~ This was amazing, the fullness of flavor and depth of others, great sauce, this more than anything has convinced us to give this great little spot at least 3 more tries, and I'm not thinking they will be disappointing. One of the BEST rolls I have EVER had.

DF Banana + I.C.~ We chose this for dessert as we had had in other places and found we loved it here more. Deep fried Banana with your choice flavor of Ice Cream and a dollops of whip topped with a drizzle of chocolate. Well worth a look!

Service was top notch. Quick, attentive, and unobtrusive!

The atmosphere lost me a little being much more social house than nicely secluded group seats...

Value was great! Truly was surprised when i got a look at our bill. was so low, and we left so full!

1  Thank Addison J
There are newer reviews for Itami Sushi

Reviewed 12 October 2013

Nice atmosphere. Good service, great menu. Good food. All in all, decent sushi at decent prices, but we were not super impressed. We would go back, but there are better sushi restaurants in Victoria.

1  Thank 333Chrissy
Reviewed 3 October 2013

Hello Readers,
Welcome to the Fall months! The the wonderful colorful leaves and the mild temperature motivated my lovely daughter and I to head downtown to search for a new Japanese restaurant. Our old favorite was just lacking in service so we vowed never to return. While strolling downtown we wandered onto View street and spotted the new eye catching red sign of Itami sushi. We were pleasantly surprised when we entered the newly renovated restaurant with a beautiful waterfall at the entrance. As we walked further inside we were once more surprised at the large size of the restaurant and enjoyed the decor of the dark wood with the red accessories. It was also great to see all the tatami rooms located along the right hand side wall for larger parties. We were immediately greeted by the waitress who gave us a warm welcome and handed us the menus which is fairly extensive with lots of sushi, sashimi and hot dishes common to Japanese restaurants. We did come across some items we've never experienced before like the stir fried asparagus and the deep fried tofu which were listed under the appetizer section. We were eager to try the new items and ordered them. The asparagus was cooked perfectly and seemed to be sprinkled with some salmon row which added a tasty and beautiful texture. The deep fried tofu came with a delicious sauce and was delicate and pleasing to the palate. Both orders were quite a substantial size for appetizers. Since we were already half full we decided to share a bento box which featured two items and also came with some sushi. For the cost of 12.95 we had more than enough between the two of us. In fact, there was so much food that we ended taking some home. We had tempura and sesame chicken bento box. The tempura covered veggies and prawns were crunchy and yet soft and very tasty. The sesame chicken was tender on the inside yet slightly crunchy on the outside surrounded by lots of sesame seeds. The sushi which came with the box was made with very fresh fish which of course, made it delicious. The rice was the best I've ever had in any restaurant. The waitress was very accommodating when she allowed us to substitute tamago for the california roll but that might not have been the best decision as I read the california roll is made with real crab. Most of the Japanese restaurants serve imitation crab so this is beyond the norm. The salmon, tuna, and shrimp sushi were very fresh and delicious to eat. The service was, food and ambiance were great ! Consequently, both my daughter and I gave it two thumbs up and we know we have found an excellent Japanese restaurant we can now call home.

Reviewed 24 August 2013

Recently ate here without any expectations (knew/heard nothing about the place)... and wasnt very impressed. Even though Im fairly new to sushi and only eat vegetarian sushi, Ive been eating it with some very experienced folks so have learned a lot quickly, and Itami was just okay - the food and the service. While the servers were lovely, they were too busy (its a big place, but didnt seem that busy), and werent very attentive. We were a party of six, so the incentive was there, but we had to ask for drinks, plates were left for a long time, an order was wrong, the meal came sushi first, appies last (apparently the two kitchens make it impossible to coordinate?). And the food itself was uninspired... only three veggie options, two of which had yam tempura and the other just boring. Very disappointing. Wished we would've gone to Zen Sushi...

Reviewed 11 August 2013 via mobile

Mmmmm yum this place is delicious . Lovely staff. Amazing food. The rice and sauce are to die for and the sushi is amazing !! They do amazing teppan or bento boxes for $10-15 including soup,salad tea . The restaurant is gorgeous,romantic and very beautiful. Love this place !!