“Good things come in small packages!”
Review of Victoria Bug Zoo

Vancouver to Victoria and Butchart Gardens Tour by Bus
Ranked #11 of 202 things to do in Victoria
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: The Victoria Bug Zoo opened its doors in 1997 and has been showing visitors of downtown Victoria our awe-inspiring bugs ever since. A visit to this must-see mini zoo offers an excellent opportunity to view and experience live tropical bugs from around the world. All the animals are alive and in tanks. Discover roughly 50 fascinating species including giant walking sticks, beautiful praying mantis, glow-in-the-dark scorpions, hairy tarantulas, and Canada’s largest ant colony. Knowledgeable tour guides will introduce you to the wonderful world of bugs, give a wealth of information about the animals on display, and provide a safe bug handling experience for the more adventurous. You can choose the level of interaction you have with our friendly animals. Don’t forget your camera to document this unique experience! The displays are ever changing so come in and be amazed by the extensive collection of invertebrates from around the world any time of the year. This stop is sure to thrill everyone; from children, adults, bug-lovers to even the more skeptical visitors! Tours always in progress, so no matter when you come, you are always right on time. Don’t miss this unforgettable, hands-on adventure while in Victoria, BC!
Reviewed 6 December 2013

The kids (10 and 7) really wanted to visit this place, so I tagged along even though I was not too keen on it. We walked into the 'zoo' and it was so small we couldn't believe it. Then a very pleasant 'guide' walked up to us and gathered us together for our tour ... and all our initial shock started wearing off very quickly. I wish I could remember her name - she was new to the zoo and very knowledgeable and patient with the kids and adults. We spent almost 1.5 hours in there and when we initially walked through the door we thought we'd be done in about 10 mins.

We all learned things form our guide and the kids absolutely loved holding many of the bugs (although its still not my favourite thing to do) Several of the adults in our group held them as well.

The gift shop - which is also a waiting room when the zoo is full - has a lot (too many) hand-made / written signs about watching your kids and if you break it, you pay for it, and this is not a baby changing place, etc etc. It was really over the top. This is a kid-adventure - so I suggest the owners work with that and don't make the kids/parents adjust to suit your small space. Remove some of the stuff, put it higher, make a better waiting room - there are several different things you can do. But all the signs create an unfriendly environment and make you look runprofessional.

I highly recommend this as an adventure with children - and don't judge the zoo by your first impression! :)

Reviewed 25 November 2013

Wow. Awful rude woman at front desk....Owner I think. Witnessed her rudeness to another customer. She was brisk short and glared at a family with two small kids because one of them touched a product. She asked the parents to keep an eye on their kids, she obviously hates kids from all the signage in the place. I don't have children myself but I certainly would never bring them here!

7  Thank Sarah P
Reviewed 22 November 2013

What a disappointing and awful experience. I thought this was a family friendly place to take my two year old... the atmosphere is very unwelcoming and there are signs everywhere reminding you to supervise your children "especially toddlers" in the same vein as having all breakable items toddler height and NOTHING appropriate for them to touch. Woman at the front was awful, terrible customer service skills and as absolutely rude when she chastised me for not watching my daughter as she upset a small item off the shelf... even though I tried to explain to her I would have gladly paid for the item had it been broken I did not appreciate her rude tone and unpleasant attitude. She completely lost it on my saying it is because of "People Like me" that they had to put signs up and that I "Should be embarrassed" WHAT?? I was shocked. I told her her conduct was awful and that this was geared towards children so why are they so unwelcome? Absolutely ridiculous experience, don't bother going unless you're an adult. I was embarrassed, not of my daughter, but of this miserable old woman who hated kids. This is my home town and I was looking forward to sharing a family tradition with my family that I experienced as a child.... no such luck. Save your money and go to miniature world, wonderful friendly staff and things kids can actually do! (The guide Was very knowledgeable and kind, I exclude him from the interview)

7  Thank Lilynova
Reviewed 16 November 2013

Great fun, even on repeat trips. My kids freaked to see dad holding an Emperor Scorpion. I avoided wetting myself as well. Actually, great guides, and was not even creepy (I like bugs, so no worries even before I went).

1  Thank AggieChiro
Reviewed 13 November 2013

I was at the Bug Zoo with another adult "kid" and had fun. Mainly I think this would interest parents of the 5 - 12 year old set. There are plenty of bizarre and interesting insects, arachnids, and other creepy crawlies. Getting to hold a giant millipede was worth the price of admission. I was pleased to see that they are feeding many of their critters Himalayan blackberry leaves. Maybe we should release a bunch of these things around the Pacific NW to deal with this menace. (Just kidding. That's how we got the blackberries in the first place.)