“Great food!”

Ranked #96 of 1,196 Restaurants in Victoria
Price range: US$12 - US$20
Cuisines: American, Southwestern, Barbecue
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner
Description: Hanks * A Restaurant. We think that says it all. Yeah we use mostly local, free run, hormone free, happy things. More importantly we use big flavors on them to create different things. The menu changes drastically week to week. We're open late, sometimes it's loud, sometimes it 's not. We have a wicked beer, wine and cocktail selection. We don't have a lot of seats. Also the phone doesn't work and we tend to not check messages so please don't be offended. Come say hi please.
Salt Spring Island, Canada
“Great food!”
Reviewed 19 August 2014 via mobile

Reading favourable reviews was the reason for my visit to Hanks and I was not disappointed. The first thing that struck me was the great beer special: all cans of craft beers $3! I was off to a good start. The friendly chief, cook and bottle washer asked me about my likes and dislikes concerning food and he recommended I try two of the starters: wings and pork belly. Meantime, I started into a Spinnakers Ale. The wings were a refreshing change from the standard deep fried fare. Smoky with hints of apple cider bar-b-q sauce, I had intended to try one and take the other two home, but I could not stop myself from nibbling all three to bare bone. Delicious. The pork belly was like a very large, thick slice of bacon. Seared and then thoroughly cooked to tender perfection and anointed with a fusion of hoisin and verde hot sauce. The outer regions were crisp. Served with pickled vegetables, the dish was perfect. My mouth was slightly ablaze, but that's ok... I like a meal that fights back. Cannot wait to return!

• Visited August 2014
1 Thank Ian M

New Westminster, BC, Canada
“Terrific BBQ”
Reviewed 28 July 2014

We had two amazing beef brisket sandwiches with collard greens and purple coleslaw, and we savored every bite. However, we should have split one sandwich because they're huge and really stick with you. Delightful service, fun surroundings (every Pearl Jam poster ever printed). If we lived in Victoria, we'd be regulars.

Visited July 2014
“Relaxed, friendly and tasty BBQ”
Reviewed 15 July 2014 via mobile

This is a great, little (14 seat bar) BBQ joint with a friendly atmosphere (our 8 year old was very happy) and prompt service. Great music (Arctic Monkeys, Amy Winehouse, Pearl Jam, etc.) and friendly service from the two guys behind the counter who prep the food right in front of you. Between us we had the beef brisket, pulled lamb, bone in pork belly, beans, slaw, cornbread, island salad and mac n cheese. All were tasty, the lamb and brisket particularly good. The meats were pre-grilled (by the chefs) and then reheated in vac pacs, not served straight from the grill. This is a new business (started last November) and the guys have opened a 2nd site too. I wish them every success in their new venture and encourage you to go and visit then if you enjoy good BBQ.

1 Thank petea_bath
Southern California
“Small Place with Big Flavor”
Reviewed 18 May 2014

This place is a small place and you wind up smelling like smoke afterwards but your reward is getting to taste some of the best BBQ I have tasted in a while. the flavors are excellent and the owner himself is the one doing the cooking. I found the interaction with the kitchen (which is right in front of you) to be very nice as there is nothing to hide. This place is worth finding and tasting some good BBQ here in Victoria.

• Visited May 2014
3 Thank heumanntouch
Victoria, BC
“Glorious”
Reviewed 16 May 2014 via mobile

I have been eyeing Hank's through my office window for a couple of months and finally tried it today. After a long deliberation over the menu (everything sounded amazing) I decided on the Pork Belly Sandwich.

"Glorious" is the only word I could come up with. The meat was amazing, the pickled radish, onion, and zucchini were the perfect pairing, and the sauces and bun were divine.

I'm going to have to dust off my gym pass, because Hank's is going to be seeing a LOT more of me.

2 Thank 24kjer