“Amazing food”

Steamship Grill & Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
Steamship Grill & Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #60 of 1,222 Restaurants in Victoria
Price range: US$4 - US$23
Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 10 March 2014

I was part of a group of 20+ people so it can be tough to review the wait staff under those conditions. The food was absolutely perfect. Literally outstanding. I had the halibut special and it was divine. Alongside that I enjoyed two perfect lime margaritas. I am a margarita snob and this place has nailed it!! The bartender knew exactly what he was doing.

The service was somewhat slow, but the food came out in a reasonable time. It was the waiting time until they took our order and then our dessert order that seemed to take longer than normal. But again, this could be the result of our huge group. The drinks and food all arrived quickly once it was ordered. Our bills took forever to come once we asked for them, but I don't think we were the only tables our waiter had.

We all ventured upstairs to the Robert Bateman gallery and enjoyed that very much too!

The 10 mini donut dessert is to die for, but I recommend sharing it with multiple people.

1  Thank Jennifer M

Reviewed 5 March 2014

This was our first visit to this new addition to the restaurant scene in Victoria. We found the West Coast food to be of excellent quality, and the servings generous . Our waitress was friendly and efficient even though she also had to cope with a group of forty seated close by. The only negative aspect was the noise level created by loud conversations and music. How that can be changed in what once was a huge open hall without changing the whole interior I have no idea.
We combined having a great meal with a visit to the Bateman Gallery, just one floor up. Don't miss this beautiful exhibition while in the building. His paintings and sketches are stunning . Allow about one hour plus.

Reviewed 3 March 2014

We booked a table here through Open Table two months in advance and specifically requested a window table. There were four of us and two arrived early for drinks at the bar and saw window tables available shortly before the reservation was due. When we were all seated it was absolutely the WORST seat in the house- by the drafty front door and with people waiting for tables lined up mere inches from where we were seated. I can understand not getting a requested seat sometimes but to get the worst table is pretty bad service.

The food was very good. (The people in the lineup seemed to enjoy oggling it). Our server was terrific- my poor ratings reflect my amazement at the awful seat we were given after we had taken care to reserve well in advance.

Reviewed 3 March 2014

Maybe it's because they are fairly new or maybe it's because the place was very busy - but the very good food was spoiled a bit by the relatively poor service. We did the Victoria Dine Around menu which was very good indeed. Nice seafood chowder to start, followed by beer braised short ribs over couscous and finished with a butterscotch pot de crème. The server was pleasant enough but I ordered a Fat Tug beer and she delivered a lager, the second beer she got right and the third one never arrived. Plus placing the wrong orders in front of the wrong people in our party of 4. We'll definitely go again - the waterfront patio opens April 1 - but hope we get a different server.

1  Thank jameslesley
Reviewed 2 March 2014

Food was okay, had to send the lukewarm fries back. Because of the high ceilings we found the noise level too high for pleasant conversation.

1  Thank PubSeniors