“What a delight!”

Ranked #5 of 49 Hotels in Victoria
calgary
“What a delight!”
Reviewed 1 March 2012

My daughter and I arrived at 8.30 am and were immediately upgraded to an impeccably cleaned and beautifully designed two-bedroom suite. Very comfortable beds; full kitchen; bathtubs and showers in each of the bathrooms. Wonderful front desk service and clearly well-trained housekeepers. We dined at the hotel Bistro one night and had a superb meal -- roasted vegetable soup; teriyaki salmon w/mushroom risotto; and a dessert -- all for $20 per person. Great location -- quiet, private but only two blocks off the Inner Harbour.

2 Thank evamy
OswegoHotelGManager, Manager at The Oswego Hotel, responded to this review, 6 March 2012
We really appreciate you posting such a wonderful and positive review about your recent stay with us.

The team work hard on communication and overall creating an exceptional guest experience and as mentioned in your review - I can clearly see the team did not disappoint.

We have been so busy with Dine Around this year and the Three course menu for $20 is fantastic value. Our Bistro is open for breakfast, lunch and dinner and really getting a great reputation in the culinary Victoria market.

Please come back and visit us again.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (296)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Seattle, WA
Reviewed 27 February 2012

We found the hotel based on Tripadvisor reviews and were not disappointed. The location in a quiet neighborhood is great (about a 5 minutes walk to the Victoria Clipper, and about a 15 minute walk into the "main" part of town). We arrived early (at about 11am) and they let us check in even though check in time isn't until 3pm. The rooms were very nice and comfortable and great sized (with kitchen, work desk, murphy bed, and table). We had wine and snacks at the hotel restaurant/lounge but it was fully booked for dinner for both nights (would advise making reservations if you want to eat there). Overall, this was a great little find and the price was just right. Would definitely recommend staying here!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank nelsoli
Williams Lake, BC
Reviewed 22 February 2012

Stay February 2012. We ended up at this hotel by looking online for a suite hotel. My family had flown in from across Canada and BC as my dad was flown here for emergency sextupal bypass surgery that got bumped a few times leaving us in victoria for 5 days prior to his surgery. We are currently still here as i write this review as my dad will be up to 10 days in recovery.

The staff at this hotel(every single one that we have been in contact with)are friendly and accommodating. They gave us an excellent long term rate, included the parking fee, and sent up a beautiful fruit platter and a card that wished us support in our current situation and a speedy recovery for my dad. When we pass the front desk, they ask how we are doing and that if there is anything they can do to make our stay better to just ask. That is just the wonderful people that work here.

The accomodations are beautiful, trendy and spacious. We have a 2bedroom suite allowing us space to not be on top of one another. The kitchen has everything you need and the coffee in the room is the best hotel coffee ive ever had. The bedrooms have queens with a pull out couch in the living room. The beds are deliciously comfy and have down comforters and great pillows.

The cleaning staff have made it look amazing everyday and leave a lovely music channel on to greet you when you come back to the hotel for respite. The pictures perfectly depict the awesomeness of this suite.

Close enough to walk to downtown, you are near the parliament buildings and many restaurants and pubs including one in the hotel.

You feel like you are at home here. It is lovely!

Room Tip: Our suite was 209
1 Thank PuddlenBoots
OswegoHotelGManager, General Manager at The Oswego Hotel, responded to this review, 6 March 2012
We are thrilled that you enjoyed your stay with us under such difficult circumstances with your family. On behalf of the team at the Oswego we wish your father a speedy recovery.

The suites at the hotel are very spacious with fully stocked kitchens. We try to ensure that all amenities are covered for ou guests when they come and stay with us - we are pleased to hear from you that our high standards were upheld at all times during your stay.

The Oswego team are amazing and go above and beyond to ensure our guests have a wonderful guest experience whilst staying with us.

We hope to be able to welcome you back in the not to distant future.

Thanks again.
Seattle, WA
Reviewed 20 February 2012

I was really excited to be coming here, as it is in the top 10 of hotels in Victoria. Got a great deal with the Clipper, things were looking like a good weekend upon us!

Started off good, this place is a short walk down the street from the Clipper. Got to the hotel shortly before noon and was happy they had a room ready for us even though we were early for check in. This was pretty much the last time I was excited about this hotel.

Room was okay at first glance, had a studio. We dropped off our bags and went out to the Royal BC Museum, which is about a 10 minute walk away. Museum was awesome, saw an IMAX film and went to dinner and then came back to the hotel. This is when I started noticing things were not as great as they look on a surface level.

For starters, I was a little dismayed when I noticed the toiletries. Our shampoo was used, it was a third gone. What hotel is so cheap that it can't give new shampoos to the rooms, that they have to recycle old ones? The bathroom only had the used shampoo, conditioner and one bar of hand soap. I'm pretty used to hotels having all those things (the shampoo not being used, of course) plus facial soap and body wash and sometimes lotion too. I was a little put out and instantly wished I had brought my own instead of assuming this hotel was like every other I have ever stayed at. I did mention this to the front desk the next day, and they sent up a new shampoo and body wash and extra hand soap so you didn't have to keep transferring the hand soap between next to the sink and the shower. But that whole thing I just found disgusting, to be honest. Don't skimp on the toiletries!

The shower in room 603 is broken, the hot water and cold water are backwards, FYI. Hot water is normally on the left and according to the picture on the faucet it looks like the hot water turns to the left, but in this shower it's actually the right for hot water. Also, the shower is kinda small. And the windows have bad insulation, you get a very heavy draft when you stand next to them.

There is a kitchenette which should be convenient but a lot of the dishes were dirty. Like, to use the french press you need to boil water and when I went to pull a pan out to do so, it was dirty. I started pulling out other dishes to the same surprise. So, any dish I used I washed before I used it (and after) just to be safe. That also grossed me out. I'm not holding that one against the hotel though, that's other hotel guests who do that. The hotel can't check all the dishes in each room between guests to make sure they are clean, but they sure could actually provide all the fresh, normal toiletries.

The complaints about the walls being thin are true, the street noise can be pretty loud and you can hear your neighbors talking. The location wasn't terrible, but I did wish we had booked the Empress instead for the premier location. There is a vending machine with a few sodas and snacks, but no bottled water. I hope they change that, but we probably will not be coming back to find out if they do.

The staff is all pretty nice but Canadians are almost always nice.

Room Tip: Room 603 has broken shower, hot and cold water are backwards. Do not use any dishes unless you wash...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank kittiesnest
OswegoHotelGManager, General Manager at The Oswego Hotel, responded to this review, 21 February 2012
Thank you for placing a review with regards to your recent stay with us. My apologies for the disatisfaction you noted in your review. Myself and my team will review all aspects of your comments and ensure that these things do not occur in the future. As noted in many other reviews we pride ourselves on our positive guest experience and we are sorry that this did not occur during your stay with us.

Unfortunately nothing had been advised of your disatisfaction to my team during your stay, even after our initial courtesy call from the front desk shortly after checkin - We would have moved you immediately into a another room to ensure that the wonderful guest experience that so many of our guests have encvountered would be upheld.

I have contacted Clipper with regards to your reservation. Please if you could contact me directly so that I can extend for you to try us again and to come back to the Oswego and for us to reinstill a wonderful guest experience with us.
San Diego, California
Reviewed 18 February 2012

We stayed here in May of 2011. Canada has a big holiday on the weekend we were there. The Oswego is close to everything in downtown Victoria. The rooms are very clean, modern, and "spa-like". The Murphy bed wasn't the greatest, but it was much better than the bed on Orca's Island. We would probably get one of the rooms with a real bed next time. We had breakfast in the hotel, and it was very nice. We would definitely stay here again, and recommend it to our friends.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
OswegoHotelGManager, General Manager at The Oswego Hotel, responded to this review, 20 February 2012
Thank you for posting a review about your stay with us last Spring.

We hope that we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Oswego soon so that you can enjoy one of our One Bedroom suites which are more spacious than a studio suite and not a murphy bed in sight.

Please let me know directly when you will be returning.
New York, NY
Reviewed 14 February 2012

Had a lovely experience at the Oswego. The 1br suite was reasonably priced and very nice. Nice view and friendly staff.

Room Tip: Ask for something facing the back if you hate noise. There is a road out front and if you are sensit...
1 Thank Balazy
Thank you for taking the time to post a positve review about your recent stay with us.

We really hope that you come back and visit us again soon. We will make sure that your suite is on the side that you like.
Canada
Reviewed 14 February 2012

Ate Christmas Dinner at the Oswego Hotel, did not stay there. The choice for Christmas Dinner was turkey with all the trimmings or salmon and at a very reasonable price, I think it was $40 for the 3 course meal. I had the salmon, my dinner partner the turkey. I tried both and both were made exactly how you would expect either to be. I had creme brule for dessert and a nice port and was equally satidfied.

The service was pleasent and professional and the atmoshpere very nice, easily found parking seeing as it was a holiday but perhaps may be a challange through out regular business hours. Only negative I'd have to give is that we were seated near a wall of California shutters which, really needed some dusting.

Left with a good feeling, and would go back again!

Room Tip: Ask for window or fireplace side.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
Thank you for recently posting a review about your Christmas O Bistro experience with us. We are so pleased that you had a great time in the bistro with good food and ambiance.

The bistro is a great part of the Oswego and our Chef and his team are dedicated to providing excellent consistant cuisine for breakfast, lunch and dinner for our guests. We also offer all of our guests in room dining too. The O Bistro is evolving in the vibrant Victoria food scene and its becoming recognized for the the good quality we provide.

We hope to be able to welcome you back soon.