“Don't stay at this place!”
Review of Turtle Hostel

Turtle Hostel
Turtle Hostel
Zurich, Switzerland
“Don't stay at this place!”
Reviewed 13 December 2011

It is the worst hostel I have ever stayed at. The rooms and bathrooms are everything else than clean, the owner was unfriendly never responded in time, just do NOT stay at this hostel! We were 7 travellers in a group staying at this hostel in 2010.

Room Tip: Stay at another hostel.
  • Stayed January 2011, travelled with friends
5 Thank MooseScout

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 10 September 2011

If you want to enjoy beautiful Victoria don't stay here. The owners are rude and just want your money. They seem to have invented a fee for everything so even though it's the cheapest hostel in Victoria- the fees make it just as expensive. The owner wouldn't even let us store our bags on our final day so we could walk around without a $2 charge and it was just a tiny over night bag!!! Not only that but their English is terrible so it is very frustrating trying to make them see sense in their money-hungry madness.
As for the rooms, there were holes in the wall, the beds were tiny and the mattresses were covered in vinyl which are so loud and sleep disturbing!
Do yourself a favour and pay the extra $5 or whatever it is to stay at another hostel- it will prevent you plotting murder later on.

Room Tip: Call another hostel
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
7 Thank dune707

Travellers are raving about these Victoria hotels

Berlin, Germany
Reviewed 26 August 2011

This is a horrible place. The location is excellent but it's dirty, the lady in the office is rude, my bed was too small, the bathrooms are gross and it really spoiled my three days in Victoria.

• Stayed August 2011
6 Thank E17fella
Riedstadt, Germany
Reviewed 5 August 2011

The bath and the kitchen are very dirty in this Hostel - nasty!! The cabinets in the kitchen are full of dirt and dust, so we didnt want to use them. There is no one, who makes clean regular.
The owners are very curious and the beds need to be changed!!!!!!
Better you search for another Hostel in Victoria!!!!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank smp147
Augusta, Georgia
Reviewed 21 July 2011

Stayed here with 2 male friends for one night. Was originally told they had no room for a female but was then given a bunk in the room with my friends which was no problem for any of us. Check in was a nightmare with much confusion about key deposit and money. The common area was crammped and occupied by a lot of degenerate looking sorts. Fortunately we didn't really spend much time here as we got to the room late after hitting the pubs, but there was no sleep to be had. The smell in the room was unbearable even with the windows open. Everything was filthy. We all opted to skip bathing the next day and I ended up using the restroom in McDonalds because it was far cleaner. Would have been better off sleeping on the street for a night.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with friends
6 Thank galangal
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 21 June 2011

I took the ferry through the San Juans from Bellingham over to Victoria for a weekend trip and this was the only hostel I could find that had a vacancy. What a dump. I've stayed in hundreds of hostels on 4 different continents and this is the 2nd worst I've ever encountered. It's tiny, filthy, crammed, staff is rude, there is a 20$ key deposit, and it's in a dirty/bad part of Victoria. The beds are seriously old prison beds, so uncomfortable and vinyl wrapped.
I was to stay there 3 nights, after the first night I decided to pack up and leave first thing in the morning. They wouldn't refund any money for the next two nights since I'd already paid. Lame.

My advice is to stay anywhere in Victoria but here.

Stayed July 2010, travelled solo
4 Thank YellowBeetleWA
Vancouver
Reviewed 31 May 2011

I should have known better from the moment I made the reservation: I booked online, thinking that I was securing the booking with my credit card. But upon calling Shu (the owner) a few days before my trip, she said she had no reservations under my name. Shu's lack of English skills made it extremely difficult to communicate with her (it took over a minute for her to copy down my credit card number!). Then once on the phone with her it took another 10 minutes and 4 phone calls to confirm that we had a private 5-bed dorm for the 4 of us. When we got there, she tried to stick us with another traveller whom we didn't know, just because we arrived at the same time. It took her another while to understand that we actually wanted our private dorm! The hostel is small, which is fine, but most of all it is extremely dirty. The room was cramped, 3 bunk beds, 7' tall lockers (locks not provided) one table and two chairs for lack of more space. Even then it was super hard to fit two carry-on sized pieces of luggage for the 4 of us, in a -bed dorm! The mattresses were about 5'8" long (which I would know because I am 6'2"). Shu keeps separate sheets for men and women (?!?) and those were actually clean even though they most likely predated WWII. The floors were not clean and there were quite a few dust bunnies fighting all over the place.
The bathrooms were plain gross. I mean seeing silverfishes is never pleasant but the toilets were disgusting (seat, bowl, around the bowl, the tile on the wall...). We stayed 2 days and for sure the bathrooms were NOT cleaned while we were there. Shu has the audacity to post a few signs to invite you to clean after you take a shower (else "the turtles will get you!!") when she does not even do any cleaning!!!! Oh and the showers had barely any flow.
We just avoided the kitchen for our own health and safety.

In a few words, AVOID UNLESS EVERYTHING ELSE IS PACKED!

Room Tip: Avoid this gross hostel
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends