“Perfect Old School Fishand Chips”

Haultain Fish & Chips
Ranked #190 of 1,239 Restaurants in Victoria
Cuisines: Seafood, British
Reviewed 5 May 2014

It is so good, I always order 2 pieces of halibut and chips. I am very full after one piece...very generous halibut portions. I manage some of the second piece. Just do what they are supposed to do and do it well. The fish is never fishy, never overcooked. Now that I have said that, I am keeping my fingers crossed, but after so many good meals over the years, they are allowed one future screw up. But I really don't expect it.

Reviewed 28 April 2014

We stopped by for lunch and it turned out to be one of the most enjoyable places we ate on our trip to the Pacific Northwest! The open kitchen is located along the side of the restaurant and the cook was fun to joke around with. We both had halibut and chips and cole slaw. The fish was hand battered in a tasty, light breading. Would eat here again in a minute if we are ever here again! The prices were very fair considering the city. Friendly staff and a nice place to eat "with the locals"

Reviewed 5 April 2014 via mobile

Not sure I am running back to Victoria for theses fish and chips but they were good. Fish was better than the chips. Tartar sauce needs some work. Small place and very homey atmosphere. However the staff was super Bryce and when they found it we were from SC she chatted it up with us and wanted us to sign the guest book. Really friendly people.

Reviewed 11 January 2014

We used to visit Old Vic's but the last few years we hadn't enjoyed it as much. When we asked a friend who worked at our timeshare the recommendation was Haultains! And boy they didn't disappoint! We tried both Cod and Halibut and each was EXCELLENT. Sadly we found this place on our last day in town. We WILL eat again! It's a laid back atmosphere with a home-town feel; we got the impression it's a favorite among the locals in the neighborhood as many were welcomed by name. You won't be disappointed

1  Thank Shtfjysdkodgffki
Reviewed 28 November 2013

We wanted to head out of the DT Tourist area and were told that this was the place for fish and chips. It was a little bit more of a drive than we thought and when you get there, it's is a very odd little spot in a residential neighborhood. We sat in the car debating whether or not to actually go in. I am so glad we did! It's definately a little hole in the wall place when you see it and pretty rustic on the inside. Don't be fooled by this! We ordered some fried zucchini sticks and Hard Apple ciders while deciding on dinner. They were lightly breaded and very good in the dill sauce. The Ciders were delicious! I wish I could remember the maker. We ordered cods and halibut for dinner. The coleslaw was good and didn't soak the chips or fish. And the fish was AWESOME! More fish than breading!! Big portions too! They must also have great milkshakes there because we saw that most of the other patrons ordered them. On the way out when packing up the car to leave a local saw we were from out of town and asked us how dinner was we told him it was great. He was so happy to hear it and told us he had been coming since he was young and that this place was a local fave. And that they cut their own fish themselves. We will be back!

1  Thank RJ C