“Great gastronomic restaurant!”

Neighbourhood: Downtown
Cross street: Wharf Street
“Great gastronomic restaurant!”
Reviewed 10 July 2014

Tonight is the 3rd time we visit that restaurant. Each time we come back, it is always a pleasure. Without a doubt, this is the best restaurant in Victoria. If you're looking for fried cooking, forget about it because there is none. Instead, the Owner is going to come and present you his menu with a few jokes. And he'll remember you on your next visit. Every meal are carefully done. Thanks again for our wonderful meals.

403JOHN403, Owner at Restaurant Matisse, responded to this review, 11 July 2014
Dear Francois, we here at Restaurant Matisse thank you for your kind words and wish you all the best at your next post, hope to see you when you return to Victoria. Have a great time
John Owner Restaurant Matisse

United States
“Wonderful French food, great service”
Reviewed 7 July 2014

I have been to France and some of the best French restaurants in Paris. The food here is just as good or better. We had the wine pairing pre fix menu. The wines were good, and the halibut and salmon were fantastic. We also had a wonderful lobster bisque. My only suggestion is that the butter on the bread pudding was overwhelming, I think it would be better without the butter all over the bottom. Highly recommend this restaurant.

1 Thank 729travel
Toronto
“Comfortable and Satisfying”
Reviewed 6 July 2014

I joined my husband on a business trip to Victoria recently. A few trips ago, he had told me about a lovely restaurant he found that had an unbelievably good cheese soufflé. We decided to try it together! First of all, Victoria is a lovely city with an “old personality.” Matisse certainly maintains that feeling. As you walk in the door it's reminiscent of the small cafes of France. There’s a certain hustle-bustle but also a quiet calm.

Service was attentive but not cumbersome. The very knowledgeable manager handled our wine order and even had a conversation with my husband on the vineyard, winemaker, etc. They discussed vintages and had a lovely chat! Hello! I’m hungry! Although somewhat limited, the menu offers something for everyone. Of course we started which what I confirm as an unbelievably good double-baked goat cheese soufflé. I had a wonderful salmon specialty which was moist and very flavourful. My husband had the lamb which was also lovely.
Please enjoy Matisse! It’s a lovely little piece of France on the Pacific Ocean.

Bogota, Colombia
“Great meal! But it was not cheap”
Reviewed 5 July 2014

I was traveling alone, and I dined here. The prix fixe menu was superb. There are four course (soup, appetizer, main course, dessert) with many options to choose from. I had the soup of the day (a leek and potato soup with smoked oysters), a wild mushroom crepe, grilled sea bass, and an amazing creme brulee. I also asked for wine pairing for each dish. I got two amazing Alsacian wines, a Bordeaux, and a sauterne for dessert. The waiters werevery knowledgeable about the food and wine, and they explained me why they had chosen each wine for each dish I had chosen.

The restaurant was not full (Wednesday night), but it is important to make a reservation for the weekend, since the spot seems to be very popular. I found the place a bit dark, but that is a personal preference.

Overall, I had a great meal, but it was not cheap.

Visited June 2014
1 Thank aguhl
Ridgefield, Washington
“A bit lacking for "Fine Dining"”
Reviewed 3 July 2014

We were excited and looking forward to a fine French Restaurant dining experience, but were sadly disappointed with this restaurant. I can say that the service was friendly and good, however the atmosphere was a bit loud and unassuming due to its small size and location, and the food quite average. My wife and I sampled a large portion of the menu as we each had the prix fix tasting menu with additional appetizers and wine pairings. The wine pairings were a bit off for both of our palates, and literally none of the dishes hit a home run with either of us. The pricing was in line or a little less expensive for a typical top quality restaurant, however the food was actually better at our hotel at half the price.

• Visited June 2014