“Very Disappointing!!!”

Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: Downtown
Reviewed 20 April 2013

I started going to Yokohama in 1978, it used to have the best Japanese food and when they introduced sushi; the best sushi in town. I'm sad to say that is no longer the case. I went with my family (4 of us) for a birthday dinner, 3 of us ordered the all you can eat. I got my tempura vegetables without the sauce, my gyoza without the sauce, and trying to get service....what service? When we finally got our food the hostess/server asked us if we got our food, when we replied "yes" she walked away without asking if we wanted anything else! The staff was pleasant enough, but seemed indifferent about the restaurant! The tempura batter was too heavy, teriyaki sickly sweet and tonkatsu pork tough!! The sushi was decent but not the high calabre it once was....sorry to say we won't be back. It's sad!!

Reviewed 13 April 2013

My friends and I decided to try the "all you can eat menu". We enjoyed the seating atmosphere because the booths were separate and we could chat. Service was ok , the ladies were nice but seemed like they could have used a hand when the restaurant was full. We ordered a bunch of appetizers they were all good but nothing exciting. We then ordered a bunch of maki rolls , some were good others very sloppy . California roll was disgusting and we couldn't even eat it. Overall it wasn't bad but wasn't anything special , we may return as it was good value as far as quantity for the price $25 not including beverages.

Reviewed 10 February 2013

OK , I have been coming here since 1985 . It was always my second favorite Sushi in town .
It has changed over the years . It is a shadow of what it was .
You can be seated here and sit for half an hour with no service .
They have an all you can eat deal but the catch is there is no one to serve you .
The quality of the food was average at best . Spend a little more and go to Yoshi.

Reviewed 20 January 2013

I have visited this restaurant several times over the past ten years and on my last visit I found the food to have slipped in its quality and tastiness. I had the Bento Box with tempura and beef teriyaki for my entree choices. The tempura was crisp but the sauce was flavorless, really only brown, salty broth. The beef was in a sauce that tasted as though the cornstarch had not been completely cooked. The steamed vegetables consisted of tired broccoli and an enormous chunk of carrot. The best part of the meal was the miso soup starter.
All this being said, The service was gracious and prompt but the meal was disappointing.

Reviewed 11 December 2012

You can order off the menu, but there is an all-you-can-eat option for $24.95 that is definitely worth it (it doesn't take long to eat $25 worth of Japanese food). Miso soup and sunomono salad are good. Not a great selection of sushi (padded with things like beef or chicken teriyaki sushi), but the sauces make all the difference for the cooked items: tempura dipping sauce, agedashi tofu sauce, teriyaki sauce, and gyoza sauce are all excellent (nothing is worse than taking a well-cooked item and dipping it in a bland or unappetizing sauce). Shiki Sushi has a better selection, but the prices are higher and the sauces aren't as good. Like Shiki, this is all-you-can-eat, rather than buffet style; that means food is ordered and served.

Note: it is good to know in advance whether a concert is going on at the Royal Theatre; if there is, arrive before 5:30 p.m. or after 7:30 p.m., otherwise the restaurant is too busy for optimal service.

Here are the buffet items:
APPETIZERS

Tonkatsu (Pork Cutlet)
Chicken Teriyaki

TOFU & NOODLES
Agedashi Tofu
Yaki Tofu (Stir-Fried Tofu)
Beef Udon (Noodle Soup)
Yaki Noodle (Stir-Fried Noodle)

SOUPS
Shabu Soup (Chicken Broth)
Miso Soup (Soy Bean Paste)

SALADS
Sunomono Salad (Noodles)
Green Salad w/house dressing
Cabbage Salad w/house dress.

DESSERTS