“Great Service and Ambiance.”

John's Place Restaurant
Ranked #10 of 1,235 Restaurants in Victoria
Good for: Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Downtown
Reviewed 12 April 2014

Our party of three stumbled upon John's Place for an early dinner and remembered about the place watching The Food Network, so we figured that we had to try it. The ambiance is fun and eclectic, service was friendly if a little spaced out at times, but the effort was definitely there. We started off with a poutine appetizer which was superb with real cheese curds and a very generous portion, but then things veered off a bit as both of my partners ordered the butter chicken which came with mashed potatoes instead of rice because they had forgotten to get the rice cooking. And honestly, the butter chicken was mediocre by any standard, but to be honest, you don't generally come to a diner/dive joint like this for butter chicken, right? Both of my companions agreed in hindsight that they could have made a better choice.

My meal was different - I ordered the meatloaf (of course), which was very tasty. The portion was reasonable, I wouldn't classify it as generous, but given the inexpensive cost I had nothing to complain about. I felt the vegetables were a little underdone. We finished off by sharing a monstrous ice-cream sundae which was also fun and nostalgic.

We got a more senior server when the butter chicken came out who was repeatedly apologetic about the lack of the rice, and to the restaurant's credit they comped both of those items. Overall, a fun vibe with solid diner selections, stay away from the butter chicken and stick with the old-school favourites like meatloaf and burgers! We would go back and recommend for those looking for a fun experience and good value on their meal.

12chef, Owner at John's Place Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 14 April 2014

I'm very sorry for the mishap. You shouldn't have been served mashed potatoes with butter chicken, it was only a 12 minute wait for rice but you were not advised. That recipe comes from Rawinder, who is from New Delhi and has worked for me for 15 years. It is a little milder than some are accustomed too! I'm glad you enjoyed the place and try us again the next time you are in town.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,239)

Reviewed 5 April 2014 via mobile

My partner and myself are from the UK and so are very familiar with brunch and the full English breakfast. Johns place came in high regard from friends and online reviews so we popped in one morning. From the moment we entered until we left we were given nothing but fantastic service. Our servers name was Deborah who was fantastic at engaging in polite conversation in a friendly and welcominging manor whilst seeing to all out needs. We had some great breakfast smoothies and mamosas to start off with. My partner then had the renown waffles which were so light and full of flavour. I went for the pop eye bennie(bacon & spinach). The first half/first egg was perfect but the other was slightly undercooked which Deborah apologised for greatly and another replacement was brought out within 5 minutes and was perfect, amazing flavour. When the bill came I was very surprised to see that I had not been charged for my eggs bennie at all, because of the 1 undercooked egg. I had presumed a slight discount fe our bill but no Deborah took it all off. This is a must easy breakfast restaurant that prides itself in customer service around a fantastic selection of breakfast dishes to enjoy. Will definitely come again.
Chris and Steph

Reviewed 29 March 2014

We heard about the meat loaf at John's Place. I never order meat loaf when I dine out but a chef on TV said it was the best ever meat loaf. It's a must try. It is the BEST.

Reviewed 27 March 2014

We were in town for a National sporting event and it is always challenging finding a place that will cater to large groups...John's Place accepted our reservation a couple of weeks before and followed up the day before. Everything was set up for us (30 ppl) and ready when we arrived. The service was fantastic and quite speedy for the size of group. The menu has such variety that everyone found something they liked (gluten-free, vegetarian, kids meals, etc.) and everyone enjoyed what they had! Plus the menu prices are so affordable!!!

I highly recommend this restaurant for a relaxed, enjoyable meal with friends and family. Also, a couple people went back over the week for the breakfast and really enjoyed it as well.

Reviewed 24 March 2014

Can not remember since when I became a regular breakfast place for John's place. We almost go to there every month, their food is always fresh and good. I really enjoy the Sunday morning time with my favorite burger and newspaper.