“Good Food”

Good for: Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Downtown
Reviewed 5 June 2014

We ate here June 4, 14, at about 6:45pm. Being Wednesday, there was no rush and we were seated immediately.

We had a hard time making a choice. The meal comes with some very delicious homemade bread and butter.

I chose the PEROGIES ‘N’ UKRAINIAN SAUSAGE ($9.95). Ten potato cheddar perogies sautéed with bacon and onions and served with grilled Ukrainian sausage and sour cream on the side.

The perogies tasted pretty good but the potato was slightly bland. When something is sautéed I expect that the outside will be at least slightly toasted. These perogies had almost no evidence of sautéing.
The sausage was excellent. However, there were only 3 pieces which “averaged” a maximum 2” diameter by 1/4” thick (5 x .65cm). A little short on meat in my opinion.

My wife chose their signature dish CHICKEN ‘OOPA’ ($15.50). A double breast of chicken, stuffed with feta cheese and sliced almonds. Sautéed in butter with fresh mushrooms, lemon and a touch of honey. Served with fresh vegetables and either pasta, mashed potatoes, or Jasmine rice.

The chicken was pretty good though just a tad dry. The feta cheese was a large block as opposed to sprinkled pieces and the stuffing as a whole was uneven. Not sure how much one can do to make it even though. We both thought it was good overall.

My wife does not like mushrooms, but the sauce was pretty good. I liked the mushrooms and sauce.

The broccoli was cooked perfect, the carrots slightly crisp.

The mashed potatoes were delicious.

We had hoped to try their apple pie but did not have enough room for even a bite.

My wife also tried a glass of “JOHN’S PLACE SANGRIA” ($5.95). Red wine, triple sec, brandy, cranberries and fresh orange topped with bubbly soda! Instead of soda water,she requested 7Up which made it sweet and delicious; just right!

Overall it was a good meal, the service was good, and we both enjoyed it. We expected better however.

1  Thank clevel60
There are newer reviews for John's Place Restaurant

Reviewed 27 May 2014

Wonderful, funky institution. Worth the walk up to Pandora St. Had the Chicken Burrito Ole for breakfast along with a latte. Both excellent. Extensive breakfast menu with multiple versions of eggs Benedict, plus waffles and pancakes. Lunch and dinner menus also look good.

Reviewed 23 May 2014

We dined at John's Place for breakfast. It was the day of the annual Victoria Day parade, so the place was packed. Although the restaurant was full, we managed to be seated at a table in what we felt was a very short time. The meal was worth the wait. This is a place you really must visit in Victoria. The meals are well priced and the portions are sizeable. Half serves of some dishes are available (I had a half serve of Eggs Benedict which was perfect for me). The staff were very friendly and efficient. The photo memorabilia covering the walls is worth a look on its own.

Reviewed 22 May 2014

We have been to John's Place for breakfast many times over the years & have never been disappointed. Have been for lunch twice recently & the food & service as always was excellent - love the Oriental Chicken Salad on a tortilla bowl & also the Thai Spring Rolls. Large menu, great food, good portions & try & save space - or come back - for a slice of one of their delicious pies or cheesecakes! Veggie & GF options. Eat where the locals eat is always a good motto! The prices are good too & the service friendly & efficient.

1  Thank IndigoJT
Reviewed 19 May 2014

I was fortunate to eat here several times, while I visited the area. My meals were massive, satisfying and worth the wait! The Chai Lattes are fantastic, while the omelets are huge! The added touch of home comes in the form of warm, baked loaf slices with a hint of Rosemary and slices of pie. Simply delicious!