“Sod-Sai Thai Restaurant - two thumbs up!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Waitstaff
Neighbourhood: Downtown
Victoria, Canada
“Sod-Sai Thai Restaurant - two thumbs up!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2012

This is one of my favourite restaurants in Victoria! Good food, reasonable prices, and the kitchen accommodates food allergies. I work close by and eat there often.

Tip: it can get busy during lunch hour - if you're in a hurry call ahead to place your order. They'll have it ready in ~ 10 min, which is nearly the time it takes to walk there to pick it up.

• Visited June 2012

Victoria, Canada
“Delicious Thai food in Victoria”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2012

I love Thai food and I love this simple little place. Great food every time, whether you go alone or with a friend. My first try was with a small group of seven or eight. This was good experiment for a beginner like me, it meant I could check what my co-eaters ordered and how they ate it. This was as large a group as they could handle since the place is very small, so we called ahead of time to ensure there was room for us.

For what level of spiciness to order, it is "mild" for me.

They tend to have a bit of turnover of servers, (of which there is only one) but there really is not much the server can do wrong anyway, whether they are new or not. The cook is the one who matters here.

It is a small place, and very no-frills. Lunch is +/- $10 excluding tax/tips. Take-out or eat-in.

• Visited April 2012
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Mediocre food - terrible service”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 December 2011

I would have forgiven the food (which was bland, salty and greasy) if it hadn't been for the awful service. The young man serving replied when we asked him what the specials were "Uh, I dunno....sushi something?" He brought us the wrong food (and brought my friend the dish I had ordered BUT it included prawns which I'd specifically requested be left out as I'm allergic.) We sent the first order back and when my dish came, it was salty and greasy fried rice with barely a trace of curry paste (I later found it hiding in a huge clump under a piece of carrot). There were very few vegetables. My friend's dish was rice noodles with prawns and sparse vegetables except for the bed of iceberg lettuce upon which it was served.

The whole experience was unpleasant. The chef was helpful trying to fix the problems but it was clear that the server was terribly confused, disengaged and had no experience or training.

This was my second visit, the first time I had take out and it was not awful but it the food was greasy and nothing special.

• Visited December 2011
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Jay E
Toronto
“Delicious casual Thai”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2011

Great food every time served by warm and friendly staff. Even desert and drinks are a delight.

Nanaimo, Canada
“Good little place”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2011

A little no-frills Thai place in downtown Victoria. The Pad Thai was excellent- the sauce was tangy and flavourful without being heavy or oily. It seemed slightly cheaper than nearby Thai restaurants and the curries/stir-fries include rice (which usually costs extra).

I took my vegetarian friend here because they have a couple of vegetarian appies and the entrees can be ordered with tofu instead of meat. Unfortunately vegetarians have to avoid most soups (chicken stock) and curries (shrimp paste).

• Visited July 2011