“I have stayed in worse but also stayed in better”
Review of Schell Motel

Schell Motel
Ranked #15 of 20 Hotels in Vernon
Calgary, Canada
“I have stayed in worse but also stayed in better”
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Purpose of our trip - we were in town for a weekend and there was a large hockey tournament and a large soccer tournament the same weekend so most hotels/motels were sold out.

Location - great location, across from a grocery store (with a Starbucks) and walking distance to downtown and Polson Park.

Surrounding Area - there was enough in the area to satisfy your food cravings but if you are looking for major retail shopping or fast food outlets, you will not find it here. Felt safe enough walking around but we have a small child with an early bedtime so we were not out at night.

Amenities - the motel has a heated pool which was actually really nice. It might not have a 'fancy hotel pool' look but it was sure refreshing. Our room also had a small fridge which we used a lot. On the downside, I could not get the wifi to work in my rook so I had to sit outside if I wanted to do anything internet related which was not convenient at all.

Staff - staff was non-committal to helping us. They were not rude or bad, just almost not into it if that is a way to describe it.

Room - average in size with a bed, 2 tables/chairs, tv and a fridge and the furniture was actually quite nice. We even had room to set up a pack n play for our child. The bathroom and shower were average as was the comfort of the bed. Noise level was good as we didn't hear much noise.

Overall - be fully prepared as this is by no means a fancy motel. Yes it needs some upgrades, yes it might not be fully cleaned every day and yes you could smell smokers on occasion but if you are ok with that then this could be the place for you. If we return we would likely shop around and see what else is out there.

Thanks for reading...hoped it helped...safe travels

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank CanadaTravelGuy_9

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Prince Rupert, Canada
Reviewed 16 May 2014 via mobile

I stayed with my 2 kids and father for an evening in 2 separate rooms. Both were very clean with lots of updates (windows, furniture). It is an older place but they seem to be making improvements! The staff was very friendly and helpful and the rooms were extremely affordable!

• Stayed May 2014
4 Thank darrylann111
Reviewed 24 February 2014

Room 108, I was surprised by the room when I walked in as it was well laid out and had most of the stuff more expensive rooms have. The bed was comfortable, the room was warm and had space around the bed. There was a desk in a small alcove, but the plug outlet was on the other side of the TV and an extension cord would be required to get power to the desk. The handle that turned the water on in the tub was not properly attached. Some road noise came in but it was not loud or objectionable.

Room Tip: On a busy road so the further from the road the better.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 13 October 2013

I maybe a bit harsh but you need to know. Breakfast (free) provides a very basic meal. The beds are soft and my room was clean (other from our group weren't) In need of an upgrade. Good location to the Schubert center (walk across the street). All i can say is its better than nothing.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends

Travellers are raving about these Vernon hotels

Canada
Reviewed 24 September 2013

I stayed at the Schell Motel for 4 days. I was in Vernon to attend my 50-year high-school reunion and there were several of us staying there. We chose the Schell because it was just across the street from where our function was being held. The motel is clean, the beds are wonderful - all new. I had a little kitchenette unit with a seperate bedroom, couch, occasional seating, table & chairs,a large fridge, all the dishes I would need etc. All our untis were very clean and attended to - no complaints there at all. The pool there is heated which is a bonus. And we spend most of our time in the pool -water was very clean. I found that over all the motel needs a facelift. The wooden doors to the rooms had only a key to get in and many of us spent several minutes wiggling and jiggling our keys and doorknobs trying to get into our rooms. The rooms did have a deadbolt but nothing other than that - so I think the owner needs to replace all the old doors and put in a card-system. A lot of the windows don't have screens so you can't open them as bugs will come in - so those need to be replaced. We were all leaving on Monday the 16th and were told that the pool was closing that day - it was still 29 degrees - which seemed to be funny to close the pool for the season when the weather was so good. There was also a fellow power washing the cement deck of the pool which made trying to visit virtually impossible. There is excellent seating, table with umbrellas around the pool also a hot tub, seperate BBQ areas with BBQ's The staff at the Schell can't do enough to help and whatever we neede be it more sugar,coffee etc, or directions they were just excellent. I would stay here again but would hope by the next visit that the owner will have spent some money on doing some renovations to the Motel.

Room Tip: spend a little extra $$$ and ask for a room with a kitchenette by the pool - they're alittle bit...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
san jose Costa Rica
Reviewed 19 September 2013

another motel owned presently by people who seem to know nothing about the hospitality biz... and probably don't care. I used to live in town in summers and only came back to visit an aging , ill friend (who lives close by) and retrieve some of my property in storage. There must be 20 brand names within less than a mile of this place... there were barely 10 rooms occupied here and the price of about 90 bucks with all the 'ST's is outrageous. VERY small room.. bad smell (I'm sure they've had smokers here). This is a good fifty bucks a night place masquerading as a near$ 100... I can say I wouldn't stay here again if it WAS fifty. I'll be staying for several days on this trip and will be checking out in the morning and finding something else nearby which at least smells better. Electrical needs updating... if you want to plug in your laptop.. you either have to do without the light.. or unplug the clock... always a sign of an el cheapo.

Room Tip: there is no good room
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 15 September 2013

We checked into this little motel late on our way through Vernon. We didn't expect too much - it isn't fancy which was fine - it was only one night. However, we do expect accommodation to be clean. And this place is NOT. The towels even had mascara on them and didn't appear to have even been washed. The bathroom was dirty as were the carpets. Filthy. We wouldn't stay here again. And to top it off, the air conditioner was so loud that we couldn't sleep. The mattress was reasonably comfortable.
The gentleman at the front desk was friendly.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple