“Beautiful resort”

Strand Lakeside Resort
Calgary, Canada
“Beautiful resort”
Reviewed 26 August 2012

We stayed here in a 2 bedroom unit for five nights with our kids and my wife's parents. The units are gorgeous, with great kitchen appliances, king beds in the bedrooms, and the unit had a nice balcony with a view over the courtyard. With the hide-a-bed in the couch, it slept all of us comfortably.

Our kids loved the pool, and we also enjoyed the hot tub. The beach on the lake is okay -- the water is warm and fairly clear, but it was a little weedy (we went in late August). Our kids swam in the lake a little bit. The resort had paddleboats to use which our kids enjoyed, and there was a dock with boat-slips (though we personally didn't have a boat).

I have been at two other Interval Resorts - one in California and one in Virginia - and of those three, the Strand Resort was by far the nicest!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Brad J

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Kamloops, Canada
Reviewed 24 July 2012

We stayed 2 nights in a 2 bed condo; VERY expensive esp. given the fact we were overlooking the road and not the lake. It seemed pretty quiet for a mid-July weekend so, thankfully, the small-ish pool area was not overcrowded. Apparently the beach is not for swimming from which was a little disappointing.

Room Tip: Ask for a lake view ... the road view rooms are not too inspiring.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank WannabeTravelMum
North Bay
Reviewed 18 April 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Strand for 2 months January and February 2012, we enjoyed a 2 bedroom plus Den facing the lake. The accomodation exceeded our expectation.
The Service Manager Zelda and her staff went out of their way to make our extended stay a home away from home. We have booked for an other two months next year, and would not hesitate recommending staying at the Strand to our family and friends.
Robert and Shelley Poirier

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Robert p
Kelowna, Canada
Reviewed 21 December 2011

What a shame! Such a beautiful resort, but quickly going down hill...Sorry, but the word "Resort" shouldn't be in the title, its deceiving. A resort usually has plenty of staff who jump at the chance to address your every need. Not here. There wasn't anyone around. We didnt' see one staff member the three days we were there. It was like it was deserted.

There was one person in the suite "show home" (where you go to check in) and she was rude and dismissive at best. And the show suite was surprisingly dusty and dirty. There was a table there full of broshures and it was covered in dust. I got a bit concerned and thought to myself, "is this what we had to look forward to in our room?" Yup!! You bet it was! The cleaning crew (if they even have one) should be fired. We found two mice traps with the words "Orkin" on the floor in the living room, the TV was dusty, the inside of the fridge had stuck on stuff on the glass left over from other guests. My best guess, it was raspberry jam. There was dust in every corner and cobwebs above the fireplace.

Our room was well appointed however with a nice sitting area, lovely bathrooms, a beautiful kitchen and was even equipped with in suite laundry! Thank God the sheets were clean and the bed, very comfortable. We found the common areas in need of some SERIOUS attention. Snowy footprints on the tiles, fingerprints in the elevator, bugs on the outside glass that were stuck in cobwebs, dust and debris on the carpet in the hallways, garbages not emptied in the pool area changerooms and soap scum by the sinks. The elevators smelled funky too - we decided that is had to be vomit. This place needs a good vaccum. What a disappointment. Go somewhere else.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank zorka3500
Wetaskiwin, Canada
Reviewed 13 October 2011

I booked with The Strand because I had always been curious about it. To start, if you show up in the evening or on a weekend you have to fend for yourself because there is NO ONE working there. So we had forgotten our code to get our room key in Alberta and it took several calls to finally get a hold of someone to give us to code. So I finally got a hold of the manager and she was all snappy and rude on the phone. So we finally got our key and went to our room.

When we booked we were told about the $100 housekeeping fee when you check out - so when we got to our room we were choked to see the room fairly dirty (the kitchen especially). We wiped a cloth along the greecy fridge and it came up black.. as did the floor.

When we checked out there was still no one working there so I had to call later on in the day to physically ask for a room receipt for tax purposes. So the manager emailed me a scanned copy of the receipt that looked like it was scanned with the lid open and the shadows made it look really shotty and unprofessional - not something I wanted to hand over to my accountant.

So I emailed her back asking her to mail me a copy of the receipt and rather than trying to make the customer happy she told me to print it out and just try it. So I emailed her my mailing address and then heard nothing for a week.

A week later I asked her if she mailed it again and she shot back a very rude email saying she hadn't and I had never given her my email - which is false. She should probably check her email a little more thoroughly.

Overall, the "resort" is a nice property - but the management is going to drive that place into the ground.

If you are going to Vernon, BC I would highly recommend Sparkling Hill or Predator Ridge - very well managed, classy places to stay with actual friendly people working there. AND you don't have to run around in circles to get a simple receipt.

Room Tip: Dirty rooms, Rude management!
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
vancouver
Reviewed 24 July 2011

Unforturnately, even though this is a lovely lakeside property, I can't give it a good review.Check-in was a disaster - the key didn't work, and it took the office over an hour to finally figure out what was wrong. In the meantime, out 2 year old was hungry and tired after a five hour car ride. The 2 bedroom unit we had was in need of a good clean - very dusty, fingerprints on the mirrors, the fridge wasn't very clean, blood spots on the duvet (ewww!), mold growing on the deck ... needless to say, we felt we did not get good value considering the lakeside unit rents for $500 a night. (Plus they charge a $135 cleaning fee upon departure - obviously the cleaning crew missed this unit!!) On top of that, the people above us let their kids run around at all hours, and it sounded like a herd of elephants overhead. But the icing on the cake was the poop in the pool - yes, "poop" ... which was scooped out and tossed in the gardens edging the pool fence. We did not use the pool for the last 3 days of our trip. This property could definitely use a better management team who are there on the property 24/7 to make sure that there are better standards for upkeep and cleanliness.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank VancouverWestwind
Tacoma, Washington
Reviewed 29 June 2011

I LOVED going to the Strand resort. I am eager to return next summer. The rooms are comfortable and stylish, the service is friendly, the view is stunning, and it felt like home.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family