“Highly Recommended Getaway” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 20 Hotels in Vernon
Victoria, Canada
“Highly Recommended Getaway”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 October 2012

Outstanding views, beautiful, clean rooms. Included is a very good breakfast and great spa's and pools. Our meals at the restaurant were very good if not a bit pricey. This is a calm, quiet adult oriented resort for those who want to relax and rejuvenate. I noticed only a few well behaved children. Service was pleasant. Beds are the memory foam type. I really appreciated not being "nickeled and dimed" as valet parking, wi-fi, breakfast, access to spa's and even bottled water were included. Excellent value at off season rates. We highly recommend as a relaxing getaway for couples.

Room Tip: Lakeside view is breathtaking though other side is quite nice and the room was bigger.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank TucsonGrant

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (710)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Vancouver, BC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2012

I recently visited Sparkling Hill Resort on a work retreat. The views are amazing. The rooms are spacious, clean, comfortable and designed beautifully. The spa is large with many steam rooms and saunas that are complementary with your stay, as are the pools. The golf course (I hear as I do not golf) is challenging, but all the golfers I was with loved it. And it looks stunning.

The only down side, which is a big one, is the food. We were not impressed. We had buffets set up for breakfast and lunch that were ok. The soups were aweful. We had one sit down dinner, my beef sirloin was overcooked and dry - couldn't eat it. We also had a pea soup, not sure what else was in it but it had a floral taste (couldn't eat it, and I was not the only one). The restaurant Gernots, while having an amazing view and lovely decor, the food was not good. I had the steak sandwich with blue cheese, caramelized onions and mushrooms. The blue cheese (which I like and cook with often) was so over powering it was all you could taste. Also the steak was over cooked and sliced like sandwich meat slices – I had asked for it medium rare, more to the rare side. Don't think rare is an option at this resort. Overall I found the food/flavour combinations strange, none of the combinations seemed to compliment each other. The chief offered a cooking class, which I did not attend, but heard from those who did that the veal type stew dish that they made was bland with no flavour. Also the slow cooking method seemed odd for a nice cut of veal?

Everything, but the food was excellent.

Room Tip: Get a lake view room.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank MiTravel_2
England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 October 2012

We had a lakeside view room and what a view. This really made the stay enjoyable, especially as the weather was very good during our time there. The room was large, bed was comfortable, you get a nice bathroom and even a bath by the window to enjoy the view from. You get a large fully opening window as well which you can sit by and look out.

We ate in the Peakfine restaurant both nights, we thought the food quality was excellent, wine selection excellent and the Okanagan grappa is a recommendation to finish off with. Surprised about some of the comments regarding quality and portion size. The food and drink are however pricey. Breakfast is ok, not a bad selection.

It is not perfect, I thought the tiles in the Spa pool area looked a bit grubby compared to the rest of the spa area and the downstairs bar service was a bit poor.

The hotel is on a steep hill, if you go for a walk around the rest of predator bridge do expect a steep climb back up. We did the difficult trail around the resort as well so there is good scope for walks.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
British Columbia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 October 2012

My girlfriends and I stayed at this resort fee a night away. We had a great time! Overall, the resort is beautiful. There are however some minior improvements that the hotel could make.

When we pulled in, there was no valet in sight and just a few spots to park in. Slightly confusing. Also not in sight, was a bell-person. At a resort of this caliber, both should be standing out front ready to assit newly arriving guests.

The rooms are very modern and have a minimalistic feel to them. We had a mountain view room, which still had a lovely view. The rooms are slightly odd for anyone that is not a couple. The shower is open to the room and the tub is in the room as well. Not really suitable for a girls weekend away, but we managed.

The pool and spa area is quite lovely. We enjoyed the saunas, however we did notice a few of the saunas were not at the temperature they were supposed to be at. I'm perplexed as to why the saunas are closed from 11-4 daily? What about the guests staying for more than one night? One thing that we were excited to try were the experience showers. To bad they were not working!!! Another dissapointment was the fact that the healing water walk was out of order. I feel that for the price we paid for the guestroom, the fact that these features were not working property was unacceptable.

Our trip ended with a 20 minute wait for an elevator, due to the fact that one was broken. In this case, they should have had a bell person on every floor helping guests down with their luggage. For a hotel of this caliber, this would not be the last impression you would want guests to leave with!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank ThorneloeFamily
CALGARY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 October 2012

Perfect place for couples with an outstanding Spa.

Only thing lacking is the food outlets and a lounge.

Main Restaurant is open for dinner but is a little pricey, it is also where buffet breakfast is served, but items provided limited and service is slow for table service for coffee and tea. Lounge was a disappointment , one or two food items, no real Menu , service slow .

With no food in Lounge it forces you to the Main Dining room for dinner whcih is again very pricey it would be nice if the hotel provided hot food in there lounge for those nights when you do not want to have something lighter and at a lower price point.

Rooms are excellant , spa is great, justs needs some work on food outlets for its guests.

John Alberta

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2012

We stayed at Sparkling Hill this summer for 5 nights for a wedding. I should mention that we booked our room at a special "wedding" rate, which made our stay a lot more affordable--though it certainly didn't change the price of the spa or dining rates. I still think the place was worth the amounts they charge, but we certainly won't be staying there on a regular basis.

The most impressive thing about this place is the location; the views of the Okanagan hills to the east and, most particularly, the views of Lake Okanagan to the west, are breathtaking. I've been visiting the Vernon area my entire life and am always struck by the lovely views of Okanagan and Kalamalka Lakes--and yet I was still blown away by the unique views from Sparkling Hill.

A few more notes about the location: the resort is situated somewhat remotely away from Vernon or Kelowna, which means going anywhere offsite is a bit of a trek. However, the drive to Vernon is only about 15 minutes and a beautiful one, and the hotel is also right beside Predator Ridge, which is great if you're travelling with a golfer, or just want to try a different restaurant for a change.

The resort itself is very nicely designed and decorated, providing you enjoy a modern style and a LOT of Swarovski crystals. The foyer, the dining room, bar, swimming pool, the terrace and the "lake view" rooms all have gorgeous views of Lake Okanagan. The hotel rooms themselves are very nice, with comfortable beds and well laid out space to store bags, etc., setup a laptop, curl up in a chair with a book, etc. My one criticism of the decor, and this is purely personal taste, is that the rooms have a few too many crystals in them--I found it verging on tacky, though the place is so nicely decorated otherwise that I still found the place beautiful. Also, the only door within each hotel room is the one to the toilet stall; so otherwise there is no sound/light barrier between the bed/living space and the sinks, shower and tub (there is a privacy wall between the bed and the shower stall). This means that if you're sharing a room with someone else who happens to be asleep when you want to shower, bath, brush your teeth, etc., you're likely to disturb them with noise/light (this also posed a particular problem for my cousin's two children, a tween girl and teenage boy, who shared a room but certainly wanted privacy from one another while changing and showering).

While staying at the resort we enjoyed the saunas and steam rooms, the views from the spa and many delicious meals in the dining room. The complimentary buffet breakfasts were really very good, with a wide variety of foods to choose from. Dinners were wonderful; the menu changed every day, and while it was not extensive, it offered some interesting choices, and the kitchen was happy to accommodate several dietary restrictions (vegetarian/celiac) on several occasions.

All-in-all, Sparkling Hill is a lovely place with good-natured staff and a great feel--I'd recommend it to anyone interested in a luxurious getaway in the Okanagan.

Room Tip: We stayed three nights in a "lake view" and 2 nights in "mountain view"; the lak...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
6 Thank CheesePleese
Vancouver
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2012

My hubby & I stayed at this resort recently courtesy of a seminar I was invited to. The resort is very impressive aesthetically with Swarovski crystals strategically laid out in the room and in the resort overall. However, it lacks some of the basic necessities that can be found even in the cheapest hotel anywhere else. For one, there is no coffee machine in the room, although coffee is available in the restaurant but only until a certain time and no selection to choose from (no decaf). Why can't I make my own coffee in my room? Why do I have to travel 2 floors down to get my 6:30 am coffee? Also, I appreciate the valet parking, but why can't I park my own vehicle? Why do I have to bother the poor, overworked staff everytime I need to access my vehicle? They call this a resort? It didn't feel like a resort to me. There's still a lot of room for improvements for this resort. Food was not that good, very small portion and nothing spectacular about it.

Room Tip: The Lake View room would be the best room. Ask for it if one is available, although I'm sure mo...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Tebebe10
Also consider these accommodations in or near Vernon
Fairfield Inn & Suites Vernon
Prestige Hotel Vernon
#6 of 20 in Vernon
Vernon Lodge and Conference Centre
The Castle at Swan Lake

Been to Sparkling Hill Resort? Share your experiences!