“Amazing Place with a few quirks”

Sparkling Hill Resort
Ranked #2 of 20 Hotels in Vernon
Calgary, Canada
“Amazing Place with a few quirks”
Reviewed 28 January 2014

We went for my birthday this weekend and we had an amazing time. The rooms were great, comfortable, room service was very fast, dinner and breakfast were incredible, (lunch menu is a bit odd and not amazing) the spa was great, lots of awesome naps in the serenity room.

BOOK YOUR SPA SERVICES VERY EARLY

A few things I noted that were odd.

- house keeping didn't replenish the minibar or clean the glassware.

- There is no where to get cash to tip people for helping you with your bags etc.

- you HAD to check out at 11 am, there was no such thing as a late checkout. I know sometimes you can't get one because they generally are offered on a first come first serve basis but I was told that they simply do not do them. This made our moring rushed because you couldn't use the spa if you aren't checked in and we had the cold sauna at 9:30 and facials at 10:45. When we got to the lobby we had to litterally drop our bags in the front lobby on a cart and leave them there because there was a line of about 30 people all checking out at once and the lovely guys that help you with your bags were super busy. Logistically this just doesn't make sense to us. Had we been able to move the checkout time our last day would have been far more relaxing. Even had we had the option to pay for a late check out we would have. Realistically when spending $4000 in two days (a gift certificate for a friends wedding gift was also purchased) I would expect to be given a late checkout without argument.

- There is nothing to grab to eat and room service is done at 10 and nothing at all available to eat after that. It would be nice if the cafe had some wraps or something you could get and bring with you if you wanted to go for a walk or something.

- Service was fantasticw ith the exception of one lady in the coffee shop on our last day.

All that being said it was an amazing time and we would definetly go back.

Room Tip: higher floors have better views.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
SparklingHill, Manager at Sparkling Hill Resort, responded to this review, 30 January 2014
Dear Kathleen,

We truly appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with us and others! Happy Belated Birthday! I am so pleased to hear that you had an amazing time, thank you for allowing us to celebrate this special occasion with you. The Serenity room is absolutely rejuvenating and it is wonderful that you were able to have a lot of naps in it! You are absolutely right, we do suggest all of our guests to book their spa services at least 2-3 weeks in advance as they do get booked up quickly.

I am however, disappointed to hear about the odd things you encountered. I apologize, housekeeping should have replenished the minibar and cleaned the glassware, I have advised our Housekeeping Manager of this.

I am concerned to hear that you were told that we generally do not do late checkouts, if available we will provide a late checkout. If we are fully booked the next day it is normally more difficult for us to provide a late checkout, I apologize that you found this to be frustrating.

We do have our Barrique & Java available which is open from 9:30am until midnight and serves some delicious coffee. It does also have a menu which is available from 11am onward which features some great sandwiches, wraps, and salads that can be made to go! I am so sorry that you were not advised of this option.

It is wonderful to hear that you found the service to be fantastic (I apologize for the lady in the coffee shop that was not as fantastic). We are very fortunate to have such dedicated and passionate team members!

Thank you again for your review and we look forward to welcoming you back!

Best Regards,

Operations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (753)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Kelowna, Canada
Reviewed 28 January 2014

All staff are very friendly and the resort is clean and well designed. We stayed one night, but would recommend at least 2 nights to fully enjoy the multitude of great pools, spas, and saunas (all included free with the room). Also, the free buffet breakfast was awesome. We will definitely go back.

Room Tip: Either lake or mountain views are still picturesque from third floor where we stayed
Dear Taylor,

Thank you for your review and for noting how friendly all of the staff were and how clean and well designed the hotel is. I completely agree with you that one needs to stay at least 2 nights to truly experience everything that we have to offer. I am so delighted that you also enjoyed the complimentary buffet breakfast!

Thank you again for your review and we greatly look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 26 January 2014

The fog settled in over the lake so the views were somewhat obscured. There must be have been some good discounts because the hotel was full over the weekend, apparently 250 guests. The spa and pool were also quite crowded, but not the mat and fitness facilities. The room we were given is still well designed but showing signs of aging, chips here and there, and the beds are softer than I remember. A major problem for sleep is light and noise pollution. You will not get a dark room: light comes through the roller bind cracks, from the back of the TV and from the main hallway through large gaps in the door frame. Moreover, noise comes easily through the door as guests walk by - in this regard, the rooms furthest from the lobby, furthest down the hallways are likely to be better as they would have less traffic. The restaurants are really subpar in terms of food selection, quality and plain tastiness, but you are a captive audience, so tough luck. The facial massage and treatment was expensive (~$120 before tax and tip) but it was excellent. Despite all the complaints, you can't complain too much, since the relatively low price includes free valet parking, breakfast, spa facility use and a relativley new TV with decent channel selection.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
SparklingHill, Manager at Sparkling Hill Resort, responded to this review, 27 January 2014
We greatly appreciate you taking the time to provide us with your review. I am glad to hear that you generally enjoyed your stay with us. I am also delighted to advise you that we are currently working on fixing the light and noise door problem. Our maintenance team is working very hard on providing a solution and we hope to have it in place by the end of February. I am sorry to hear that you found the food selection to be sub-par, our Chef's try to create a tasteful menu for all guests. Our facials are very popular and high in demand and I am so pleased that you found it to be excellent!

Thank you again for your review and we look forward to your return.

West Kelowna
Reviewed 23 January 2014

We just came back from a two night stay and we were 100% pleased with everything on the stay. The staff are all very friendly, helpful and attentive; the entire resort is amazing and almost unbelievably spotless. The breakfast in the Peak Fine restaurant was delicious and impressive, moreso as we could experience the stunning views at the same time. We chose to dine at Barrique and Java and were more than pleased with the flavorful food and exceptional service.
We are already planning a return stay, and will be highly recommending the resort to friends.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
SparklingHill, Manager at Sparkling Hill Resort, responded to this review, 24 January 2014
Dear Debi,

Thank you very much for your review. I am so pleased to hear that you were 100% pleased with everything, we hope to achieve this with all of our guests! We greatly appreciate you mentioning how attentive the staff were and how spotless the whole resort was, our Housekeeping Manager will be thrilled. Barrique & Java does have some fantastic dining options as well and I am delighted to hear that you received exceptional service.

Thank you again for taking the time to provide us with your review and for recommending us to your friends! We greatly look forward to your return.

Warm Regards,

canada
Reviewed 15 January 2014

My husband & I stayed at Sparkling Hills Jan 13th 2014. It really is a beautiful place with amazing views. I would highly recommend staying here but could not recommend the dining room. We ate there & were shocked by the prices for the portions we received. Neither one of us are big eaters & we barely had enough to eat. For a plate priced at $34.00 we expected more. What really was disappointing was the restaurant manager came over & asked how our meals were & we said the food was good but the portions were very small. We told him we ordered extra bread & planned on ordering dessert (something we normally do not do) so we probably would be full. He seemed totally disinterested with our concern & walked away without barely a remark. If the manager wasn't interested in hearing our concerns I don't understand why he would ask. This is very bad service for such a high end resort. Will probably go back to Sparkling Hills but definitely will not be going back to the dining room.

5 Thank bubblesincanada
SparklingHill, Manager at Sparkling Hill Resort, responded to this review, 17 January 2014
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us at Sparkling Hill. I am however, concerned to hear of your experience in the restaurant. I am very sorry that you found the portions to be on the small side, it is our standard that if guests advise us when they receive their meals that the portion is too small for them, we retrieve additional side dishes for them. I apologize that this was not offered to you immediately, if you informed your server that the main dishes were too small. I understand our Restaurant Manager advised you of this as well but, unfortunately, you were already finished eating your main meal and were waiting for dessert so there was little we could do at that point. I truly apologize that you found him to be disinterested, it was most certainly not his intention as I did follow up with him.

Thank you again for providing us with your feedback and I do hope you allow us to learn from this experience and return to the PeakFine Restaurant in the near future.

Invermere
Reviewed 11 January 2014

Within 5 minutes of our arrival during kids week, my 16 month old daughter wrapped blind cord around her neck and nearly choked. It's quite the feeling to be unloading your suit case and within moments of our arrival to see her dangling by the metal cords struggling for a breath. If the blind cord experience wasn't terrible enough, my daughter then caught foot fungus from our 4 days in the spa on both feet. The whirlpool looked clean on our first two days, but on the third was a nasty color of brown. Even though Houskeeping visited our room each day and made our beds, they didn't change our bedding once? We had a 3 night stay! On the second night, I had to ask the front desk for a clean sheet so I could change the bed myself because housekeeping had been to the room, made the bed again, but did not change the sheets. I wouldn't have noticed, but my daughter spilled her milk on my side of the bed so when the spill was still there, day after day I knew they had been negligent. I asked the front desk how many nights I would need to book in the future to get my bedding changed. Breakfast was disappointing, no more waffles, bacon or fruit. The fruit that was available was starting to ferment. My husband and I both ordered the duck for dinner and were both disappointed as it was rolled duck and was chewy like calamari. On a positive note, the value for what you are paying is great. The views gorgeous! However, even at the Holiday Inn, you're going to get clean bedding daily.

Room Tip: If you have toddlers, you will need to put up the blind cords so that your curious children do not s...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
13 Thank Shannon R
SparklingHill, Manager at Sparkling Hill Resort, responded to this review, 12 January 2014
Dear Shannon,

Thank you for your review. I am shocked and very sorry to hear that your 16 month old daughter had wrapped the blind cords around her neck, this must have certainly been very frightening, I do apologize that this happened. We are an adult oriented resort and therefore, do not receive a lot of this type of feedback, we greatly appreciate you advising us of this as it allows us to learn. It is very concerning to hear that your daughter caught foot fungus from our KurSpa, our floors get diligently disinfected and cleaned nightly, the steams and sauna floors even twice (during the day and at night). Our pools are also monitored continuously throughout the day to ensure all of the chemicals are balanced and safe, we have had no report of anything unbalanced or any issues.

We are an environmentally friendly hotel so do not change the sheets every day, it should have been done on the 3rd day though, I truly apologize that this did not occur, this was a mistake on our end. We have also placed in the rooms a tent card where we ask for you to please place it on the bed if you would like your linen changed prior to the 3rd day, I apologize that this was not visible in your room. Please do advise front desk next time you would like your linen changed (if housekeeping has not done so) as we do have someone available from housekeeping to come and assist you until approximately 10pm, they will gladly change your linen if would like them to, I apologize that this was not offered to you by the front desk when you spoke to them.

I am surprised to hear that you found the complimentary breakfast to be disappointing, this is not the usual feedback we receive. We have, unfortunately, not had waffles or bacon on our breakfast buffet regularly, but if you wish, you can order these items for an additional charge. I am sorry to hear that you also found your rolled duck to be disappointing, I will most certainly pass this feedback onto our Executive Chef. Please do know that if any guest lets their server know that their dinner is disappointing it is our standard to immediately replace it.

Thank you again for taking the time to provide us with your feedback and allowing us to learn, we hope to see you again in the future.

Best Regards,

Chicago, IL
Reviewed 11 January 2014

Stunning facility and views fifteen minutes outside the town of Vernon. Stayed two nights on a business trip to the Okanagan. The room (standard king) was unique with floor to ceiling glass providing amazing views of the area below, even from the shower and bath. Pricing was reasonable/negotiable due to the time of year and included a buffet breakfast. Had quite an adventure getting to the hotel. Our next winter visit will require an all-wheel drive vehicle to ensure we arrive safely at the top of the hill. The two-wheel drive compact almost didn't make the steep climbs (seriously) after a fresh snowfall. Friendly/helpful staff. Make sure you're dressed appropriately for the dining room. Couldn't get in with a sweater, cords and no collar.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank pops2
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your review. I am so delighted to hear that you enjoyed your recent business trip stay with us. Our rooms truly are unique and I am glad that you found the pricing to be reasonable. We are located just outside of Vernon on top of Mount Royce and in the winter time the road conditions can become a challenge, the city always tries to ensure that our road is cleared well as it knows we have some steeper areas. We have implemented a “smart casual” dress code in our PeakFine Restaurant but we do make exceptions as not all guests are aware of the new dress code yet, I truly apologize if you were not let in, I will pass this feedback onto our Restaurant Manager.

Thank you again for your review and we do hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Operations Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Vernon
Prestige Hotel Vernon
#4 of 20 in Vernon
Central City
Best Western Plus Kelowna Hotel & Suites
Predator Ridge Resort
#6 of 20 in Vernon

Been to Sparkling Hill Resort? Share your experiences!