“Sparkling Hill Mother's Get-Away”

Sparkling Hill Resort
Ranked #2 of 20 Hotels in Vernon
Abbotsford, Canada
“Sparkling Hill Mother's Get-Away”
Reviewed 13 May 2014

I just had to write something about this beautiful resort. 4 of us (all mom's) went to this resort over Mother's Day and had an amazing time. We've all known each other for over 30 years and decided it was time we got away and reconnected with each other. This was the perfect spot for that. We enjoyed all the sauna's, the pools and the food. We were warned that there was a 'European hour' which was fine with us, and really, there weren't all that many people participating anyway. It was extremely relaxing the whole time we were there (3 days). The room we shared had 2 queen beds, and a beautiful view of Okanagan Lake. The room seemed to be really for only 2 people since it was fairly open, with the toilet having the only room with a door and only 2 hooks for robes and zero hooks for drying towels on. This is a resort full of several varieties of saunas, and it is expected that people will be walking around with robes and towels to and from the spa portion of the hotel, so it was mildly disappointing to not get a dry/new towel and robe before the evening jaunt to the sauna's and pools. And a bit surprising to have robes with holes in them around the pockets.
The rooms were all neat and clean, and the whole place just sparkled with crystals hanging from the ceiling, covering walls, and even embedded in the backs of chairs. And on a sunny day, they were breathtaking.
A few mistakes were made by staff when ordering room service, but was quickly rectified when calling again. Other than that, the staff were extremely cheery, helpful and very well mannered.
We ate at dinner there as well, and it was extremely delicious! There was a dress code, and we were worried about our open-toed shoes, but no one said a word. Through the dinner we noticed there was even someone wearing jeans, so I guess the dress code isn't enforce very well.
All in all, we all felt very relaxed and didn't want to leave. Can't wait to try it with my husband one day.

Room Tip: I can't image a bad room in this place, but I suggest getting one with a lake view. Also, the su...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Cris_Mac02052014
SparklingHill, Manager at Sparkling Hill Resort, responded to this review, 13 May 2014
Dear Cris,

Thank you for your review! I am so glad that you took the time to provide us with your feedback of your Mother’s Day getaway with your 4 friends. It is most excellent that all of you enjoyed the saunas, pools and the food and found your time with us to be extremely relaxing. This is how we want all of our guests to feel! All of our rooms are the same and do have an open layout with a beautiful view of course and it is mainly set up for 2 guests though we are always happy to accommodate more. We do have a new order of robes coming in and they should be here the last week of May.

I apologize for the mistakes that were made by staff when ordering room service but am delighted to hear that they were quickly rectified, all guest experiences allow us to learn and improve so we appreciate you sharing this with us.

Thank you so much again and we look forward to welcoming you back for another relaxing visit with your friends or husband!

Operations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (722)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Alberta
Reviewed 12 May 2014

I was surprised with a weekend excursion to this Spa and was so totally impressed with all the wonderful and amazing staff just for starters! I was treated so special as soon as I walked through the front door by great front desk employees. Taken to my room and was again impressed. Beautifully done and caters to total relaxation and takes into consideration your wants and needs for that little extras. Meals were filling and perfectly done, not wanting for anything more and just pleasantly full ,not over-stuffed. The spa offers all that you could want and need for the total me weekend get-away. Again....the staff was amazing! I really can't emphasize how friendly everyone was. Loved that they weren't't pushing their products,more concerned with my treatment and me. Pools and steam rooms were again a pleasant surprise. Nothing left to want as all was offered. I would definitely return again and again. I highly recommend this Spa for all to experience a total relaxing pampering time. By the way did I mention the wonderful staff....lol...I give great credit to an amazing General Manager of such an amazingly run hotel...Thank you Hans-Peter....for a wonderful weekend....can't wait till next time!

Room Tip: We overlooked the Lake and the view was take your breath away....so beautiful but all around was so...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank shouldabeen
SparklingHill, Manager at Sparkling Hill Resort, responded to this review, 12 May 2014
We greatly appreciate you taking the time to provide us with your feedback regarding your most recent stay. What an absolutely fantastic surprise weekend excursion! Thank you so much for mentioning how wonderful all of the staff are, we are very fortunate to have such passionate and dedicated team members who strive to make very guests stay memorable and unique! I am so delighted that you were able to experience all of the different areas of the hotel including the beautiful KurSpa and delicious PeakFine restaurant! We are very fortunate to have such an excellent and supportive General Manager.

Thank you again and we also cannot wait until next time!

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 12 May 2014

Just got back from a girls weekend, Thurs-Saturaday. We booked only 4 days ahead, Spa services were very booked up. We did manage to get squeezed in for Facials, but really wanted massages and some wrap treatments, but apparently needs to be booked way in advance. Personally, I think they should have more part time staff to accommodate during peak times, considering the huge expansive spa this place has. Room after room after room...Very impressive. The Rose sauna and the Salt sauna were personal faves... The Serenity room was the best room in the house, considering the views and its use.

Personal Shout-out to Justin, who almost had me sold on the -110 Ice Lab...I will try it when I go back, just have to work up the courage for this innovate treatment. People were commenting on what a great experience it was.

The Food, I had heard was hit and miss. Went for a late night dinner (9pm last seating). Can I just say, my dinner was EXCELLENT. I could not have asked for better. It was shirmp lemon risotto, that tasted like heaven, followed by raspberry chocolate bar for dessert. I rate it an eleven, for sure.

The rooms, simply put...Spectacular. (I think they are couple only rooms tho) I could be wrong.

My only complaint, was the gift shop. Considering this is a Swaroski Resort, I just thought they would have more inventory...alot more inventory...not even single crystals can be purchased...Shop girl was very easy to deal with and professional.

An excellent spa getaway for couples...Not a family-type place in my opinion...especially with European hour in the Spa during late evening. I would not hesitate to book again...

Room Tip: The late night Java bar, is NOT the Bar!! it's one more level down. The mountain View, is recom...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you so much for your excellent review! I am so pleased that you had such a great time on your girls’ weekend. I am glad to hear that you found our rooms to be spectacular, they are beautiful and so is the view! You are right, our spa services do get booked up quickly and we do suggest to book at least 2 weeks in advance. It is wonderful that the spa was able to still provide you with some treatments. We are currently working on hiring more staff for the summer season. The Rose and Salt Sauna’s are very popular and I am glad that you enjoyed them so much!

Thank you for specifically mentioning Justin, he will be thrilled you mentioned him by name and I also highly recommend trying the -110C Cold Sauna when you return!

I am very happy to hear that you found your dinner to be excellent! Our Chef’s will be excited to hear this as well.

I am, however, sorry that you felt disappointed with our Gift Shop, we try to carry a variety of inventories so there may be something special for every guest.

Thank you again for taking the time to provide us with your review and I greatly look forward to welcoming as a return guest!

Grand Forks, Canada
Reviewed 8 May 2014

This is the first time I have ever written a review on anything, but, I feel compelled to write this.
My husband and I just came back from a truely incredible, 2 night stay at this amazing Resort.
After only 3 hrs. leaving home, I discovered heaven!!
Upon arrival, we were courteously, and promply checked in, and the valet staff was jovial and very efficient.
The King Superior room with lake view was totally to die for!!! We were very impressed by the prompt phone call after being in the room 10 minutes. The front staff asking how everything is, and to call if anything is needed.
We found the meals and service at both of their Restaurants outstanding!!
The saunas and pools were so relaxing, a holiday that we just needed. The reception staff was always acknowledging our presence with a hello, be it getting off the elevator, to coming in the front doors. I encountered a situation last night that the reception lady noticed and acted promply on....someone had taken my hotel slippers while I was in the sauna (it happens once in awhile at the saunas, no big deal) she noticed I was bare feet and offered me new slippers right away, I was blown away how observant they were.
We were pleasantly surprised to see 2 complementary bottles of water left in our vechicle by the valet staff upon our departure.
I had told my husband why does one have to go to Mexico for a holiday, we have everything plus more right here in B.C. at this Resort.
Thanks Sparkling Hill Resort for giving us "together" time which was much overdo!!

3 Thank Deb S
SparklingHill, Manager at Sparkling Hill Resort, responded to this review, 9 May 2014
Dear Deb,

We truly appreciate you providing us with your first review ever! What an honor! I am so delighted to hear what a wonderful experience you had with us at Sparkling Hill. I am glad that you enjoyed our Superior Lakeview room, the view truly is breathtaking. Thank you for mentioning how outstanding the meals and service was in both of our Restaurants and the reception staff. We are very fortunate to have such dedicated and passionate team members.

Thank you so much for taking the time to provide us with your review and we greatly look forward to providing you “together” time again in the future!

Quesnel, B.C., Canada
Reviewed 8 May 2014

We booked our room for $145.00 a night so that was a very good deal for such a beautiful spot. Our meals were excellent at the restaurant except I wouldn't order the cupcake dessert again as I think it was rather small and ordinary tasting, nothing special for the money, but that is a minor complaint. I recommend it to all for a great spa experience!!

1 Thank qseaturtle
Thank you for your review. I am so pleased to hear that you had an excellent stay and meals. It is also wonderful that you had time to experience our KurSpa as it does provide a lot of complimentary amenities for all of our guests! I am however, sorry to hear that you did not enjoy the cupcake dessert, we appreciate this feedback as it allows us to learn and improve.

Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future!

Reviewed 5 May 2014 via mobile

I am a little surprised to read some less than favourable reviews as we have just returnd from a one night stay and loved it. We had given each other gift cards for Christmas and finally had time to use them. We were greeted by a valet, waited a short time to check in and made our way to our lovely room. As we were getting settled the front desk called to ask us if everything was ok and someone slipped our dinner certificate under the door. We thought the staff were very attentive. We spent time in the pools and saunas, enjoying it very much. We had a fantastic dinner in the PeakFine Restaurant and again felt very spoiled. The prices were at the top of what we would generally pay but we thought the quality and quantity were in keeping with the prices. The service in the restaurant was very attentive and friendly. The room was very comfortable and well appointed although I did notice some of the towels were getting a little frayed. There were lots of towels, the bedding was fresh and bed comfortable. I hate the grungy reused bedspreads in most hotels! After a cozy night in our beautiful mountain view room we had another lovely meal at PeakFine Restaurant's lovely breakfast buffet. We left feeling well fed and spoiled and trying to think of an excuse to come again. Our anniversary is September.... I can only hope! Thank you for a memorable evening Saprkling Hills!

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank 123sierra
SparklingHill, Manager at Sparkling Hill Resort, responded to this review, 6 May 2014
Dear Sierra,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your wonderful review! It is very rewarding to hear what a great visit you had with us. I am pleased that you found the staff to be very attentive, we have been working on this over the last few months. It is also excellent that you enjoyed our PeakFine restaurant and had two fantastic dinners and breakfasts! Our KurSpa is the heart of the hotel and I am glad that you were able to experience all of the facilities that it offers as well.

I am pleased to inform you that we do have a new towel order on the way and it should arrive by next month!

Thank you so much again for your review and we look forward to welcoming you back in September or hopefully sooner!

Penticton, Canada
Reviewed 5 May 2014

My wife and I recently spent 2 night at Sparkling Hills resort for our anniversary.
Our room was fabulous, the pools were great, and I was very impressed with the variety of saunas.
I found the service staff in every area to be knowledgeable and very helpful.
Special thanks to Marco VanDam for giving us that extra attention in making our anniversary more special.
The food was also a highlight as it was absolutely among the best experiences I've had in blending of flavours and food presentation. Thank you to your chefs and their kitchen staff.

Room Tip: Mountain view rooms are less expensive. We had a corner room #233 which is considered a mountain vie...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your kind review and for celebrating your Anniversary with us! We feel very honored that you had picked Sparkling Hill for such a special occasion. I am so pleased to hear that you found the rooms to be fabulous and enjoyed the pools and steams and saunas. It is excellent that all of the staff were very helpful and that you found them to be knowledgeable.
I would also like to thank you for specifically mentioning Marco our Restaurant Manager, we are very fortunate to have him as part of our team and I am so delighted to hear that he made your anniversary even more special.

It is also wonderful that you were able to experience our PeakFine Restaurant and found the food and presentation to be excellent, I will gladly pass these compliments onto our Chef’s!

Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back!

Operations Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Vernon
Fairfield Inn & Suites Vernon
#6 of 20 in Vernon
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Vernon
Vernon Lodge and Conference Centre
The Castle at Swan Lake

Been to Sparkling Hill Resort? Share your experiences!