“no sparkle - too many little things gone wrong” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sparkling Hill Resort

Sparkling Hill Resort
Ranked #2 of 20 Hotels in Vernon
“no sparkle - too many little things gone wrong”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2014

I won’t be back, there were too many disappointing experiences. They have a lot of things to fix.

There are just too many little things that made this a very frustrating holiday. The best thing I can say is the staff (not management) was great (masseuse’s and waitresses) and the facilities were clean… but shouldn’t that be a given?

ROOM

-no black out curtains, we came to sleep in and relax… past 4am.
-halfway noise came through was surprisingly loud.
-no sheet - just a duvet so we were either too hot or too cold
-no a/c. We tried everything to control the temperature as it was always hot in the room, we couldn’t get it below 23 degrees

The windows should probably have some privacy tinting so people outside can’t see you sitting in the room’s bathtub

RESTAURANT

Breakfast

Yes, the breakfast is included, but I would rather order from a menu so I knew what I was getting. Nothing is labelled. For those with food allergies/sensitivities BEWARE. Plus the food service area is packed and there is no one around to ask about ingredients.. or even what that creamy, lumpy off white coloured stuff is… although should you really have to stop and ask?

Breakfast is done by 10am, but get there by 9:30 or things will be gone... so much for sleeping in or even having a relaxing morning

Lunch

Only served 11-2, so you’ll have to plan your day around that, your spa treatments and the sauna’s being closed. Not fun. You can try a walk on the trails, but be careful as they are not well marked.

Dinner

This was by far the most disappointing experience at the resort. I sent my dinner back two nights in a row as the meat was overdone. We both found the veggies/sides just ok, a bit bland. The cheese and wine selections however, were good. The meals are overpriced in my view, particularly given my negative experiences.

Someone at an adjacent lake view table wanted to blinds pulled, so our table and the four other tables all lost our view. if you don’t want the sun in your eyes, maybe don’t sit next to the window???

Both the AGM and restaurant manager came over to apologize for my meal being wrong on the second night in a row. However, they each spoke, then listened to my partner respond and walked away without giving me a chance to answer, or frankly, even asking what the issue was. I was the one having the dinner problems! That was probably the worst and sealed my disappointing experience.

FYI You basically have to make a dinner reservation or you’ll have long delays getting your food

SPA

There is no proper signage for the pools/steams area. It’s not clear that they are inside the spa/massage facility. The sign for ‘cleanse’ on the 3rd floor is actually a meeting room.

I travel alot and did not find the layout intuitive. I also overheard many other guests wondering out loud where the sauna's were.

The steam rooms/sauna's are closed from 11-4 so don’t bother staying more than one night. We came to get massages and have sauna’s before/after our massages and basically couldn't do it. They need to find a way to make the sauna’s accessible all day long as that is the point of this resort!

There are no towels in sauna area and no basket for used towels. You have to walk back to the massage check in area, wait in line…

Yes there are lockers, but you don’t realize you need a lock until you are at the end of the halfway, then you have to walk all the way back and wait in line…

OVERALL

I had to stop and ask staff basic questions far too many times because of poor signage or no labelling. I came to spend time with my partner, not the staff.

When I suggested some of these things about labelling, the staff always said ‘just ask us’… but I shouldn’t have to and there often isn’t anyone around/available.

I notice the AGM comments on all these reviews.. perhaps it’s time to fix some of the problems I mentioned (and many other guests), rather than spending time commenting on the reviews?

I came to have a relaxing weekend, but because of their restrictive opening and closing times, I ended up having to do a lot of planning.. or ordering expensive room service and not getting to use the services.

Skip the Sparkling Hill, go to a Fairmont. That way when you’re paying five star prices, you’ll get the 5 star services.

Room Tip: Get a 'lake' view as the 'valley' view rooms do not have black out curtains and have...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
8 Thank Alulalei
SparklingHill, Manager at Sparkling Hill Resort, responded to this review, 21 June 2014
Thank you for providing us with your review. I am truly sorry to hear that you will not return to Sparkling Hill. It is disappointing that you did not enjoy your room as this is not our usual feedback, we normally provide additional sheets to any guests that find the duvet to be too hot and our A/C normally is able to go to 18C. We do also have two sets of blinds, the first set of blinds is a privacy blind for guests to use if they wish to use the bathtub that is situated in front of the floor to ceiling window.

I am also sorry to hear that you were unable to ask about the ingredients on the breakfast buffet, we are working on labeling everything so guests do not need to ask but until this is implemented we do normally have our Chef’s and servers available to answer any questions. Guests with dietary restrictions will normally inform their server ahead of time and we are always happy to accommodate. It is our standard remove items from the breakfast buffet at 10:10am, I apologize if this happened earlier to you. Our Barrique & Java is available from 9am – midnight every day for beverages or meals, most guests enjoy lunch at Barrique & Java as it is a lighter fare than in our PeakFine restaurant which is available from 11am – 2pm. I am sorry to hear that you were not informed about Barrique & Java as an additional lunch option.

I am very surprised that our Restaurant Manager and Assistant General Manager came to your table at dinner to apologize and then left without giving you a chance to answer, I would greatly appreciate if I could investigate into this matter further. If you would be willing to provide me with additional details (date of stay and room number) please contact me at jana.gohl@sparklinghill.com or 250-541-2174.

I can assure you that we are working very hard at addressing any items that our guests bring to our attention whether it is via trip advisor or any other form but some may take longer than others to address. Thank you very much for your feedback as all guest feedback allows us the opportunity to improve our services and facilities for our guests.

Operations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (710)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Kamloops, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2014

just got back from a 2 night stay and wow, was it fantastic! the staff was friendly, courteous and extremely helpfull from check in to check out. the room was beautiful, clean and had everything we needed (except in room coffee, but hey, still awesome!). the steam rooms and pools we wonderful, the massage we had excellent and the food! i can't recommend this resort enough!

Room Tip: the lakeview rooms are the best!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Dear Tracey,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. I am so pleased to hear what a fabulous time you had at Sparkling Hill! Thank you so much for mentioning how excellent everything was from our staff to the complimentary KurSpa amenities to the massages and to the food! What a truly wonderful compliment!

Thank you so much again. We very much look forward to welcoming you or any of your recommended family and friends to Sparkling Hill!

BC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014

I see the lake everyday, but seeing it from a top this beautiful hotel was a treat. It's understandable why people come from far and wide to stay here. It is truly serene and spectacular at the same time. Had an amazing dinner in the Gernot Room, went on a long and winding hike through the forest, and experienced some new spa treatments. There for two nights and it felt like four.
(one tiny negative - they need new towels ! )

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you very much for your review. It is wonderful to hear what a relaxing and rejuvenating time you had with us! I am so delighted that you had an amazing dinner in our Gernot’s Room, it is a very special and unique room built for our owner, Mr. Gernot Langes-Swarovski. It is also exciting to hear that you experienced some new spa treatments, I hope you enjoyed them! I am pleased to let you know that we just received our new towel order yesterday!

Thank you again and we look forward to your return.

Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2014

Stayed at this resort/spa hotel for three nights recently on a girls' getaway. Service was excellent. The rooms have a spectacular view, and are beautifully appointed. Spa facilities and treatments were of the highest quality. Walking trails around the resort were pleasant. The restaurant was good, but not of the quality expected for this type of resort. We did not want to travel off-site but noted other visitors who were driving elsewhere to dine.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Traveller4fun_12
SparklingHill, Manager at Sparkling Hill Resort, responded to this review, 13 June 2014
Thank you for your review! I am so pleased to hear that you stayed with us for a girls’ getaway and found the service to be excellent. I appreciate you mentioning that the spa facilities and the treatments were of the highest quality, this is very rewarding for us to hear. It is wonderful that you were able to experience the restaurant as well but am sorry to hear that you expected a different quality, I would love to receive some more specific feedback if I could, please feel free to email me at jana.gohl@sparklinghill.com.

Thank you so much again and we look forward to welcoming you back!

Vancouver
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2014

Spectacular location. The lake views are uncompromised but the “lesser” side, east towards Predator Ridge is nothing to sneer at despite some TA quibbling. The restaurant has great views, even if away from the window. The spa facilities are wonderful; from actual medical treatments to luxe pampering; kudos on the diversity. The variety of steams, saunas, the foyer, spa layout, the open spaces, excellent. Standard rooms have large showers, spa tubs, comfortable beds, nice fluffy towels and an array of mood lighting options emphasizing the crystal theme. Staff are friendly. Loved our stay.

That said, this is a luxury property, and there is a wide berth for improvement. Let’s start with small things: No tea or coffee in the room. How about a kettle, some herbal tea and a French press? Free coffee is at the restaurant until late morning. Why not all day? Two free bottled waters every second day. Every second day? How miserly is that? Why? This isn’t the Motel 6. The pool locker room is huge and modern and well designed, with a single doll house sized trash can at the sinks that overflows immediately and looks disgraceful. The rooms need six more hooks minimum. For towels, for swim suits. If you’re going to short change on hangers, at least add some hooks. The pillows are weirdly uncomfortable; try sitting propped up in bed; you will need a massage in the spa! The toaster at breakfast is woefully pathetic; it requires double toasting at a minimum. Add a guest queue and you get the picture. While breakfast is included you can’t order premium coffee drinks. The trails around the property are superb and well-marked but you never know where you are; since they are numbered on the paper map, why not number them (or name each marker) on the actual trail? Weirdly, there is no outdoor patio to have a cocktail—but there is plenty of room and opportunity for such a wonderful spot. There are two great pools, indoor and out, but no lap pool. There is room to expand the pool deck so it would be a little less cramped and it is cramped and when guests are around it you can't walk the perimiter. It’s unfortunate they didn’t build out the pool deck to avoid a glass wall around the view perimeter (a la any number of infinity pools on roof decks) and to make space to move. And here is a huge disappointment: You are in the heart of BC wine country and there is no corkscrew in the room. That is patently ludicrous; from Coast to Fairmont brands you see the inexpensive plastic corkscrews that double as a bottle opener and which guests are free to take home.

While this is a great property with a lot to offer, they seem to have lost sight of all the minor details that guests are accustomed to and expect, especially at the high end of the market.

Room Tip: There is a separate elevator for the spa. It's pretty handy if your room is nearby!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Overseez
SparklingHill, Manager at Sparkling Hill Resort, responded to this review, 12 June 2014
Thank you very much for taking the time to provide us with your review! I am so delighted to hear that you loved your stay and were able to enjoy all of the complimentary amenities that are included such as the KurSpa. The KurSpa is the heart of the hotel and I am so excited that you found it to be simply wonderful! Majority of our guests do enjoy our beds and am glad that you agree.

I would also like to thank you for the feedback that you provided regarding the areas that we can improve on. We do offer coffee from 9am – midnight in our Barrique & Java for our guests. It would also be our pleasure to provide you with a complimentary water bottle when you wish, you just need to advise the front desk and we will deliver one. We have noticed with majority of our guests that they do not require the water to be replaced on the second day so we have placed on the sign in front of the bottles that if they wish to have water before the second day to please call the front desk. I am sorry that you were not informed of this and that it was not visible. Our Barrique & Java does also have a small patio for guests to enjoy drinks in the beautiful Okanagan weather if they wish, I again apologize that this was not mentioned to you. Thank you for your recommendation of expanding our outdoor pool deck, this is something we are considering and your feedback is greatly appreciated. I am very disappointed and sorry to hear that you did not have a cork screw in your room, all rooms do normally have cork screws on the desk by the red wine bottle.

Thank you very much again for all of your feedback, we will most certainly reflect on it and hope to welcome you back as a return guest.

Maple Ridge, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2014

The highlight of our fairly large group experience (24 aprox) was our dinner at Gernots in the basement. The young chefs served up some of the most creative, exquisite dishes most of us had ever tasted. The management is truly lucky to have such high quality chefs.

For me, the hotel atmosphere was institutional and sterile, more like a hospital than a hotel. We had to keep our voices low in most of the areas. If you are big into the spa lifestyle, then perhaps this is the place to be. But try finding some entertainment after 10:00 p.m., good luck.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Ray W
Dear Ray,

Thank you for your review. I am so pleased to hear how much you enjoyed your dinner in Gernot’s. Our Chef’s work very hard at providing a delicious and sensational meal to all of our guests. We do feel very fortunate to have such committed and creative chefs!

I am sorry to hear that you felt the hotel atmosphere was not pleasurable, we are a destination wellness hotel so do ask all of our guests to use quiet voices to not disturb any treatments in session or other guests that are relaxing and rejuvenating.

Thank you again for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back!

parksville
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014

Truly a wonderful stay. so much attention to detail! I love the look and design of this hotel a great juxtaposition to the landscape. the swarovski details are so unique and fun.
The service was exemplary. Little details they picked up was amazing- "oh i noticed there wasn't enough dressing on your salad so I brought you more" even before we said anything.
great service, awesome spa. So relaxing, the pool was divine. The only thing is one minor detail on the spa- (which treatments were amazing by the way) we asked for a tour first to get to know it, and they were very brusque. here is this and over there is that- Had we known or been told we could use the shower sprays inside the steam rooms to clean the seats, we would have loved that, we only knew because we eventually did see others doing that...
the facial was fantastic and the glacial mud wrap. lovely.
I stayed with a good friend- so one thing also to note- is the showers in the room are really for couples-- no privacy ATALL in the showers. so its a little uncomfy. A person could leave so a room mate could shower though.
the views are amazing. over all the best experience and I cannot wait to go again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank canadabanada
SparklingHill, Manager at Sparkling Hill Resort, responded to this review, 10 June 2014
Thank you very much for your review! I am so pleased to hear that you had a truly wonderful stay and enjoyed all of the attention to detail. It is also excellent that you found the service to be exemplary. Our KurSpa is the heart of the hotel and it is so rewarding to hear what a fantastic time you had in it, including the relaxing pool and the treatments you had booked.

I appreciate the feedback you provided regarding the tour of the spa, we will most certainly consider providing a more in depth tour!

Thank you so much again and we look forward to your return.

Operations Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Vernon
Fairfield Inn & Suites Vernon
Prestige Hotel Vernon
#6 of 20 in Vernon
Vernon Lodge and Conference Centre
The Castle at Swan Lake

Been to Sparkling Hill Resort? Share your experiences!