“High price for average service”

Sparkling Hill Resort
Ranked #2 of 20 Hotels in Vernon
Kootenays
“High price for average service”
Reviewed 4 July 2014

My girlfriends and I booked a 3 night getaway at Sparkling Hills and were hoping if all went well we would make it a yearly trip.

Upon check in we were rudely greeted by a particular front desk woman. The valet guy was very sweet and came up to the room to show us around. We were surprised to notice the room was quite warm (23 degrees) and the temperature could not be adjusted the whole weekend despite two attempts to repair it by maintenance. The windows are not allowed to be open at night since the squirrels can crawl in. There should be a screen so that the windows can be open during the night.

We also brought a few snacks that needed chilling, but the fridge was no colder than 15 degrees so by day two everything we brought was not edible. The front desk said the fridge was not meant to keep things cool. I also brought a nice platter for our snacks and it was removed by room service. I tried many times to get a friend to pick my platter up after I realized it was missing but it was never found and nobody ever got back to me after phone calls and an email.

They advertise on their website for a girls getaway, but the rooms are set up for couples only since there is no privacy to take a bath or shower.

We were also there the same weekend as a noisy wedding . We felt like the wedding was a priority and that we were just an annoyance. If we required any room service we were told that it will take awhile because the wedding was going on. We had drunk people continuously knocking on our door at 4am.
One of my friends finally spoke to management herself and we were given a complementary 2 course meal for dinner which helped.

Upon check out I was told that the 3 nights and the spa treatments were all charged on my credit card without my permission. We had gift cards to pay for the spa treatments which I confirmed we would do at the time of booking. They had offered to reverse the charges once the manager stepped in.

Overall the service in the restaurant was excellent and so was the service in the spa. I agree with other reviews that breakfast needs to be served later for guests who would like to sleep in... And blackout curtains.

The manager was great. She seemed stressed and that is probably caused by some incompetent staff and having to correct everyone else's mistakes.

I wish the experience was better because is truly is a beautiful place. They either need to lower their prices, or smooth the kinks out.

• Stayed June 2014
3 Thank Kalikooler
SparklingHill, Manager at Sparkling Hill Resort, responded to this review, 5 July 2014
Thank you very much for your review. It is terrific that you found the service in the restaurant and the spa to be excellent. I am very sorry to hear of the areas that left you feeling disappointed. Normally all of our front desk team members are friendly and helpful to all guests. We do currently still have mini bars in most of our rooms that unfortunately, do not get as cold as mini fridges but we are working on fixing this for the future. You are right, our rooms are more of an open concept which does not have a lot of privacy.

We do have weddings in our hotel on some weekends and we try our best at having the wedding guests remain quiet and respect the others guests peacefulness, unfortunately, not all guests are considerate of this. I am truly sorry that you were disturbed by them.

Our team members try to do the best job they possibly can, some may be new and may still require further training but they do try their personal best which we appreciate and support.

I would like to investigate further into your stay, if I may, to find out who checked you in and which room you were in (to look into the air conditioning), as well as which managers you spoke to prior to departure. If you would like to share your name with me so I can look into this further I would greatly appreciate it, you can email me directly at jana.gohl@sparklinghill.com.

Thank you again for your review and I do hope you allow us to learn from your experience.

Operations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (739)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Reviewed 2 July 2014

Had a wonderful 3 night get away with my husband at the end of Sept (2013). Loved the room, the spa services and all the steam rooms. The weather wasn't very good, but it didn't matter! Not surprised to find the food expensive as the resort is a little isolated, and therefore not much for options unless you drive into town. Food was ok for the price, but not amazing. Our only wish is that there was something in between the limited cafe selection and the fine dining of the restaurant.

We also had a great wine tour with MJO Tours. But alas, all that delicious wine has been waiting to be opened! I've been off the sauce since that weekend where we most definitely conceived the newest addition to our family. Thanks Sparkling Hill! A son is a sweet parting gift from a lovely weekend.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you so much for your wonderful review and congratulations on your beautiful son! It is so great to hear that you enjoyed your 3 night getaway last September with us and that you loved the room, the spa services and all of the steam rooms! We did have a new Executive Chef join us since your last visit and we have received some excellent feedback regarding his dishes! Hopefully you will enjoy them next time you visit.

Thank you so much again and I do hope to welcome you all back in the near future.

Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 2 July 2014

The building is well designed and the rooms are quite nice in a modular Euro - style. The floor to ceiling glass wall with a wide panel that opens is a nice touch (see tip below). The food is very average and the small café has an Ikea cafeteria feel. There is no lounge or bar and only a couple of outdoor tables off the café where you can get a glass of wine outside - surprising in wine country with a wide unobstructed lake view. The staff is trying hard but can't make up for what seem to be management decisions aimed at cost cutting. We stayed three nights - the water glasses in our room were never changed; our used coffee cups were not removed when the room was made up; the wall mounted soap and shampoo system is really annoying - tiny quantities after a dozen knuckle-scraping pumps made us decide to just get our own products; we were late for two dinner reservations because of delays by the valet in bringing up our car. Small things, but you expect better in a 4 or 5 star hotel. If you are really into Swarovski crystals you might like this place, but we found it disappointing overall.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the lake side or as far from the entrance as possible on the golf course side...
5 Thank MMJMacLeod
Thank you very much for your review. I am delighted to hear that you found the building to be well designed and that you enjoyed the floor to ceiling windows throughout the hotel that truly draws nature in. It is normally our standard to replace any water glasses in the guest rooms that are used. I am sorry to hear that you had difficulties with the wall mounted soap and shampoo system, we will reconsider this. It is disappointing to hear that you were late for two dinner reservations due to our valet, we normally try to bring up the vehicles as quickly as possible especially when there is advance notice provided. I would love to receive more information from you regarding your comment of management decisions to cut costs, any information you are willing to share I would greatly appreciate, you can email me directly at jana.gohl@sparklinghill.com

Thank you again and we do hope you allow us to learn from your experience and return in the near future.

Newmarket, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 30 June 2014

We spent two days and nights at Sparkling Hill. Our room was very clean, the staff were all super friendly and helpful, and the spa divine. The food at the restaurants were ok. What surprised me were the lack of details over the little things. The towels all had frayed edges from being worn. The shampoos and soaps provided in the shower was nothing special. I was expecting the rich body lotions and bath oils they use in the spa so I can try them and purchase to take home if I wished. There was a large mirror placed over the tv angled high at the bed and I'm not sure why. Also the beautiful bathtub in my room faced nature and the parking lot and everyone could see me naked if I didn't pull down the blinds. Why would I want to pull down the blinds and obstruct the nature views?? Why are the windows not tinted so outside cannot see in? It was a nice stay but at those rates I've been to better.

Room Tip: Ask for a water view room
4 Thank Harley1101
SparklingHill, Manager at Sparkling Hill Resort, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
Dear Suzanne,

Thank you very much for your review. I am so delighted to hear that you found your room to be clean, the staff to be super friendly and helpful and the spa to be divine! I am, however; very sorry to hear that you were disappointed with our towels, we currently received a new order and are still working on replacing any old towels in the rooms. Our soaps are from Gilchrist & Soames and are from the BeeKind collection. They have honey and certified organic extracts of red clover, calendula, lemongrass and chamomile, most guests find it very soothing. A portion of the net profits of the product also support honey bee and sustainable pollination research, due to much guest requests we actually sell these items in the spa now as well!

There is a large mirror that is placed over the TV and angled high, if I may explain the reasoning of this. No matter where you are in the room you have a beautiful view, the bed, the shower, the bathtub, etc. the only place in the room where you cannot see the beautiful view is actually from the desk in the room, now if you sit in the chair at the desk and turn around and look at the mirror above the bed it reflects the beautiful view! This way, no matter where you are in the room, you have a stunning view to admire!

Thank you again for your review and I hope you return in the future.

Reviewed 28 June 2014

If you like Crystals this is the place for you....the location blends into the hill side and you are very close to nature. When strolling along their path's you will come across tame dear...turtles..etc. They have a variety of sauna's to chose from...to infinity pools. The food is excellent.

Room Tip: room facing the lake and on a higher floor as the windows are huge and can show everything and littl...
2 Thank Angelien M
SparklingHill, Manager at Sparkling Hill Resort, responded to this review, 29 June 2014
Dear Angelien,

Thank you very much for your excellent review. I hope that you had a truly wonderful and relaxing stay with us! We do try to bring the beautiful nature into the hotel with our floor to ceiling windows and limited pictures throughout the hotel, I am so glad that you enjoyed this. We are very fortunate to have such natural beauty around us including adorable deer, turtles and marmots! It is fantastic that you were able to enjoy our steam and saunas and the infinity pool and that you found the food to be excellent!

Thank you so much and we look forward to your return.

Qualicum Beach, Canada
Reviewed 26 June 2014

Summary first: I liked this place. The staff are well-trained, service-oriented, and cosmopolitan; the views are phenomenal; both the formal and casual restaurants are excellent.

But gee ... It was only AFTER I'd done the dance with no pants that I learned the large floor-to-ceiling picture windows in our suite were made of two-way glass. All those people in the pool, mouths open, noses tilted upward? Unfortunately, they got an eyeful in the full frontal lewdity/crudity/nudity department.

How many hotel guests know their private parts are on public display at Sparkling Hill? Especially when the bathtub is situated slam-bam-thank-you-ma'am directly in front of the bank of view windows in every suite ("Hey, Mabel ... gedda-loada THIS view!").

There is a complicated but perfectly logical explanation why the windows are two-way glass. If you ask, the very charming AGM of maintenance will tell you how this came to be. Nonetheless ... Sparkling Hill needs to address this problem - at the very least, with a cautionary note to bathers.

Minor kvetches? Provide a couple of hooks in the shower, please. Wet bathing suits need a place to dry. Provide some chairs that are actually shallow enough to SIT in rather than slump (as quaint as it sounds, some troglodytes actually like to READ). Provide a couple of games tables in the lounge so guests can play board games and cards. The present tables are so low as to be non-functional (Please see the Note following this review).

Little things mean a lot: I have never seen a bar fridge with thicker ice or a thinner selection of beverages.

On the first morning of our two-night stay, the SUPERB buffet breakfast was marred by a bunch of deeply brown bananas plunked into a fruit bowl. Both points suggest the need for staff overseers to check the work of juniors.

The hotel offers several scenic but poorly marked walks. The trails need far better signage.

I feel churlish pointing out these little faults when so many other things were spot-on and when the staff were charming and eager to please.

As for the 3.5 million crystals (at a value of some $10 million) that give Sparkling Hill its name ... I'm afraid I'm not a "gimmick" person, and this is a gimmick. I'm sure the crystals wow many guests - it was smart marketing for the hotel's Austrian founders to have set themselves apart from other spa resorts this way - but the overdone theme left me cold.

The custom-made bath tub? Although it looks like a coffin, it's intended to resemble a huge crystal. The room's odd, non-functional angles? Ditto. The odd protrusions at the entrance to the building? The facets of a crystal. Each room's faux fireplace made of crystals that glow red by night? Too precious for me - and I'm not referring to price. The night lights that form a crystal pattern on the ceiling? The pinpoint ceiling lights like stars? One person's fish is another's poisson.

Give me a well-stocked, defrosted bar fridge, a chair where I can read, and a table where I can play cards, and I'll be very happy, thanks. If the staff hadn't been so delightful, I would have given this resort two stars. As it is, it rates three. The dining room, however, rates four stars for food, presentation, value, service, atmosphere, and view. FORGET the crystal theme. The dining room - and food services AGM Josef Weichinger - are the REAL gems in this joint!

NOTE: While it is surely not in his job description, and although it took 45 minutes, maintenance AGM John Salisbury magically produced a card table for us even though the resort had none. My suspicion is that he got it from a private residence. We found this an example of superb service.

FURTHER NOTE: We did not use the spa services, so this review is technically incomplete.

Room Tip: Although we had a lake-facing view, the sweep of pastoral and hilly views at the front of the resort...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank PackMyBags815383
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. I am so delighted to hear that you found the staff to be well-trained and service oriented and the restaurants to be excellent! I am however, very sorry to hear that you were not informed when you were escorted to your room that there are two sets of blinds available for guests to use, one is the blackout blind and the other is the privacy blind, we will remind our bellman to ensure they mention this.

I would also like to thank you for all of the additional feedback you provided to us that allows us to improve our facility and guest experience such as additional hooks, the mini bar and the trails.

To provide you with a little background as to why we have over 3.5 million Swarovski crystals throughout the hotel, Sparkling Hill is privately owned by Mr. Gernot Langes-Swarovski the patriarch of Swarovski crystals. One of his excellent employees worked very hard at deciding where every single crystal went in the whole hotel (you may have noticed his picture in the lobby above the restaurant, he mirrors another genius of another time).

I am so pleased to hear that John was able to assist you with finding a card table, he is great and you are absolutely right, Josef is a gem of Sparkling Hill!

Thank you again and we hope to welcome you back in the future!

Reviewed 20 June 2014

I won’t be back, there were too many disappointing experiences. They have a lot of things to fix.

There are just too many little things that made this a very frustrating holiday. The best thing I can say is the staff (not management) was great (masseuse’s and waitresses) and the facilities were clean… but shouldn’t that be a given?

ROOM

-no black out curtains, we came to sleep in and relax… past 4am.
-halfway noise came through was surprisingly loud.
-no sheet - just a duvet so we were either too hot or too cold
-no a/c. We tried everything to control the temperature as it was always hot in the room, we couldn’t get it below 23 degrees

The windows should probably have some privacy tinting so people outside can’t see you sitting in the room’s bathtub

RESTAURANT

Breakfast

Yes, the breakfast is included, but I would rather order from a menu so I knew what I was getting. Nothing is labelled. For those with food allergies/sensitivities BEWARE. Plus the food service area is packed and there is no one around to ask about ingredients.. or even what that creamy, lumpy off white coloured stuff is… although should you really have to stop and ask?

Breakfast is done by 10am, but get there by 9:30 or things will be gone... so much for sleeping in or even having a relaxing morning

Lunch

Only served 11-2, so you’ll have to plan your day around that, your spa treatments and the sauna’s being closed. Not fun. You can try a walk on the trails, but be careful as they are not well marked.

Dinner

This was by far the most disappointing experience at the resort. I sent my dinner back two nights in a row as the meat was overdone. We both found the veggies/sides just ok, a bit bland. The cheese and wine selections however, were good. The meals are overpriced in my view, particularly given my negative experiences.

Someone at an adjacent lake view table wanted to blinds pulled, so our table and the four other tables all lost our view. if you don’t want the sun in your eyes, maybe don’t sit next to the window???

Both the AGM and restaurant manager came over to apologize for my meal being wrong on the second night in a row. However, they each spoke, then listened to my partner respond and walked away without giving me a chance to answer, or frankly, even asking what the issue was. I was the one having the dinner problems! That was probably the worst and sealed my disappointing experience.

FYI You basically have to make a dinner reservation or you’ll have long delays getting your food

SPA

There is no proper signage for the pools/steams area. It’s not clear that they are inside the spa/massage facility. The sign for ‘cleanse’ on the 3rd floor is actually a meeting room.

I travel alot and did not find the layout intuitive. I also overheard many other guests wondering out loud where the sauna's were.

The steam rooms/sauna's are closed from 11-4 so don’t bother staying more than one night. We came to get massages and have sauna’s before/after our massages and basically couldn't do it. They need to find a way to make the sauna’s accessible all day long as that is the point of this resort!

There are no towels in sauna area and no basket for used towels. You have to walk back to the massage check in area, wait in line…

Yes there are lockers, but you don’t realize you need a lock until you are at the end of the halfway, then you have to walk all the way back and wait in line…

OVERALL

I had to stop and ask staff basic questions far too many times because of poor signage or no labelling. I came to spend time with my partner, not the staff.

When I suggested some of these things about labelling, the staff always said ‘just ask us’… but I shouldn’t have to and there often isn’t anyone around/available.

I notice the AGM comments on all these reviews.. perhaps it’s time to fix some of the problems I mentioned (and many other guests), rather than spending time commenting on the reviews?

I came to have a relaxing weekend, but because of their restrictive opening and closing times, I ended up having to do a lot of planning.. or ordering expensive room service and not getting to use the services.

Skip the Sparkling Hill, go to a Fairmont. That way when you’re paying five star prices, you’ll get the 5 star services.

Room Tip: Get a 'lake' view as the 'valley' view rooms do not have black out curtains and have...
8 Thank Alulalei
SparklingHill, Manager at Sparkling Hill Resort, responded to this review, 21 June 2014
Thank you for providing us with your review. I am truly sorry to hear that you will not return to Sparkling Hill. It is disappointing that you did not enjoy your room as this is not our usual feedback, we normally provide additional sheets to any guests that find the duvet to be too hot and our A/C normally is able to go to 18C. We do also have two sets of blinds, the first set of blinds is a privacy blind for guests to use if they wish to use the bathtub that is situated in front of the floor to ceiling window.

I am also sorry to hear that you were unable to ask about the ingredients on the breakfast buffet, we are working on labeling everything so guests do not need to ask but until this is implemented we do normally have our Chef’s and servers available to answer any questions. Guests with dietary restrictions will normally inform their server ahead of time and we are always happy to accommodate. It is our standard remove items from the breakfast buffet at 10:10am, I apologize if this happened earlier to you. Our Barrique & Java is available from 9am – midnight every day for beverages or meals, most guests enjoy lunch at Barrique & Java as it is a lighter fare than in our PeakFine restaurant which is available from 11am – 2pm. I am sorry to hear that you were not informed about Barrique & Java as an additional lunch option.

I am very surprised that our Restaurant Manager and Assistant General Manager came to your table at dinner to apologize and then left without giving you a chance to answer, I would greatly appreciate if I could investigate into this matter further. If you would be willing to provide me with additional details (date of stay and room number) please contact me at jana.gohl@sparklinghill.com or 250-541-2174.

I can assure you that we are working very hard at addressing any items that our guests bring to our attention whether it is via trip advisor or any other form but some may take longer than others to address. Thank you very much for your feedback as all guest feedback allows us the opportunity to improve our services and facilities for our guests.

Operations Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Vernon
Fairfield Inn & Suites Vernon
#1 of 34 in Kelowna
Predator Ridge Resort
Predator Ridge Resort
#6 of 20 in Vernon

Been to Sparkling Hill Resort? Share your experiences!